I've been having the same problem with my 2019 Sierra base.  Sometimes goes black with sound but can't switch stations, sometimes no sound and sometimes freezes and when I get out and lock the truck the radio doesn't shut off.   I had similar problems with my 2016 Buick, but that was fixed with an update.   

Edited by baallen1977

I've been trying something different,  I've noticed that when not having my phone plugged into the usB port on the dash using bluetooth only, I haven't had anymore problems so far, so I'm thinking if it's the cord or the USB port on the dash. More towards the usb port because when my phone is plugged in it still charges my phone. Still seeing what happens. I've just had 2 updates at once a few days ago.

2019 Sierra base two weeks old - same problem. You dontvfrustration until you are in northern Canada with 500km ahead and nothing works. Long 6 hours I tell you - no one on road, no 6owns, no noise, snowing... nearly lost my mind. Back in civilization now off this is not fixed I will v. Unhappy. Yes tried everything to get it to reset.

I had the same problems with the previous 18 gm car that I have with my 19 custom. I will say tho the stereo in my 03 hd was a pos also tho so it's nothing new.   Radio is black one day the next it works but nothing on the screen works.  I'll try those few things temporarily but with 1500 miles on it this shouldn't happen. Other than the radio I love the truck...its a shame. 

Edited by Flatblack83

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/16/2019 at 10:02 AM, Michael Boyd said:

I've been trying something different,  I've noticed that when not having my phone plugged into the usB port on the dash using bluetooth only, I haven't had anymore problems so far, so I'm thinking if it's the cord or the USB port on the dash. More towards the usb port because when my phone is plugged in it still charges my phone. Still seeing what happens. I've just had 2 updates at once a few days ago.

You might be on to something I have only had it happen when the phone is plugged in, didn’t really think about that until you mentioned it. My cable is good it’s high quality and new. 

gmc  pickup   - aug 2019  when the salesperson gave me the tour,  the radio did not work, then after several attempts it worked - they pretended they had never seen this before..   3000km  later not fixed.  Tried software , same problem and they said that they will change the radio .     not confident that they will fix the problem - seems to be a bad design -   they new it when they sold me the new truck -crappy for an expensive truck. will let you know.   Time to get an agency involved (consumer).

On 11/16/2019 at 9:02 AM, Michael Boyd said:

Same thing here: its happened with my truck (26k miles) & it appears to be related to apple-car play or the usB connection. When mine goes black I hit the “home” button on my dash & use it on bluetooth. Seems to work that way, so im guessing we either have bad usb ports or Apple car-play is the culprit

Same problem  and I have never plugged anything into my Phone.   

They said a software update was required - they had  it for 4 hours and said that the upload is complete.    Next day , the radio quit. 3 dys later it worked - so I checked the latest update report on the radio - it said June 1970 - 50 yrs ago.      I don't believe that there is a fix.  I will ask for my money back!

1 hour ago, cah said:

Same problem  and I have never plugged anything into my Phone.   

They said a software update was required - they had  it for 4 hours and said that the upload is complete.    Next day , the radio quit. 3 dys later it worked - so I checked the latest update report on the radio - it said June 1970 - 50 yrs ago.      I don't believe that there is a fix.  I will ask for my money back!

You'll have to find out your states lemon laws, it will require a certain amount of attempts to repair the same issue without the repair being successful. In my state it is 4 attempts and/or the vehicle is inoperable in the shop for at least 30 days. 

I've done the lemon law process before, but not for an issue like this, so not sure if it will apply being an infotainment issue, but believe it should.