My 2020, 2500 HD had a similar event this morning: black screen and no radio.  I was going to drop it off at the dealership but everything came on as usual when I turned it on a couple of house after the “black out”.  Always been a Chevy fan but this is not cool on a new truck with 6000 miles. 

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings everyone.  

I have a 2019 GMC with the intellink system and have experienced issues like some of you have been going though.  Being the curious type and love working with programming and electronics I have a few suggestions. Now keep in mind my phone is Android based.  Here a few suggestions that I follow and my system works pretty well.

1. I always turn my phone off every day in the morning then back on before I go to work.  This help clear memory and non working programs from gumming up you phone. 

2. Have updates on the phone working. Google is always updating Google Auto and Google maps.  

3. If you are going to plug your phone in make sure Bluetooth on your phone is off and make sure Bluetooth is off on the phone before you turn on your truck. 

4. If your going to be plugging in your phone I always plug it in the truck before I turn the truck on. 

5. If you have to enter a security code to get into your phone make sure you are logged in to your phone before you turn the truck on because if you dont then you will get a blank screen. This has happen to me many times. 

6. USB cables are not all the same!  This is important.  If your using a cable from your laptop or some other devise to power up its not going to work well.  If the USB cable has been walked on, crushed, pinned in any way that cable is going to give you issues big time and your gmc truck will be getting issues.  Make sure you have a good, thick data USB cable and dont use the power cable that came with the phone.  Treat the cable like gold. 

7. If Google, or Maps or Waze or YouTube music does a big update sometimes the screen goes blank. Not sure why but I give it a few mins and let it do its thing.  

8. Last thing, if my fingers are dirty or dusty it will have a effect on the screen.  I work outside in the landscape business and have found the screen likes non dusty fingers.  Dont know why but its life! 

Sorry about long post, I thought it would be shorter but I figures this could help out some way. I have yet to do a factory reset on this system.  Sometimes its good to do a reset on systems like this once in a while.  When i get to that point will let you know.    Good luck!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AngE said:

We just started having this problem in our 2018 Silverado. Radio is a complete black out with no sound, nothing! Turning truck on and off doesn’t work. A/C and everything else works fine. Any solutions?

Have you tried a reset? Is Bluetooth on and its connecting to your phone? 

This is my second month with my 2020 Silverado custom 1500 and the screen came black and I can still listen to the radio but I cannot change the station or see anything except the backup camera I tried to use on star and is not working as well 

update quick fix is to let off the  truck for 10 mins after exit . This will reset the unit .  

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/21/2020 at 2:18 PM, Luis TX said:

This is my second month with my 2020 Silverado custom 1500 and the screen came black and I can still listen to the radio but I cannot change the station or see anything except the backup camera I tried to use on star and is not working as well 

update quick fix is to let off the  truck for 10 mins after exit . This will reset the unit .  

This just started happening to mine this week, adding to the long list of issues I've had with it.   It mostly happens soon after I've started the truck, camera will work then screen goes black, sometimes radio will come on, sometimes not.  It has fixed itself everytime, but sometimes will take less than a minute other times 10-15 minutes and twice after restarting the truck.  

Better than when it was playing music from my phone and the radio at the same time and was unable to change anything, but I'd like to go more than 2 weeks without having some sort of problem with this truck. 

My 2019 Silverado Custom has had this problem for the past 6 months. Screen frozen, cannot find phone and blacking out. Very frustrating. Contacted the dealer and they replaced the display but it did help. This is my second Silverado that did this. As soon as possible, I will switch to a Ram. Chevy does not know how to fix their own product on a 40 thousand dollar truck. Lost confidence and will not recommend Silverado trucks when asked. This is a vital feature to the truck not to work reliably.

