Which Tuner?

First off, I have a 2018 1500 LTZ DC 4x4 6.2L w/ 8 speed trans with no mods what so ever.  The most I plan on doing is a CAI and maybe a CAT back exhaust.

I was looking at the Trinity T2 EX Platinum with a custom tune from DiabLew for a few reasons.  

1: I like the monitoring functions of the Trinity T2 EX.  

2: I think I will like like the ability to switch back and forth between different tunes. 

3: It's easy.  One price for the programmer and a one time charge for the tune.  Currently $710 for the Trinity T2 EX and a custom tune.  

4: Can the Trinity tune the 8 speed trans?

5: What are the average power and torque gains on a stock 6.2L?

There is a lot of talk about HP Tuners so it got me thinking if that might be an option.  Let me say that I have NO interest in doing my own tunes.  None!  I am an IT professional by trade so technology doesn't scare me, I'm just not interested in doing my own tuning (at this time).
So... what would I need to purchase to have a local shop tune my vehicle with their HP Tuners software?  Hardware, software,  a license?  Can I go in and have them use their MPVI2 to do the data logging, create and write the tune or do I need to buy the MPVI2?  I'd imagine I have to have it and the software to switch between different tunes. How many credits does it take to tune, including the 8 speed trans?  I think it is 4.  So, $550 for the MPVI2 Pro plus 4 credits at $50ea is $750.  The HPT and the Trinity are close on price. 
What if I wanted to be able to go back and forth between a tow based tune and a tune more suited for "stop light racing"?
Do I have to actually go to a shop so they can do some data logging or can I log data myself and send it to them?

What are the average power and torque gains on a stock 6.2L?

The million dollar question... can the dealer tell if you have flashed your PCM (even if you flash back to stock) and possibly deny warranty coverage?

The dealer can def tell that the computer has been flashed even if it’s back to factory. My question is I thought the 8spd trans need a hardware mod to be able to tune them? I have the hyper tech but I can’t do anything with the trans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hand helds are a joke.  Do it right with HP Tuners...which you can use for multiple vehicles over a number of years.  I've shared HP tuners with my good friend in North Carolina - we just mail the unit back and forth as needed.

With HP tuners, you can download whatever tune you want and run it.  No need for a dyno.  You can also fix simple stuff not available on a hand held.  I always hated how GM setup tow mode and its great for making small (and easy to DIY) changes/tweaks.  

Just do it right - it isn't that expensive.  You can spend 40k+ on a truck but have to half ass it with some hand held for something as important as the motor/transmission.  No thanks.

• Like 3

Also I have seen many people buy the unit and use it get all the tunes they like and save them to a thumb drive then sell the htp for 90% of the price they paid. Used units sell fast. And if they wish to change tune they just find a shop or person with the unit as there pcm is unlocked and write the file. Cheaper then a tank of gas. But the unit also works on as many cars trucks as you like and not just GM. So if you have more cars or get a new one all you need is credits and your off and away tuning another one. Bang for the buck doesnt stop...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The dealer can def tell that the computer has been flashed even if it’s back to factory. My question is I thought the 8spd trans need a hardware mod to be able to tune them? I have the hyper tech but I can’t do anything with the trans.

If you cant do trans that tuning device is pure shit. Words cant explain how important the trans is in these new trucks.
For purposes of this forum and general consumers we will say yes you tcm needs to be sent out. 200 for the service and 4 credits more.

Paracutin.
If you are E85 and run it. There is a lot of power. If not I think 40ish but you will see different post with different results. Same mods with take you farther. Hardest thing for people to understand is there truck doesnt make the advertised power when they drive it. The torque management blocks it out. Just un locking it will feel like double the power.
You can log and send anyone the file. And logging is easy pids not so easy but few minutes of YouTube videos and you will get it or go to HPT forums and download a config file click the add button and open file save config and done.

4 hours ago, Jacoby said:

Im not miss informed.  I have a 2012 CTS-V that's heavily modded on E85 thats tuned with HP Tuners.  Im well aware you can do street tunes as that's how you do the trans tunes.  Stop huffing and puffing and trying to sound all badass cause youre not.  There isn't nothing on the street or track with 1000rwhp that wasn't tuned on a dyno. 

