Which Tuner?

I guess it depends on how much you’re willing to spend. I hear blackbear is the most customized one to your vehicle. But it comes with a price. I am running the diablo tuner on my 15 Crew Cab. It does what I needed it for. I got it on sale for just over $300 about a year ago. No issues so far. It really just comes down to what options you need and how much money you’re willing to drop. Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

All are sub par. The BEST is HPTuners. There isn't even a comparison. You have credits on it you can buy more if needed, tune endless cars/trucks, best support, Software updates, forum, analog inputs(must on custom tunes and mail order). About every shop I ever have talked to uses it. No other device has the ability it has.  

You can get your money back out of it flashing buddies cars and trucks. Even simple trans files, AFM/DOD,TC, SEL.

We are talking plug in start up and click DOD>disable, push write then ok,  done that easy. TC click box change number press enter then write.   

I believe if you build up your truck or car and pay a shop to tune Why not have the turner software to control, fix, ect.... your owe truck later. SO for me it is a must have. 

I have seen pro units go for as low as $300 with credits. Or you can post for a local hpt guy to meet up for a write, go to the forum download what you like and just pay for the write and credits. So $100 for credits and fee to write it for you. A shop can do it also saves money over full dyno tunes. And once it is on a thumb drive you can remove it and go back to stock in under 3 minutes. or email/post the tune to ask people to fix it or change it. Also you can data log. Meaning you can drive around logging the sensors on the truck. SO useful. 

• Like 2

I have a 2014 5.3 v8 with 6” on 35s. I bought it with all this on already and on the highway I always was jumping between 5th and 6th gear and was getting super annoyed. I finally went with the superchips flashpaq and it changed the way it drove. Definitely recommend it for anyone who lifts their truck. It can adjust a lot of things like tire size, which adjusts the speedo correctly, and has a couple preprogrammed tunes. I always drive in the mileage saver one which is tuned to save on gas and it’s amazing. I was going from 10-12 mpg to 12-15. Adjusting for the 10% off from my tires, I jumped about 2-3mpg overall. There’s also towing and performance tunes as well but I never use them. You can also change throttle response and shift points etc etc. best one out there because it’s only about $350 and doesn’t void the warranty. I believe it’s the 2845 that I have. Also yes, you can turn the AFM off.

• Haha 1

Well I will say there is more to it than just tire size correction and your good, VSS and TC. And how stabilatrac sees the inputs. My guess is most people dont push a lifted and 35" truck hard enough to see that. 

As far as warranty all tunes are the same. If something breaks and it can be tracked back to the tune, mod, or bolt on. It can void warranty. 

What I have seen is the pocket tuners change lambda to a leaner state. As running rich is burning more gas then they play with pedal input and shift command. Only issue I see is when you want more you need to plug up and pick a different tune and I question the life span of the cats. But they have come a long way and the dash mount screen types are super user friendly. 

Diablewtune.com

HPTuners is way over kill for these trucks. Unless you’re running forced induction or a cam etc then it’s not needed. A hand held with a custom tune from Lew will be night and day on your truck. 

13 hours ago, 1SLOW1500 said:

Well I will say there is more to it than just tire size correction and your good, VSS and TC. And how stabilatrac sees the inputs. My guess is most people dont push a lifted and 35" truck hard enough to see that. 

As far as warranty all tunes are the same. If something breaks and it can be tracked back to the tune, mod, or bolt on. It can void warranty. 

What I have seen is the pocket tuners change lambda to a leaner state. As running rich is burning more gas then they play with pedal input and shift command. Only issue I see is when you want more you need to plug up and pick a different tune and I question the life span of the cats. But they have come a long way and the dash mount screen types are super user friendly. 

I have a diablew & am in the tuning process right now. So far (WOT tuning is not done yet) truck is immensely improved over stock. I choose it for ease and Lew's superior customer service(he has hundreds of positive reviews and like 1 or 2 negs throughout the net- I looked). Pretty good so far , he's definitely earned that reputation. He makes great improvements with very little input from you once you send the log. I've had Blackbear tunes and they are quality. But!!! everything 1slow said is the real deal. 

All depends what your goal is. The Diablo tuner is OK, but the quality is that of cheap electronics, will get you where you need to go and is simple though. I'm sure the scan cable of blackbear is not a whole lot better. HP tuners is a program off your laptop with whatever gear you want to run. The available parameters and tuning of HP is amazing, plus they have been around since the beginning of the LS craze. Only thing you have to so is figure what you want to spend money and time wise. 

I'm sure HP can be a time sucker to really learn it, plus if you are stupid you can kill your truck quick as it will let you do whatever you want.   

The other handhelds are wannabees in my book, yeah there better than stock but don't really tap that far into your trucks potential. But the truth was mentioned, everything else is a distant second to HP tuners capability.  For me I don't want to spend the time and would rather pay someone for their experience aka Lew or Justin. All depends on what you want out of it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jacoby said:

Diablewtune.com

HPTuners is way over kill for these trucks. Unless you’re running forced induction or a cam etc then it’s not needed. A hand held with a custom tune from Lew will be night and day on your truck. 

Not over kill at all these trucks have over 5000 inputs, logs, tables, and sensors. But I get what you are getting at it is over kill for a customer wanting plug in and push one or just a few buttons. It is tuning software not a up loadable pre set just get you there part. It is everything and anything vs. joe averages PnP dump and run. 

I'm not criticizing there is a product for everyone. I feel there are 3 main categorizes. worst to best 

1- hand held -----limited small increases possible, no idea what you have-----

2- email custom spec for needs download-----better improvement, know what was changed and can go heavier on mods--- 

3 HPTuners- you tune, email tune, copy tune, dyno tune.   Everything feels like double the truck anything from mild to wild always the option to change tune. Any question, issue, or help is available basically 24/7 and shops in all states for support. 

If you wanted to use some of your extra credits you could go to a buddy's Diablews and read the tune review it and copy it over to another truck. Again if you just want afm, tire size and torque management disabled you could pay very little to someone with a HPT. 1/3 of a tuner. 

Each his own I guess. 

• Like 2

If your just wanting to do the basics then just get a hand held like diablo or a superchips. I believe there is no reason to spend money on others like HP or BB unless you are doing other stuff to the vehicle like forced injunction, changing gears, cam, meth, and other stuff. Most people will rarely utilize what the truck has stock.

• Like 1

Yeah but I can tell you the canned diablo tune is NOTHING like Lew's tune. You leave a lot on the table with the diablo factory tunes. Really depends what you want out of the deal. Budget isn't always best, got to let people spend their own money. Meaning everyone has different cash flow and goals.

Once you have a custom tune you realize how weak the factory GM tune is, even if someone just wanted to adjust for tire size I would encourage them to get the engine and trans tuned at the same time otherwise your just plain missing out. A good tune will have NO impact on reliability.. .None.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, 1SLOW1500 said:

3 HPTuners- you tune, email tune, copy tune, dyno tune.   Everything feels like double the truck anything from mild to wild always the option to change tune. Any question, issue, or help is available basically 24/7 and shops in all states for support. 

If you wanted to use some of your extra credits you could go to a buddy's Diablews and read the tune review it and copy it over to another truck. Again if you just want afm, tire size and torque management disabled you could pay very little to someone with a HPT. 1/3 of a tuner. 

Each his own I guess. 

Overkill and thanks for proving my point. 

The only way to take advantage of HP Tuners is with a dyno and widebands to log.  What percentage of Silverado owners are putting their trucks on the dyno let alone getting a custom tune done????  Maybe 5% at the most and I'd wager those guys are forced induction, heads cam trucks.  A guy looking to turn off AFM or switch between an 87 & 93 octane tune or adjust for tire size doesn't need something like HP Tuner.  ITS OVERKILL!!!!

With most of todays handhelds you can run logs while driving or on a dyno and with the software that someone like Lew has you can adjust mapping any way you see fit. 

Overkill and thanks for proving my point. 

The only way to take advantage of HP Tuners is with a dyno and widebands to log.  What percentage of Silverado owners are putting their trucks on the dyno let alone getting a custom tune done????  Maybe 5% at the most and I'd wager those guys are forced induction, heads cam trucks.  A guy looking to turn off AFM or switch between an 87 & 93 octane tune or adjust for tire size doesn't need something like HP Tuner.  ITS OVERKILL!!!!

With most of todays handhelds you can run logs while driving or on a dyno and with the software that someone like Lew has you can adjust mapping any way you see fit. 
Sorry sir but you are miss informed. HPT is anything you want. You can do a "Lew" tune or change with email or walking into shop.
It CAN do more but it is up to the user.
Only way to take advantage is dyno. Is 100% false. Track and street tunes are emailed to tuners all the time. Also 4g wifi remote log in and customer drives and talks over the phone is available.
Back in 2006 we tuned awd escalades to over 1000rwhp on the streets. Dynos are nice and easier but not a must. Also on turbos the load is a false load to the truck. And with these new truck the trans tune is the 2nd side that needs to be tuned. Hard to do that on the dyno. Also you dont have to have a wide band. It's nice and on forced induction and higher hp builds recommend but tuners can tune without it. I tune my truck on the roads or strip. No issues.
Like to know how the 8 speed TCM is remote tuned. Hpt open program and file connect to truck push write and ok....done. same as a hand held unit.
Maybe it is to complicate for some people, those people can still pay the 1-3 hundred and get the afm,torque disabled, and wheels. But now they have a unlocked pcm so if they wish at any time they can do more. These same people may be the type that have a dealer do all there work or arnt handy, again something for everyone.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Like 3

As you said you tuned Escalade to 1000 but that was because they modded the engine so it had to be tuned to get the benefit. A bone stock engine that people are not really putting on a dyno or adding to engine can get away with a handheld to do the simple stuff. I for one think people forget about doing stuff like they should before thinking about a tuner. For example someone that lifts a truck puts 35s on but doesnt regear to 4.56 but does do a tune is just dumb in my mind. To each their own.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 1SLOW1500 said:

Sorry sir but you are miss informed. HPT is anything you want. You can do a "Lew" tune or change with email or walking into shop.
It CAN do more but it is up to the user.
Only way to take advantage is dyno. Is 100% false. Track and street tunes are emailed to tuners all the time. Also 4g wifi remote log in and customer drives and talks over the phone is available.
Back in 2006 we tuned awd escalades to over 1000rwhp on the streets. Dynos are nice and easier but not a must. Also on turbos the load is a false load to the truck. And with these new truck the trans tune is the 2nd side that needs to be tuned. Hard to do that on the dyno. Also you dont have to have a wide band. It's nice and on forced induction and higher hp builds recommend but tuners can tune without it. I tune my truck on the roads or strip. No issues.
Like to know how the 8 speed TCM is remote tuned. Hpt open program and file connect to truck push write and ok....done. same as a hand held unit.
Maybe it is to complicate for some people, those people can still pay the 1-3 hundred and get the afm,torque disabled, and wheels. But now they have a unlocked pcm so if they wish at any time they can do more. These same people may be the type that have a dealer do all there work or arnt handy, again something for everyone.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Im not miss informed.  I have a 2012 CTS-V that's heavily modded on E85 thats tuned with HP Tuners.  Im well aware you can do street tunes as that's how you do the trans tunes.  Stop huffing and puffing and trying to sound all badass cause youre not.  There isn't nothing on the street or track with 1000rwhp that wasn't tuned on a dyno. 

Again with your post you've done nothing more than validated my point and done even less to prove yours.  You're talking about 1000rwhp Escalades and comparing them to trucks that make less than 300rwhp.  Like I said earlier the bulk of what you can do with HPT you can do with some of todays handhelds and their software.  You can log, remote tune, email said tunes, change trans settings like timing, line pressures etc etc etc.  I could go on and on. HPT is OVERKILL for the average truck owner looking for a little more power and better shifting, etc.

Its obvious you're a tuner or think you are anyways or maybe youre an HPT salesman, I don't know.  Point is youre giving out false info and trying to sell someone something they don't need.

• Like 1

First off, I have a 2018 1500 LTZ DC 4x4 6.2L w/ 8 speed trans with no mods what so ever.  The most I plan on doing is a CAI and maybe a CAT back exhaust.

I was looking at the Trinity T2 EX Platinum with a custom tune from DiabLew for a few reasons.  

1: I like the monitoring functions of the Trinity T2 EX.  

2: I think I will like like the ability to switch back and forth between different tunes. 

3: It's easy.  One price for the programmer and a one time charge for the tune.  Currently $710 for the Trinity T2 EX and a custom tune.  

4: Can the Trinity tune the 8 speed trans?

5: What are the average power and torque gains on a stock 6.2L?

There is a lot of talk about HP Tuners so it got me thinking if that might be an option.  Let me say that I have NO interest in doing my own tunes.  None!  I am an IT professional by trade so technology doesn't scare me, I'm just not interested in doing my own tuning (at this time).
So... what would I need to purchase to have a local shop tune my vehicle with their HP Tuners software?  Hardware, software,  a license?  Can I go in and have them use their MPVI2 to do the data logging, create and write the tune or do I need to buy the MPVI2?  I'd imagine I have to have it and the software to switch between different tunes. How many credits does it take to tune, including the 8 speed trans?  I think it is 4.  So, $550 for the MPVI2 Pro plus 4 credits at $50ea is $750.  The HPT and the Trinity are close on price. 
What if I wanted to be able to go back and forth between a tow based tune and a tune more suited for "stop light racing"?
Do I have to actually go to a shop so they can do some data logging or can I log data myself and send it to them?

What are the average power and torque gains on a stock 6.2L?

The million dollar question... can the dealer tell if you have flashed your PCM (even if you flash back to stock) and possibly deny warranty coverage?