Which Tuner?

1 hour ago, 1SLOW1500 said:

On some level you are right this website is more of the average owner and not very performance or tech based. However the fact my message box keeps getting messages and the fact that just because the masses don't care don't mean that 1% can't find it interesting or use full.  I believe it is only because they just don't know better is the reason why more people just simply mind bock out the idea of HPTuning  or EFI live. If only more people could see the light. 

Oh I can name a few that very much care but it is only 4 people.....HAHAH

I wish I was one of the 4 but I did help fill your inbox lol...I’m a visual learner and have no doubt that when the time is right for me, I will take all that I’ve been gathering and give it a shot. I do appreciate the technology of it all but as mentioned...it scares the $hit out of me to learn on my new truck. With that said, I’m sure you will see other PMs from me over the years. Have a great weekend ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 1SLOW1500 said:

On some level you are right this website is more of the average owner and not very performance or tech based. However the fact my message box keeps getting messages and the fact that just because the masses don't care don't mean that 1% can't find it interesting or use full.  I believe it is only because they just don't know better is the reason why more people just simply mind bock out the idea of HPTuning  or EFI live. If only more people could see the light. 

Oh I can name a few that very much care but it is only 4 people.....HAHAH

I get messages when I post similar stuff too and depending on the mood I am in nets the reply or if I delete it.  Guys believe whatever they want to believe.  There are a few members here that if they see this in a thread they lose their shit and tell you what a snake oil seller you are.  After a couple rounds of that I don't offer advice or help anyone anymore..... I don't need trolls following me thread to thread to denounce everything you say.  Banter is fine and I actually enjoy it but it seems so many need to resort to name calling like a 5 year old if you don't agree with them.  

Tuning is not something most guys want to get into really though.  I do it because I have too... not because I honestly want too lol.  Well... yes I do like it but if I found someone decent that tuned things the way I liked I would pay them.  That has netted me fixing a bunch of tunes so now.... voila.... I write my own haha.  

Edited by SierraHD17
  • Like 3

Okay, let me repeat my question. What is the best tuner that #1 turns off AFM. #2 adjust for 35" tires. #3 saves gas. #4 a descent tune for towing. Thats the main things I'm looking for. Anything more than that will be a bonus. I'm not trying to mod my truck out, just want these simple things in my tune. Any suggestions for a tuner with the options above? Thank you

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, reihart said:

Okay, let me repeat my question. What is the best tuner that #1 turns off AFM. #2 adjust for 35" tires. #3 saves gas. #4 a descent tune for towing. Thats the main things I'm looking for. Anything more than that will be a bonus. I'm not trying to mod my truck out, just want these simple things in my tune. Any suggestions for a tuner with the options above? Thank you

On another chevy forum, 95% of them run a diablo tuner with a custom tune from "Lew". His customer service is bar none.

• Like 1

The answer is many can do that. And depending on your expectations you maybe happy. AGAIN HPT can do that also very simply and possibly free. It is a little more complex to use then say a dash mount edge type unit. It isn't as easy to swap turns. If that is all you want I still say HPT as the pcm is unlocked, best support,best value,most options.
I will offer free calibration change of afm/DOD, tire size, gear change. I will show you how to upload and download a tune. There are many available useable tunes available if you just want a little improvement.
If the day comes you want more,dyno day,or even SEL comes on the HPT does that also.
If it isn't for you fine no big deal by a pocket tuner and go that way.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

26 minutes ago, xax said:

On another chevy forum, 95% of them run a diablo tuner with a custom tune from "Lew". His customer service is bar none.

Where can you find this "Lew" that you speak of?

Well since I have a tune, I'll chime in.

First off...I'm not a badass...LOL!

I'm more of a lazy ass, so I went with BlackBear Performance.

Paid them $500, had Justin do his magic and all is good.

He took care of the AFM, did some TCM, acceleration response and 50/50 93 oct/E85.

What is great about using BBP, is every time I do a mod, I let them know and they'll email a tune to take full advantage of the mod.

CAI - Tuned

True Dual exhaust - Tuned

If I install headers - I can ask for a tune...free!

Soon I'll be getting an E85 sensor and get a 100% tune, where I can run either 93oct or E85 100% when/as I want.

And other than the mods, I spent $500...3x less than my true dual exhaust, but both are a one time purchase.

Put my truck back to stock when taking to the dealer for a recall, they did not say a thing about my tune...not sure if they know it or not.

When I got home, hooked up my AutoCal and reloaded my tune...simple and easy and back to Varooming!

When I step on it, my truck will chirp when shifting to second, maybe its the tune or maybe I just need new tires!

I have no experience with any other tuner, but I'm sure they all serve a unique purpose for each individual's wants/needs.

I went with BBP because they do all the work and I think it is well worth the $500!

Happy Tuning...I mean Christmas!!