Again with your post you've done nothing more than validated my point and done even less to prove yours.  You're talking about 1000rwhp Escalades and comparing them to trucks that make less than 300rwhp.  Like I said earlier the bulk of what you can do with HPT you can do with some of todays handhelds and their software.  You can log, remote tune, email said tunes, change trans settings like timing, line pressures etc etc etc.  I could go on and on. HPT is OVERKILL for the average truck owner looking for a little more power and better shifting, etc.

Its obvious you're a tuner or think you are anyways or maybe youre an HPT salesman, I don't know.  Point is youre giving out false info and trying to sell someone something they don't need.

I agree with you on most except the Dyno tuning.  I think "Dyno tuning" got popular because it has said good name / ring to it; like people were watching Street Outlaws or read something on a forum. I'll take a street tune over a dyno tune everytime.  I just sold a highly modded car and I got so many doofus's texting me asking how much power it made and if it was Dyno tuned. People who had no clue what it was like to own and maintain a car that's really been modded and not just a intake and exhaust.  A car can be Dyno tuned in 10 minutes and still run like crap because all you've done is set the afr and how much timing will be advanced.

What exactly is the point of a dyno tune, outside a fun looking graph and some numbers? If you're looking for absolute max numbers, sure you could find out you make a few more ponies with a degree or two more timing or a small change in afr; but the reality is you set the car to run at a certain afr and timing level and the power is what it is.  Strapping it on a dyno won't change that.  I have "Dyno tuned" too adding a few or taking away a few degrees of timing made little difference.  At the time I didn't own a wideband so it was useful to get the WOT fueling right though.

Street tune with a wideband. Once the car is running and driving correctly then you do some wot pulls to make sure the AFR is what you want and you've got the right timing.  

As to tuning software, I've only ever used HPtuners so I can't say much about the others.  I've heard good things about EFIlive as well, but it's been a few years since ive been really active in that crowd.  I would like the ability to flash and log without dragging my laptop around. 

Getting a vehicle really dialed in can take a lot of time.  For that reason, most are going to be best off paying Blackbear or similar. If you're going to try and do something similar yourself it's a lot more complicated than 1slow1500 is leading anyone to believe. Some things are enable / disable and simple to figure out but a good timing table, shift patterns, torque management, torque converter lockup tables - it's going to be a lot of work and have to become more of a hobby if you want to get good.  I have countless hours into reading, expirimenting and tuning - it consumes you.  At this point in my life however, I'd rather pay someone who has already figured out what works on these vehicles and be done with it.  

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Jacoby said:

Im not miss informed.  I have a 2012 CTS-V that's heavily modded on E85 thats tuned with HP Tuners.  Im well aware you can do street tunes as that's how you do the trans tunes.  Stop huffing and puffing and trying to sound all badass cause youre not.  There isn't nothing on the street or track with 1000rwhp that wasn't tuned on a dyno. 

Again with your post you've done nothing more than validated my point and done even less to prove yours.  You're talking about 1000rwhp Escalades and comparing them to trucks that make less than 300rwhp.  Like I said earlier the bulk of what you can do with HPT you can do with some of todays handhelds and their software.  You can log, remote tune, email said tunes, change trans settings like timing, line pressures etc etc etc.  I could go on and on. HPT is OVERKILL for the average truck owner looking for a little more power and better shifting, etc.

Its obvious you're a tuner or think you are anyways or maybe youre an HPT salesman, I don't know.  Point is youre giving out false info and trying to sell someone something they don't need.

First of you should relax and not try to insult people. You have no idea who i am what I do or anything about me and it isn't the point of any of this so please stay on point. 

I asked a question on how the hand held tune the 8speed trans. what does one do after they spend xxx on the hand held and upgrade to over the abilities of the unit. 

