What is unique about the Max Trailering package on the 6.2L?

The Max Trailering package can't be found on lots.  I have the 6.2L , Premium Plus, Z71 and I'm wondering what it would take to come close to duplicating the Max Trailering Package.

So here is what GMC's sight says:

3.42 rear axle ratio
- Yes, this one is a given - and an important upgrade.  Gear swap required.

Integrated trailer brake controller

- Available as a stand alone or part of a couple different packages - nothing unique to the Max Trailering Package

8-speed automatic transmission

- Premium Plus and Denali both have this 

Increased towing and GCWR rating

- Just a rating

Automatic locking rear differential

- Isn't this just a standard feature on all the 4WD trucks?

Handling/Trailering Suspension Package
- Isn't this just marketing for the shocks and springs mentioned below?

Enhanced cooling radiator
- From what I've read, the radiator comes with a transmission cooler integrated into it without this package, and not just the regular flow-through cooler that has been done for decades.  What is different about this "enhanced" cooling radiator?  Different P/N?

Revised shock tuning

-  What is different about these shocks vs. base and Z71?  Would it be an upgrade or downgrade towing wise swapping to these shocks over the Z71 shocks?

Heavier duty rear springs and increased RGAWR
- What springs are used?  P/N?  How different are they vs stock/Z71?

9.76" rear axle  
- Standard in the 6.2L trucks,

Trailer brake controller
- Yeah, it is listed twice

Trailering Equipment

- Uhhh, don't all the trucks have this?

From what I can tell and guess, there is a lot of marketing and the real differences are:

- 3.42 gears|
- Different shocks, but unsure what makes them different
- Assuming stiffer rear leafs - an easy and I'm guessing cheap swap
- "Maybe" a different radiator or external tranny cooler

Anyone with any insight on this?  

I have no idea how to response to your question in a meaningful way.

Maybe I got it wrong, but are you saying that you can't get a trailering package for the configuration of your truck?

Any truck at any configuration/trim level should come with (at least as an option to add) a trailering package.

After all, we're talking about trucks, no?

so long

j-ten-ner

6 hours ago, j-ten-ner said:

I have no idea how to response to your question in a meaningful way.

Maybe I got it wrong, but are you saying that you can't get a trailering package for the configuration of your truck?

Any truck at any configuration/trim level should come with (at least as an option to add) a trailering package.

After all, we're talking about trucks, no?

so long

j-ten-ner

Max trailering package can't be found on new '18's on dealer lots. Same goes for a number of other packages. 

Sure, you could order one but if you were doing that it would be a '19. 

I'm asking what the actual differences are between the Max trailering vs standard or Z71 6.2L truck. At least in SLT trim. 

GVWR sticker is what the DOT will look at if you are ever pulled over (highly unlikely as they usually only target 3/4 and 1 tons). This is where they will determine your fine for being over weight. Now with even half ton pickups becoming more HP capable I could see them targeting them too.
The standard 6.2 rear is a 9.5. The max trailering also has different leaf springs and the shocks are valved differently. 

If you were to compare your current half ton to an ad from the 70's or 80's you will find that they have practically the same GVWR ratings as a 3/4 ton.  And to think the the 6.2 has 300 more HP than a 350 from that era...

It’s been awhile and could be changes since. When I hauled my equipment for shows and demos I would have a combo registration. Id usually be registered for 30K with a one ton and gooseneck trailer. I would go all over the U.S. through the scales never had a second look. As long as you have your load right and it doesn’t look unsafe no problems. If you’re dragging your back bumper or going 35 Mph on the interstate, they’ll give you a look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Max trailering package can't be found on new '18's on dealer lots. Same goes for a number of other packages. 

Sure, you could order one but if you were doing that it would be a '19. 

I'm asking what the actual differences are between the Max trailering vs standard or Z71 6.2L truck. At least in SLT trim. 

There’s still ‘18s on dealer lots. Just gotta look. There were 4-5 in FL last month. I scooped mine up new, 4x4 with the 6.2 about 5 weeks ago.

