Muffler delete

Kc4O

So I did a muffler delete recently and just a straight pipe but kept the resonator on the rear. I’m getting a lot cab noise should I put a high flow muffler instead?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

If it’s too loud now, you might try a carven muffler, I have an Aero muffler, from the manufacturer in Utah. Niether of them are very restrictive.  I’m surprised that just the muffler delete is too loud.

It’s not loud it’s just a cabin noise makes it have a drone sound

I did this exact same thing on my 15 5.3L Sierra. I left the valve in but wired it open. Now I have a tune and the DOD deactivated and almost Zero drone. There is a little more rumble but no drone. Before my tune when in V4 mode there was some drone but I didn’t feel it was bad.

• Like 1

I chopped both the muffler and the valve off and I personally think it sounds great. I drove from San Diego to Mississippi and back and it didn't bother me. 

As far as DoD (aka AFM?), they make little modules that you plug into the OBD port to deactivate it, but I honestly recommend you get a Black Bear Performance tune. Probably the best thing you'll ever do for your truck. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Happy with my magnaflow 12909 / 14909 stainless. These are 3.5” pipe diameter for 6.2. 5.3 pipe diameter is different and you could go with another magnaflow. 

No drone. Sounds near stock in v4. I could always hear v4 even in stock.

Nice low tone and I can now hear it cold start in the house. 

https://youtu.be/1lBvLiwhdaE

Happy with my magnaflow 12909 / 14909 stainless. These are 3.5” pipe diameter for 6.2. 5.3 pipe diameter is different and you could go with another magnaflow. 

No drone. Sounds near stock in v4. I could always hear v4 even in stock.

Nice low tone and I can now hear it cold start in the house. 

I did the same with my set up 6.2 L with a 12909 Magnaflow 3.5". Remove OEM muffler, resonator and flapper valve... I have not looked back... At first I did the muffler delete with resonator in place and it was too loud for the neighborhood along with v4 mode drone. Now v4 is not a big deal as I notice it about like stock. Good luck with your choice.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Or you could design a J pipe or 1/4 resonator and have no drone like me. I have Long tube Headers, stage 3 TSP Cam and no cats and 3 inch exhaust all the way out. I have zero drone after designing my J pipe resonator

5.3l with stock muffler, resonator, and valve cut off. I welded in a flowmaster 40 series. Gives the v8 muscle car sound. There was a little drone until the muffler was broke in... Now there is nothing. When your not on the throttle it's just a little rumble. When you hit it good it sounds like it should! I can post a video in am if you like...

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

V4 mode does give a different sound on the 5.3.... I would not describe it as a drone.... Not sure how exactly to describe it.... I have a 75 Mile drive to and from work, all at 65mph... So I hit v4 a lot. I guess I would say it is like the sweet spot where the exhaust just hums along not droning, not over the top Ricer... Just kindof hums along... Lol

I did the same with my set up 6.2 L with a 12909 Magnaflow 3.5". Remove OEM muffler, resonator and flapper valve... I have not looked back... At first I did the muffler delete with resonator in place and it was too loud for the neighborhood along with v4 mode drone. Now v4 is not a big deal as I notice it about like stock. Good luck with your choice.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk