Rear window leak

Demon

5 hours ago, UGADawgs said:

Now add me to the list. I've been inspecting like a hawk since I bought the truck in March after every wash and rain storm. It is a Nov 29, 2018 build, so I thought I was safe. We had about 5" of rain in the last 24 hours in Jacksonville. I am only now seeing some drips out of each corner of the top track and a stain on the passenger side headliner. Have a appt with the dealer for Friday. He said the leaks are very common these days and 99% of them lately are due to a bad seal on the spoiler/3rd break light. They have been changing a lot of those seals and sometime the light as well he said. He said they have also been successful cleaning the headliners and not needing to replace them with a certain cleaner supplied by GM for this. 

Pass side:

image.thumb.png.d5c9a2d96ff3b5c523a86f3b72194f17.png

Drivers side:

image.thumb.png.fd381bfaa304e2fb7f22a0556ef3411b.png

Drivers side:

image.thumb.png.be3d3f4da4f9a3481e31f2108645500f.png

I’m curious about the seal on the third brake light, and what the fix is, because I was told my third brake like was really-sealed’ when I took it in the first time.  But it still leaked once it came back to me.  Did your dealer indicate the fix? A new part? Or where the seal needs to be fixed? 

Just now, Centrebaseball said:

I’m curious about the seal on the third brake light, and what the fix is, because I was told my third brake like was really-sealed’ when I took it in the first time.  But it still leaked once it came back to me.  Did your dealer indicate the fix? A new part? Or where the seal needs to be fixed? 

He just said over the phone today that they replace the seal and/or the light. Appt is this coming Friday.

Merry Christmas Everyone. My present this year was membership in the leaker club not once but TWICE! After GM bought back my 19 for the leak documented here many times in this post, my brand new 2020 Trail boss August 2019 pre strike build with 2,000 miles decided to start leaking after taking it through the car wash tonight. I've washed it several times already and no leaks up to this point. Got home and just soaked the the top down for 10 seconds with the garden hose and it's still dripping.

What did I do to deserve to get this twice? I mean really wtf.

Anyway it's leaking in the middle this time not on the ends like before. It has been below freezing and above freezing several times the past few weeks with snow, so perhaps the water froze and expanded opening up the leak. I also noticed on the driver side the rear window gasket is all smushed up on one side, so maybe the window didn't get installed properly from the factory.

I should have bought a Ford is all I can say right now.8501dd0f12735e7fad5d1686b6da24e9.jpgce0e695f011fdd0cc5b8c7ac09709c7c.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, ShamrockShooter said:

Merry Christmas Everyone. My present this year was membership in the leaker club not once but TWICE! After GM bought back my 19 for the leak documented here many times in this post, my brand new 2020 Trail boss August 2019 pre strike build with 2,000 miles decided to start leaking after taking it through the car wash tonight. I've washed it several times already and no leaks up to this point. Got home and just soaked the the top down for 10 seconds with the garden hose and it's still dripping.

Anyway it's leaking in the middle this time not on the ends like before. It has been below freezing and above freezing several times the past few weeks with snow, so perhaps the water froze and expanded opening up the leak. I also noticed on the driver side the rear window gasket is all smushed up on one side, so maybe the window didn't get installed properly from the factory.

I should have bought a Ford is all I can say right now.8501dd0f12735e7fad5d1686b6da24e9.jpgce0e695f011fdd0cc5b8c7ac09709c7c.jpg

My goodness.  I’m sorry that’s happening to you.  That window seal job looks like I remember mine looking like.  Sort of heaped up at the ends.  I don’t have it in my possession to take a photo of it right now to confirm. 

1 hour ago, ShamrockShooter said:

I should have bought a Ford is all I can say right now.

Outrageous. Really sorry to hear. I’d be done with GM forever. 

2 minutes ago, ShamrockShooter said:

Well. Other than this I love the truck. As they say, it's much easier to get married than divorced.

True. It would take a lot for me not to want to stay in a T1 Silverado. The other options just don’t do it for me. 

My RST goes in at 0900 tomorrow for the first leak fix since I bought it in March. ??????

Edited by econometrics

I thinking this has to be a freeze thaw issue. I mean I soaked this new 2020 six ways from Sunday when I first got it. No leaks and no evidence of previous drips. With this being a black truck, Everytime it's snowed the last few weeks the sun hits the black truck and melts the snow which runs off the roof into the rear window channel then refreezes and expands.

I just washed my truck Monday night with a pressure washer and no leaks, I checked. Two days later now it's leaking. I just let it sit for an hour then went back out with hose and lightly misted water directly into the top of the rear window for maybe 5 seconds. Couple ounces water max. By the time I got out of truck bed and checked inside it was already dripping in. This tells me it's not the rear spoiler holes in the roof for one. But how the heck in two days I went from dry with a pressure washing to leaking like crazy with a light mist is beyond me. Must be the frame cracked or the window seal let go.

Having gone through the entire process on my last truck. Think I will see if they can apply a very small amount of sealant as a temp fix while a new window is ordered. The Safelite glass company butchered my new window install on my 2019 including putting my seats back in without the seatbelts. So I'm not feeling good about any of my options.

45 minutes ago, ShamrockShooter said:

Well this one is on me. GM have me the option of a buy back or replacement brand new 2020. I went with the 2020 knowing full well it could leak too. I made my bed now I have to sleep in it.

When does this buy back conversation happen in the process? After the second leak? With senior GM or through a dealer or through a lawyer? Because I’m getting very close to pulling that trigger but don’t know where I need to start 

When does this buy back conversation happen in the process? After the second leak? With senior GM or through a dealer or through a lawyer? Because I’m getting very close to pulling that trigger but don’t know where I need to start 
For me it was once I passed 30 days out of service and qualified for lemon law in my state. Before that happens don't bother wasting your time. Also it has to be the regional service advisor that has to submit to GM for the buyback. Dealer service manager and 1800 GM customer service number can't do anything.

20 days qualifies here in NC. The dealership has me recorded as taking it in only twice. This is the fourth time. They just don’t close out the service ticket when I went to my office and sprayed the garden hose and took it back the following day. I’ve got every conversation recorded right after it happened in a diary I’ve kept in the truck since I picked it up.