The max tow gets lots of things that also come on the top level trims, but the little extras include:

Transmission cooler

Higher rate rear springs (for increased GVWR)

re-valved shocks (Not as stiff as Z71 Ranchos and very bouncy. junk, replace with Bilstein)

Towing mirrors

9.76" rear axle

Also, most of these things can be had for a little less money on the Max Tow package than getting a Premium or top tier package.

• Like 2

Springs, Mirrors, and the gears are the biggies.

Yes the shocks suck, Bilsteins are the hot ticket

If you tow this is a great package for a 1/2 ton, loved mine till I got a heavy fifth wheel that demanded more truck.

Keep looking they are worth the time spent.

8 hours ago, Nitrousbird said:

The Max Trailering package can't be found on lots.  I have the 6.2L , Premium Plus, Z71 and I'm wondering what it would take to come close to duplicating the Max Trailering Package.

Anyone with any insight on this?  

I'm in the market for an '18 with the max tow package.  The selection is getting slim but they are still around my area.  I am not restricting my search to only max tow equipped trucks because all current1500's with a V8 and 3.42 are rated to pull 9K+lbs.  This allows for a good sized trailer.  No matter what you add to your current truck you will not change the rating. What is the weight of your trailer? 

The max tow gets lots of things that also come on the top level trims, but the little extras include:

Transmission cooler

re-valved shocks (Not as stiff as Z71 Ranchos and very bouncy. junk, replace with Bilstein)

Towing mirrors

9.76" rear axle

Also, most of these things can be had for a little less money on the Max Tow package than getting a Premium or top tier package.

Correct, suspension can easily be upgraded which you’d want to replace those garbage white Ranchos preferably with Bilsteins or Eibach. The 6.2 without tow package rear end comes with the 323 and with is the 3.42 which can easily be taken care of with a better than 3.42 rear end and Tow mirrors. Either way you can’t go wrong with the 6.2, it’s the best, PERIOD! Good luck.

Sent from above

• Like 1

I'm in the market for an '18 with the max tow package.  The selection is getting slim but they are still around my area.  I am not restricting my search to only max tow equipped trucks because all current1500's with a V8 and 3.42 are rated to pull 9K+lbs.  This allows for a good sized trailer.  No matter what you add to your current truck you will not change the rating. What is the weight of your trailer? 

They can definitely be found. If the dealership you are working with is hungry enough they will transfer one in for you. Make sure you work the numbers before they transfer it so they can’t pull a fast one on ya.

My local dealership was sweating trying to get a max tow in for me as i was ready to pull the trigger that day. They transferred one from Georgia (3-400 miles) and honored the price they originally had.

• Like 1

Yeah, good luck with that! I called around for a buddy of mine, he’s decided to just wait. Just buy a 6.2 CC, Standard bed Z71 and if you need more hauling convert it or just go out and get a diesel, they’re everywhere.

Sent from above

41 minutes ago, Donstar said:

For sure, you aren't going to change the rating. The engine and brakes are what they are. But doing things like swapping for stiffer springs/shocks or adding airbags can vastly improve the ride and handling if you are frequently towing that 9,000 lbs. I've seen so many bumper pull campers following a truck with the nose in the air. I don't know how poorly they distributed their gear, but if I was going to pull one that heavy, i'd sure want to either permanently stiffen the rear end, or get adjustable bags. And I forgot to mention tires. No matter what the truck comes with stock, you can improve the trailering by getting tires with higher load rating. So my point is, you can take any stock truck and make it more capable of towing comfortably, even though the law won't notice the difference.

Edited by aseibel

1 hour ago, Kubs said:

Transmission cooler

Towing mirrors

9.76" rear axle

All the trucks have a trans cooler except I believe the v6.

as stated, max tow gets your mirrors, stiffer rear suspension, and 3.42

personally I wouldn’t want the stiffer rear suspension or the mirrors. IMO if you tow enough to justify them then I probably wouldn’t be buying a 1/2 ton.

Edited by truckguy82