16 hours ago, Ronn Ross said:

My 2019 Silverado Custom has had this problem for the past 6 months. Screen frozen, cannot find phone and blacking out. Very frustrating. Contacted the dealer and they replaced the display but it did help. This is my second Silverado that did this. As soon as possible, I will switch to a Ram. Chevy does not know how to fix their own product on a 40 thousand dollar truck. Lost confidence and will not recommend Silverado trucks when asked. This is a vital feature to the truck not to work reliably.

Good luck with the infotainment system in your new Ram. They're notoriously bad, too. 

I have a 2020 All Star Edition with just under 3k miles. The black screen happened to me today when I went to run an errand. Shut the truck off multiple times including exiting the vehicle and locking from the door and fob. But nothing helped. Got home and let the truck sit for a couple minutes and then went out and it turned on like normal.

Made an appointment with the dealer but seeing as it's working again I'll just have to cancel it since they won't see any problems.

I have a 2020 All Star Edition with just under 3k miles. The black screen happened to me today when I went to run an errand. Shut the truck off multiple times including exiting the vehicle and locking from the door and fob. But nothing helped. Got home and let the truck sit for a couple minutes and then went out and it turned on like normal.

Made an appointment with the dealer but seeing as it's working again I'll just have to cancel it since they won't see any problems.
My infotainment went out for almost a whole day with a different issue. After I let it sit overnight it was working fine in the morning. These are the worst kind of problems since you cant duplicate it at will. I hope they do some more software updates to fix this, the system seems pretty buggy.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

The only way that I have been able to prevent this from happening to me,  is the following....When i get in the truck to start it , I put the keys in the ignition, then turn the keys to accessory position only, and wait. I’ll let the heads up display screen “cycle through”, and get fully past the “Chevrolet symbol”. Wait till the screen gets to the “home screen“, and then start the truck. When I start the truck the screen will go through one more cycle and go back to the home screen. THEN, I unlock my iPhone, and then plug it in. When I do this exact procedure, I never get a black out on the Silverado screen. However, if I just “jump in the truck and start it very quickly“, or plug the phone in during the boot up cycle, or while the phone is locked, I will get black screen. 

doing the first method listed above, has been 100% fail safe. (For me). Three months without a black screen so far.

I don’t know if this will help others, but it has 100% fixed the problem for me

my assumption here is that as we start our trucks very quickly and the key slides past the “accessory“ position, the computer system starts booting up, but as it is turned past the accessory position rapidly, then to the “start\on“ position. The computer is powered off and then back on again very rapidly. The computer almost seems to “hiccup“. I don’t know if this helps anyone, but this has been my observation. It has 100% avoided the black out issue for me.

It’s almost like pressing the power button twice on your desktop computer very quickly. Not good for it.  

These are just my observations, and I do think it’s possibly a design error on the manufactures part. However, this seems to be a “workaround“. 

I hope this helps someone. 

Edited by Brizzo Jenkins
Punctuation and grammar errors
  • Like 1

I’ve got a 2020 LT Trail Boss with only 6000 miles on it. Same issues here with screen being black, but at start up the truck would not start and stated it was in battery saving mode. Just saw where GM has a recall for 19-20 model trucks due to battery connections being faulty.

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-recalls-defects/gm-recalls-full-sized-pickup-trucks-due-to-battery-connector-problems/

We have a brand new 2019 GMC Sierra..currently 4 months old, less than 4,000 miles.  We got a black screen and can’t even turn the radio down.  We tried turning the car off and on & no change.  We turned it off and tried reading the owners manual & cranked back up after about 5 min.  The screen came back on.  Pretty bad this is already happening on a brand new truck...hope it’s not foresight into what’s to come...

Edited by Erin
Misspelling

I’ve got a 2020 LT Trail Boss with only 6000 miles on it. Same issues here with screen being black, but at start up the truck would not start and stated it was in battery saving mode. Just saw where GM has a recall for 19-20 model trucks due to battery connections being faulty.

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-recalls-defects/gm-recalls-full-sized-pickup-trucks-due-to-battery-connector-problems/
I've had all the recalls done and mine still blacks out.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk