Which Tuner?

If you are not comfortable tuning I would do the HPT and find a competent tuner. Did the I3 and diablew. He made standard changes and made it better. He provides a solid service for basic changes. That said I would find a "guru" and get the thing all the way tuned up meaning FUELING, TIMING, TRANS TQ MANAGEMENT, Cam phasing AND ALL THE SECRETS . The new GM stuff is super complicated with all the tables and relationships not LS simple.

1slow is correct if you are the patient type and want to learn it, there isn't any real limitations. Just for a lot of us who can learn and have ability sometimes time is the constraint.

• Like 2

Of course you can read the stock file and SAVE IT. then send a copy of it to a tuner with a data log.
I have to warn you there are many scammers out there be careful.
Of a natural aspirated the cost and time is low. In fact you.maybe able to get a stock based tune that matches you truck and copy paste it to your file then work from there. Or at least compare.
But answer is yes that is how it works. Also why it is nice to own the device you can change tunes at anytime. Also use it on other cars and make some money back. Even if it is just to delete a vehicles codes like cats or afm.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Once you own the device and have the vin unlocked. All the software is yours to change as many times as you wish. So you can call a good shop and get prices on tunes or better yet a dyno tune. When you leave there it is 100% and you have the file to view,share, or mod.
From what I see the cost at that point is low 400ish. And you get to know you real hp and torque value. Or dyno day are 1-3 pulls for a few bucks.
If you have a issue down the road post the log and the code. And forum people can help and change the file so you can compare files and see values then load it and try it out.
Hpt has one huge problem....new customers don't understand what all it does and the pros and cons of it. This lack of understanding causes many to shy away.

After rereading some of the old post. Handheld can not always do the "same" as some have stated. Also some handheld can't log and most important do not have same support. Read up on other people's builds and see. If $300 for device is to much buy credits.and find a local guy to unlock and do your "simple" mods.

Money is not an issue, I was thinking everything from HP will run around 1000 at most.
I'm waiting to here back from HP.
I'm thinking I need the module, tranny unlock and credits.

Sent from my S10 using my thumbs, with tapatalk.

• Like 1

"The Tuning School" offers books and courses you can take in person.

You can also purchase books and courses by Greg Banish from his stuff called "Calibrated Success".  I used his stuff back when I bought HP Tuners around 2012ish.

Everything from then on has been hands on experience and tons of reading/sifting through forums and internet articles to get a grasp of how things worked. Learning on the newest of trucks/cars is going to be tough as there is just so much to take in at once.

I don't know how much is out there for 8 speed information but the 6L80e has far more information for getting to know that transmission. Very few things have to be done to make it do what you want.

• 2 years later...

Knocking the dust off of this thread.  Are there any updates or noteworthy products from 2019 to now?  

Have a '16 LTZ 6.2/8spd @ 124k daily driver so I don't have warranty issues anymore :)  Budget is flexible and I'd love to learn the finer art of tuning as 1slow1500 suggests but it's not how I earn my living so it's most likely a time suck for me... and I can get sucked in pretty easily.  Leaning towards a higher-end handheld unit with some advanced functionality just in case I get curious and want to tinker...

I upgraded to Kings and 305's and am looking to get get some punch and mpg's back as well as drop the tranny temps which are running hotter with the bigger tires.  I have not modded anything in the drive train with exception of exhaust and a washable K&N air filter.   I'm in the Southeast and it's hot as hell so the trans trends to run hot.  I don't tow a lot, but I do tow some and for the most part, drive fairly conservatively as I want this truck to last.  I'm interested in good MPG's as I log a lot of highway miles from SC to my farm in WV.  Have always run 91 or 93 octane.  May throw headers and CAI on at some point.  Have never had trouble with the engine & run AMS in the trans.

Appreciate your time. 

Cheers,

dp454so

Edited by dp454so

4 hours ago, dp454so said:

Knocking the dust off of this thread.  Are there any updates or noteworthy products from 2019 to now?  

Have a '16 LTZ 6.2/8spd @ 124k daily driver so I don't have warranty issues anymore :)  Budget is flexible and I'd love to learn the finer art of tuning as 1slow1500 suggests but it's not how I earn my living so it's most likely a time suck for me... and I can get sucked in pretty easily.  Leaning towards a higher-end handheld unit with some advanced functionality just in case I get curious and want to tinker...

I upgraded to Kings and 305's and am looking to get get some punch and mpg's back as well as drop the tranny temps which are running hotter with the bigger tires.  I have not modded anything in the drive train with exception of exhaust and a washable K&N air filter.   I'm in the Southeast and it's hot as hell so the trans trends to run hot.  I don't tow a lot, but I do tow some and for the most part, drive fairly conservatively as I want this truck to last.  I'm interested in good MPG's as I log a lot of highway miles from SC to my farm in WV.  Have always run 91 or 93 octane.  May throw headers and CAI on at some point.  Have never had trouble with the engine & run AMS in the trans.

Appreciate your time. 

Cheers,

dp454so

The first thing Id do if I was you is get a trans thermostat bypass kit. 

My truck has 130k on it now, unfortunately it needed a 6 speed trans at 95k, the shop that put a reman one in recommended the bypass and it works fine for me even in Mass. It might run a little cooler than it should in the winter for me but you wont have that problem so its a no brainer. 

I was going to get a diablew tune for my '16 5.3 but they didnt respond to my email, so I just bought a MPVI2+ and Im excited to learn. I do have experience with tuning from 20 years ago when I had an 02 wrx with a utec, those were a pain to tune and from the videos ive seen on youtube HP Tuners looks amazing. 

• Like 1

HP Tuners is still basically your only choice if you want to tune both the engine and transmission yourself.

Anything else is just going to be a handheld tuner that has certain pre-made things for you or a limited section of changes you can do. Or go with a service like Diablew tunes that use the Diablo Tuner.

Getting MPG back isn't going to be easy and you'll likely not get any from the tune. Your tires are your biggest problem. Heavier and a much wider contact patch compared to a 265 or 275 that would have come from the factory. That is why you lost fuel mileage and you can't really change anything to get that back in the tune.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dp454so said:

Appreciate your time. 

Cheers,

dp454so

this is free and easy to do. My trans temp went from 190 to about 160. If you wanna run cooler than that, add trucool 40K. Real easy to do and you’ll never have trans temp problem again. My trans temp are usually around 125-135 after the trucool, but in also boosted and beat on it often… 

as of tuning, I would look into HP tuner and find someone reputable do tune. Someone that does a lot of these Gen V trucks. There aren’t as easy to tune like LS base stuff. GL. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...