Where did I give false info? I listed my option and also the fact HPtuners does more, but then again this is your point. I guess we just disagree on the word overkill. It is the best most use full tool a to unlock and tune said vehicle. you can use the unit to do endless amounts of car/trucks. and IMHO best support and most used by professionals.  

Interesting you have HPT on you caddy but still call it overkill. 

In closing I am a badass.....HAHAHA 

22 minutes ago, Yondu said:

I agree with you on most except the Dyno tuning.  I think "Dyno tuning" got popular because it has said good name / ring to it; like people were watching Street Outlaws or read something on a forum. I'll take a street tune over a dyno tune everytime.  I just sold a highly modded car and I got so many doofus's texting me asking how much power it made and if it was Dyno tuned. People who had no clue what it was like to own and maintain a car that's really been modded and not just a intake and exhaust.  A car can be Dyno tuned in 10 minutes and still run like crap because all you've done is set the afr and how much timing will be advanced.

What exactly is the point of a dyno tune, outside a fun looking graph and some numbers? If you're looking for absolute max numbers, sure you could find out you make a few more ponies with a degree or two more timing or a small change in afr; but the reality is you set the car to run at a certain afr and timing level and the power is what it is.  Strapping it on a dyno won't change that.  I have "Dyno tuned" too adding a few or taking away a few degrees of timing made little difference.  At the time I didn't own a wideband so it was useful to get the WOT fueling right though.

Street tune with a wideband. Once the car is running and driving correctly then you do some wot pulls to make sure the AFR is what you want and you've got the right timing.  

As to tuning software, I've only ever used HPtuners so I can't say much about the others.  I've heard good things about EFIlive as well, but it's been a few years since ive been really active in that crowd.  I would like the ability to flash and log without dragging my laptop around. 

Getting a vehicle really dialed in can take a lot of time.  For that reason, most are going to be best off paying Blackbear or similar. If you're going to try and do something similar yourself it's a lot more complicated than 1slow1500 is leading anyone to believe. Some things are enable / disable and simple to figure out but a good timing table, shift patterns, torque management, torque converter lockup tables - it's going to be a lot of work and have to become more of a hobby if you want to get good.  I have countless hours into reading, expirimenting and tuning - it consumes you.  At this point in my life however, I'd rather pay someone who has already figured out what works on these vehicles and be done with it.  

Sounds think you know what you are talking about I agree with all of it and in hind sight I can see how a newbie could have a learning curve. And I have been told I over simplify things. Has to be cause I'm a badass.... Oh that's funny still  

The lamest kind of fight is an internet fight. There are some good points made by both sides. Please don't ruin the thread. Seriously you never know whos on the other end.  The one your making fun of could be special forces, an agent, a serial killer, a chomo, or a noodle armed geek - YOU do not know so why speculate & try to pump yourself by calling someone who is bringing intelligent information  a clever to you name.. about as retarded as it gets. 

truth is if you just have a cold air and a cat back and you find an expert like Justin from Blackbear and have him do a street tune with HP tuners You would be surprised how your 300 whp truck now runs.  I've done that, way worth it to me. So I just don't like discouraging people from doing something that may be cool to them.  It's been mentioned: low budget - less expectation get the cheapest handheld, more budget get a custom tuned handheld.  want max results find a tuner/dyno/tool to get you there and research more than just all our limited opinions.

MNGA - make the net great again.

If a guy wants to blow money by getting more tool than he needs who cares, you stand around at the hardware store too? Don't buy that impact! too much! you don't need all those ft-lbs. just get a breaker bar...

Edited by kennerz
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’ve have experience with domestic and foreign vehicles. I’ve done some bracket racing and built some mild street machines since the 70s. I’ve been using over the counter tuners since they been available up to my 2014. My experience has been for unlocking the performance that’s already there they are enough at a reasonable price. Unless you add other mods there’s no reason to do more. My blown trucks came with their own tune that did the job.

