Which Tuner?

I like the ease of changing the pulley on my Whipple. 100HP in ten minutes. A stroker and a Whipple, 600HP easy. Now if you’re a Ford guy 3.5 a tune big HP easy, for a while anyway. So I like both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, SierraHD17 said:

I own both turbo and supercharged stuff... both have their place.  You won't find much rebuttal here... join performancetrucks.net if you want that argument lol.

Very true I'm over there also and posted in the supercharged vs. turbo thread. Started a argument there also. I need to trade in my badass title for a **** one please. 

I just left there and see all the hpt tuning talk. helping a guy that posted a tune and log with a supercharged truck. in under 1 minute I can see the Map is set wrong. In the log you can see it go to 118kpa or 17.11psi but said he had a 2 bar. and is not running that much boost. I have made that mistake on my truck screwed up BARO. But see how everyone helped for free and issue is fixed in a day. HPT for the win. 

2 hours ago, diyer2 said:

Read the entire thread.

Living in the mountains and towing occasionally some improvement would be nice.

Sooner down shifts when pulling grades would be one example.

Currently I use the gas pedal and manual shifting to improve performance.

I would want a canned tune.

What would you get?

2012 5.3L, 6 speed, 3.42's.

:)

No suggestions?

25 minutes ago, diyer2 said:

No suggestions?

How much weight are you towing? On that engine and platform. My advise changes. DOD delete, intake, cat back and just a clean up tune. No E85 then don't worry about going for big power. And set all the in tow shift points based on throttle demand. Issue is you may not like that in daily driving around that is why I say tow mode. This is the reason people like the hand held or the dash mount screen tuners. You would have to seen what those tuners offer on shifts, meaning how much user control vs drop it in and guess what you have with a test run. I had a Edge on dash in my old truck like yours. I tried every mode didn't notice much change between mileage, power, and tow. 

my 2016 sierra 5.3 gets 20mpg best. I think that is great with 600rwhp on 24" wheels in a crew cab. Haven't tried towing but will (6000lb). 

* NOTE* for those that don't know this is why logging is important he could upload a config file that has PIDs for the trans and the TB and see that at XX% throttle and the pedal the truck is only giving him xx at the throttle body and because of this the trans is shifting or not shifting. Also power enrichment and torque. Biggest issues I also see is people saying "this morning I started it at it did this weird thing" there are settings and tables that change based on inputs. Like engine temp, trans temp, ect..... So if you know this you can not drive under load(tow,boost, spirited) till the truck is over 180*. rant over....

8 minutes ago, 1SLOW1500 said:

How much weight are you towing? On that engine and platform. My advise changes. DOD delete, intake, cat back and just a clean up tune. No E85 then don't worry about going for big power. And set all the in tow shift points based on throttle demand. Issue is you may not like that in daily driving around that is why I say tow mode. This is the reason people like the hand held or the dash mount screen tuners. You would have to seen what those tuners offer on shifts, meaning how much user control vs drop it in and guess what you have with a test run. I had a Edge on dash in my old truck like yours. I tried every mode didn't notice much change between mileage, power, and tow. 

my 2016 sierra 5.3 gets 20mpg best. I think that is great with 600rwhp on 24" wheels in a crew cab. Haven't tried towing but will (6000lb). 

* NOTE* for those that don't know this is why logging is important he could upload a config file that has PIDs for the trans and the TB and see that at XX% throttle and the pedal the truck is only giving him xx at the throttle body and because of this the trans is shifting or not shifting. Also power enrichment and torque. Biggest issues I also see is people saying "this morning I started it at it did this weird thing" there are settings and tables that change based on inputs. Like engine temp, trans temp, ect..... So if you know this you can not drive under load(tow,boost, spirited) till the truck is over 180*. rant over....

Are you self taught? Good Lord you know a ton of this tuning world. I wish I could even understand your world...even just a little lol. Hats off to you and those with your knowledge because most of us (most wont even admit it) don’t have a clue. 

• Like 1

How far from ft worth tx does a guy have to drive to get the bada$$ tuning and 20mpgs on a 5.3?

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Yes I'm a autodidact. But I have to give credit to the people I know in the tuning world for the input. Been doing it for 17 years.  Had a 1600hp single turbo LSX and new engine is a 481x PLR with a ton more power. Any no it isn't "Dyno" tuned. 

I got 20mpg yesterday on my highway drive. I was  little shocked myself but with the leaner lambda(afr) and the truck in 6 gear at super low rpm (different speed settings) it is out of boost. With it lowered and maybe a a** wind  it worked. HAHAHA

• Like 2

21 hours ago, 1SLOW1500 said:

Here is screen shots or torque options. We disable management to tune then can turn it back on but change settings. Also notice map numbers super high and TCS values so high it is almost off. b8067d1f6b349294281a0bc78401f3ad.jpgc987916e95b5587c5248666e070261bf.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

No one here cares lol.  I tune with both efilive and hpt myself.  You would be lucky to find 5 active members here that even understand what you are posting lol.  Guys want a recommendation and pick whatever they want... no point arguing about it.

• Like 1

I tow 1000 to 6000 pounds occasionally. 

Mostly truck is my transportation vehicle.

I thought a canned tune might help for better performance.

Mileage isn't a concern.

I want plug and play, no adjusting.

A canned tune won't help me?

48 minutes ago, diyer2 said:

I tow 1000 to 6000 pounds occasionally. 

Mostly truck is my transportation vehicle.

I thought a canned tune might help for better performance.

Mileage isn't a concern.

I want plug and play, no adjusting.

A canned tune won't help me?

get a diablew or bleackbear. simple. worth the extra $1~200 for the additional performance.  And I appreciate the screenshots 1slow..

1 hour ago, SierraHD17 said:

No one here cares lol.  I tune with both efilive and hpt myself.  You would be lucky to find 5 active members here that even understand what you are posting lol.  Guys want a recommendation and pick whatever they want... no point arguing about it.

On some level you are right this website is more of the average owner and not very performance or tech based. However the fact my message box keeps getting messages and the fact that just because the masses don't care don't mean that 1% can't find it interesting or use full.  I believe it is only because they just don't know better is the reason why more people just simply mind bock out the idea of HPTuning  or EFI live. If only more people could see the light. 

Oh I can name a few that very much care but it is only 4 people.....HAHAH

21 hours ago, SS502 said:

Hats off to you and those with your knowledge because most of us (most wont even admit it) don’t have a clue. 

I'll admit it!  Messing w/ a tune scares the sh!t out of me.  Bolting on a superchager/turbo/intake and carb, fine.  Tunes?  Clueless.  All I know is that w/ my truck, once I hit 100k, I want to tune it to improve trans shift, and overall performance.  Just make it run better with out spending $1000.  But after reading through this thread, I'm more confused than ever (not that it takes a lot to confuse me...:P).

Edited by OldBlue61
  • Like 2