• Like 1

Well since I have a tune, I'll chime in.
First off...I'm not a badass...LOL!
I'm more of a lazy ass, so I went with BlackBear Performance.
Paid them $500, had Justin do his magic and all is good.
He took care of the AFM, did some TCM, acceleration response and 50/50 93 oct/E85.
What is great about using BBP, is every time I do a mod, I let them know and they'll email a tune to take full advantage of the mod.
CAI - Tuned
True Dual exhaust - Tuned
If I install headers - I can ask for a tune...free!
Soon I'll be getting an E85 sensor and get a 100% tune, where I can run either 93oct or E85 100% when/as I want.

And other than the mods, I spent $500...3x less than my true dual exhaust, but both are a one time purchase.
Put my truck back to stock when taking to the dealer for a recall, they did not say a thing about my tune...not sure if they know it or not.
When I got home, hooked up my AutoCal and reloaded my tune...simple and easy and back to Varooming!
When I step on it, my truck will chirp when shifting to second, maybe its the tune or maybe I just need new tires!

I have no experience with any other tuner, but I'm sure they all serve a unique purpose for each individual's wants/needs.
I went with BBP because they do all the work and I think it is well worth the $500!

Happy Tuning...I mean Christmas!!
Sorry and I'm sure I will sound like a a**hole or bada** or what ever but I think you are missing some info here or are just incorrect. If this truck is in the states there is 10% ethanol in 93 octane so command is 14.108. Then you are adding e85 with no sensor. Yeah it can be done but in my opinion that is a little scary. As how do you know for sure the stoich AFR? Each his own. To say he 100% tunes it, I believe he makes changes and you are happy but without a log of you truck how does he do that or how can he maximize a tune. I really don't know and am asking.
Hpt can also change file to any other file before you go to dealer. Just saying.
As I stated before in my option off the rack pocket tunes are fun and do the bone min to give the customer a warm feeling. Email and custom upload tunes are better to pretty good. Log style tunes are the best. These can be email, dyno, or 3 way.

I see many of these tunes just do like I have said a download someone else's and copy paste. Hell I did it will a friends to compare trans tune.
As for afm,tcm,torque management, and E85 those are just a one button click to change. And is tuner 101 for tuning so you know tables are changing on you.

Again just my questions and opinions. Feel free to disagree and post any info on this. Thanks3c7f005b1ecb3519a1739236cc833e0f.jpg

20 hours ago, 1SLOW1500 said:

Sorry and I'm sure I will sound like a a**hole or bada** or what ever but I think you are missing some info here or are just incorrect. If this truck is in the states there is 10% ethanol in 93 octane so command is 14.108. Then you are adding e85 with no sensor. Yeah it can be done but in my opinion that is a little scary. As how do you know for sure the stoich AFR? Each his own. To say he 100% tunes it, I believe he makes changes and you are happy but without a log of you truck how does he do that or how can he maximize a tune. I really don't know and am asking.
Hpt can also change file to any other file before you go to dealer. Just saying.
As I stated before in my option off the rack pocket tunes are fun and do the bone min to give the customer a warm feeling. Email and custom upload tunes are better to pretty good. Log style tunes are the best. These can be email, dyno, or 3 way.

I see many of these tunes just do like I have said a download someone else's and copy paste. Hell I did it will a friends to compare trans tune.
As for afm,tcm,torque management, and E85 those are just a one button click to change. And is tuner 101 for tuning so you know tables are changing on you.

Again just my questions and opinions. Feel free to disagree and post any info on this. Thanks3c7f005b1ecb3519a1739236cc833e0f.jpg

I believe he knows the AFR because he hooked up his lappy to my truck and downloaded the parameters of my truck on 93 prior to doing any tuning. He then asked what I wanted and tuned the truck to my request. He also asked what mods I had installed so he could get the maximum bang from them through tuning. I believe he probably does it the way you do/would...not sure though since I don't know what/how you do your tune. The nice thing is he has all the info he needs on my truck and can send me tunes for whatever mod I install as I provide the info on the mod.

At least that's how I believe he does it...and its way more than just a "feel good" tune. I have been running my truck at 50/50 for the past 2 years and it still runs as strong as ever.

Maybe you should contact them if you need more info on what/how they do things...not sure if it'll be shared, but it might be worth a try.

Not trying to sound like an asshat, but just trying to answer your question as best as I know how.

Just saw a vid on EFI University, I'm thinking of doing an online course, and then a hands on course as I get a better understanding of how EFI tuning is done...providing my old brain can keep up!

• Like 1

RDKILL your good. Nothing offends me but I seam to step on peoples feelings so I try to be as polite as possible. 

I think I understand how he did it I just didn't want to assume. Very good.

In my opinion tuning isn't for everyone but I find it very fun and enlightening as well as rewarding. I am the type that enjoys a challenge, buys very high end multi adjustable/tune able products but then questions way it has 50 settings for one thing. How is it possible to know I get my dollar worth or even better then the cheap product if it isn't on the right setting. And the idea of just trusting a stranger for settings isn't my style. So i got into it. 

• Like 1