2019 Motor Trend truck of the year

aha1987

3 hours ago, teyaroch said:

Can't blame MT.  Ram is the most truck for the money.  The big screen really wins.  At least until it breaks.

Or until you need to wear gloves.

There is no working this RAM Mega Screen with cold weather driving or work gloves on.

This is where T1 interior controls shine! Just sayin'.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sierra Dan said:

Or until you need to wear gloves.

There is no working this RAM Mega Screen with cold weather driving or work gloves on.

This is where T1 interior controls shine! Just sayin'.....

There are lots of good cool weather gloves available that are suitable for driving, which have touch screen compatible fingertips.  I got some nice ones at Costco.  I need them in my '18 Sierra Elevation, since I don't have steering wheel mounted controls for navigating preset radio stations and such. 

Edited by rkj__

4 hours ago, f8l vnm said:

ahhh i love it , Motor trend awards GMs and the Ford and Ram guys call bias.  The RAM gets it the ford and GM guys call bias ...and so it goes on . hahaha 

RAM's interior won it for them and you know what I dont have a problem with that . Well see who wins the overall sales competition 

Sales equate to quality and/or reliability every bit as much as MT's blessing.

3 hours ago, rkj__ said:

...or you break the whole truck, when you take your eyes off the road to trying to browse to the defroster (or some other) setting while driving down a pothole filled road. 

Exactly. Tactile, physical buttons and knobs really win. Not as fancy or pretty, but allow for safer driving and less distraction.

I have 2 of my friends,1 who just bought a loaded out At4 and one looking to get a new truck who drives a ram now. The guy with the ram loves the at4 but said he will prob go with another ram because of price. He said he will lease it because he is afraid it wont last in the long run. Lol 

Motor Trend COTY / TOTY is ad driven. Their criteria to win changes, and extra weight given to subjective carltegories, to cater to the “winner”.

This is well known. And well-documented by numerous sources if you google it.

The Alfa Guilia - a car that didn’t even complete their testing without breaking down - won last year. Let that sink in for a moment...

Carmakers love awards, and they spend cubic dollars on them.

“Fastest car in its class”

At least a half million to have AMCI certify this testing. And it needs to be certified if you’re gonna run it on network channels that have an audience. But if your car is slow, then the claim won’t be certified and you’ll get sued by your competitors if you try to say this.

“JD Power Dependability Award winner”

JD power doesn’t work for free. These awards cost $400k to start, and you’re very restricted on how you can use them. At least these guys are impartial, and sell rights to use the awards AFTER they’re earned based on consumer data.

“Motor Trend COTY”

Easily predicted by looking at the ad spend over the previous 12 months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

12 hours ago, i82much said:

I have owned five new cars since 2003, ford and chevy for 10 of those years and jeep for five of them.  i went to the jeep dealer more times for repairs on one jeep than i did in 10 years of chevy/ford ownership.  

Well stated!

FCA may crank out some nice interiors on their vehicles..... but until the quality and dependability matched...……. I would not own one!

After all the "F" in FCA stands for FIAT

A lot of people here must have some reliable K2's. Mine has 30,000km (14,000 miles) and has had near $10k CAD in warranty work done. Not exactly reliable. I have owned GM trucks since the 80's and these modern ones are the most unreliable and poorly put together trucks they have ever put out. Chevy shake, transmission failures, material quality, software issues, lifter/valve issues, paint issues, and the list just goes on and on and on. 

I would not hesitate to try a Ram if I was in the position to do so. Especially since you can get in a 2019 Limited for the same price as a 2019 cloth interior/no-frills SLE/LT GM truck... I am GM faithful but I will admit they have fallen in the truck areas in which they used to excel at, mainly reliability. The 2007-2013 were very reliable. in fact I still haven't put ANY money into my 2013 2500. Not a dollar and 200,000km, no wear parts, no mechanical, or powertrain issues and this is a bush truck that does not have an easy life, even winter road trips like you see on IRT (just not as savage). The 2015 2500 plow truck I just bought a month ago needed all new brakes, and UBJ's with only 70,000km on it. The have been increasing prices and building crappier trucks, leading you back in the door way too early to spend another $65,000. Ram really cant be as bad as you think. I dated a girl who had an 03 Hemi and I really enjoyed driving that truck at the time, I teased her about it lots but it was a good truck. Look at JD Power reliability for 2012, then look at it for 2018 and tell me if you notice how many GM brands have fallen in the last model lines. 

Edited by L86 All Terrain
  • Like 1

The Ram is a nice looking truck and I'd never say never, BUT when it comes to expectations I think I'm more comfortable in putting trust in GM or Ford trucks.  I know everyone has their internet amplified horror stories, but I really worry about FCA's ability to make all that technology work out of the warranty period (within the warranty period for that matter.).  I'm hoping however the Ram hype helps take some of the price tag wind out of GM's sails.  They are especially proud of their new trucks.  Right now if I were buying an F150 is the best deal in my area. We'll see what the situation is in a year when the current lease is up.