Rear window leak

Demon

In addition to the water leak it was 21 degrees for the opening of trout season today and my parking sensors decided I was going to hit invisible ghosts and starting beeping non stop. Then on the way home as the 6 inches of snow was melting on the roof of my truck I was watching slow drips of water trickle down in my rearview mirror. Not a good sign considering I have not even burned through a quarter tank of gas yet!

I reached out to the contact I used with my last truck at GM Priority care and got a case number opened up. He was going to contact the district rep to see about a buy back. My main point of contention is that this is a known and documented quality control issue with certain build date trucks, and GM should be requiring dealers to verify there are no water leak issues before an early build truck still on the lot can be delivered (now that they know there is a problem).

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The parking sensors will go off in the cold and if iced over. Pretty normal for the sensors. I would go out and heat the ones up when they come on in error and it usually fixed the problem. The problem was known once multiple maintenance reports started trickling in. Since a Recall has not been established, GM will not require the Dealers to do anything unless the user brings it to their attention. Now if the Dealership knew of a problem with that truck [actually seen water and sold it] and let you buy it, Buyback case might be stronger. Being so new and the damage done, hopefully GM and the Dealer will make it right by just exchanging like wise vehicles. But in my experience, expect the "let us fix it to your satisfaction" and present you with some certificate or discount for your troubles. If this is the case, stick to your guns and ensure every swirl, scratch, trim damage, rattle etc is taken care of. Ask them them to take it to a detail shop and have paint correction done along with ceramic coating. At the minimum they should be removing everything in the rear, including the windshield, headliner, carpet, rear window and the seats. Good Luck and keep us informed.

Edited by Rocz3cqg

10 hours ago, ShamrockShooter said:

In addition to the water leak it was 21 degrees for the opening of trout season today and my parking sensors decided I was going to hit invisible ghosts and starting beeping non stop. Then on the way home as the 6 inches of snow was melting on the roof of my truck I was watching slow drips of water trickle down in my rearview mirror. Not a good sign considering I have not even burned through a quarter tank of gas yet!

I reached out to the contact I used with my last truck at GM Priority care and got a case number opened up. He was going to contact the district rep to see about a buy back. My main point of contention is that this is a known and documented quality control issue with certain build date trucks, and GM should be requiring dealers to verify there are no water leak issues before an early build truck still on the lot can be delivered (now that they know there is a problem).

Sorry to hear of your misfortune, the wanting to puke feeling is very well justified. That being said, I think you took the best course of action. Would be cool if they special ordered you a truck and gave you a nice discount, should you want to replace the TB with another TB.

Just purely hypothetical, if GM offered you free oil changes and tire rotations for 75k miles, and extended your bumper to bumper warranty to 5 year 100k miles, and the truck was repaired, would you take that, or a new replacement truck with no extra warranty or maintenance?

It depends on many things whether I would choose the incentives over a new truck. You know the old saying "Things are not always greener on the other side". Your have owned your truck for a few weeks and have not done to many mods to it which would cost you to replicate or transfer. If the Dealership replaced everything and did a great job and you could not tell that a problem ever existed, I would take the Oil and Tire changes with the extended warranty. If on the other hand the Dealership did a poor job and you knew every time you walked up to the truck, I would take my chances with a new truck.

It depends on many things whether I would choose the incentives over a new truck. You know the old saying "Things are not always greener on the other side". Your have owned your truck for a few weeks and have not done to many mods to it which would cost you to replicate or transfer. If the Dealership replaced everything and did a great job and you could not tell that a problem ever existed, I would take the Oil and Tire changes with the extended warranty. If on the other hand the Dealership did a poor job and you knew every time you walked up to the truck, I would take my chances with a new truck.
You definitely make good points. In my case I picked it up late Friday, and had the issue Sunday morning. So I didn't get a couple weeks, more like 15 miles with the vehicle.

Well my journey starts. Vehicle at the dealership and being prepped for the water leakage test.  Had talked to the mechanic and he was going to 

look at it and try to seal without removing the window. If the window has to be removed, I ask them not to remove it until I talk with the dealership and

GM about authorizing a new window so the removal process is only done once and not multiple times.