Doesn't really matter what engine setup you have. It really just boils down to the person. Two types of people. Ones who want and like to tinker and are true hands on and the ones who don't want to mess with all that.
Anyone can find an internet jerk who doesn't realize people are crazy and will find you if they want.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

So, trying to filter for info thru all of the noise, what I am hearing is that for my truck, using HPT,  I need to send the TCM in to be unlocked ($200 and I can't drive the truck for a week), purchase an MPVI2 Pro ($550), purchase at least 2, possibly 4 licenses ($50ea) and download a tune.  For about a grand I can have a tow tune, street tune and stock tune that I need a laptop to switch between.  40hp or so gain and much improved drive-ability.

Using Trinity T2 EX for $560 I have have several canned tunes and can switch between them with the unit itself (no laptop).  I will also have all of the monitoring functions provided by the unit. No word on the ability to tune the 8 speed trans so I am going to error on the side of caution and assume the Trinity cannot.  25hp or so gain with perhaps a small increase in drive-ability.  For an additional $110 I can have a custom tune that will add another 15hp.  The jury is still out on the trans.

Both tuners will leave a digital footprint on the PCM and TCM so the dealer will know and GM can deny warranty coverage or at the very least make your life miserable fighting for the coverage.

I an having a hard time justifying the possibility of losing warranty coverage on a $50k vehicle for 40hp and perhaps a smoother shifting trans.  I am also curious as to what removing torque management does to the longevity of the transmission.  The best case is it is not effected at all but I don't believe that for a second.  The manufacturers wouldn't add it in if it didn't make the trans live longer.

First off, I have a 2018 1500 LTZ DC 4x4 6.2L w/ 8 speed trans with no mods what so ever.  The most I plan on doing is a CAI and maybe a CAT back exhaust.

I was looking at the Trinity T2 EX Platinum with a custom tune from DiabLew for a few reasons.  

1: I like the monitoring functions of the Trinity T2 EX.  

2: I think I will like like the ability to switch back and forth between different tunes. 

3: It's easy.  One price for the programmer and a one time charge for the tune.  Currently $710 for the Trinity T2 EX and a custom tune.  

4: Can the Trinity tune the 8 speed trans?

5: What are the average power and torque gains on a stock 6.2L?

There is a lot of talk about HP Tuners so it got me thinking if that might be an option.  Let me say that I have NO interest in doing my own tunes.  None!  I am an IT professional by trade so technology doesn't scare me, I'm just not interested in doing my own tuning (at this time).
So... what would I need to purchase to have a local shop tune my vehicle with their HP Tuners software?  Hardware, software,  a license?  Can I go in and have them use their MPVI2 to do the data logging, create and write the tune or do I need to buy the MPVI2?  I'd imagine I have to have it and the software to switch between different tunes. How many credits does it take to tune, including the 8 speed trans?  I think it is 4.  So, $550 for the MPVI2 Pro plus 4 credits at $50ea is $750.  The HPT and the Trinity are close on price. 
What if I wanted to be able to go back and forth between a tow based tune and a tune more suited for "stop light racing"?
Do I have to actually go to a shop so they can do some data logging or can I log data myself and send it to them?

What are the average power and torque gains on a stock 6.2L?

The million dollar question... can the dealer tell if you have flashed your PCM (even if you flash back to stock) and possibly deny warranty coverage?

It amusing the mindset these days. I want everything with no risk. Back in the day we spent weekends bolting on HP to gain 50 HP. Today fuel and a tune you’re there. Warranty is the next worry. I haven’t heard of a denial on a gas tune yet. Of course back in the day we didn’t have a warranty to speak of. We tinkered all week. My opinion is if you’re an enthusiast you unlock the beast within, tune it pick your poison. If you’re just a driver, drive on.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

It amusing the mindset these days. I want everything with no risk. Back in the day we spent weekends bolting on HP to gain 50 HP. Today fuel and a tune you’re there. Warranty is the next worry. I haven’t heard of a denial on a gas tune yet. Of course back in the day we didn’t have a warranty to speak of. We tinkered all week. My opinion is if you’re an enthusiast you unlock the beast within, tune it pick your poison. If you’re just a driver, drive on.

Of course you haven't.  People don't go bragging about how they just paid $3500 in repairs because they were denied warranty coverage because of a tune.