Which Tuner?

On 12/20/2018 at 8:57 PM, 1SLOW1500 said:

To say he 100% tunes it, I believe he makes changes and you are happy but without a log of you truck how does he do that or how can he maximize a tune. I really don't know and am asking.

BlackBear sends you an autocal handheld. He then asks for the customer to send a read of the ECU and/or TCM of the stock truck using the autocal. He then emails you a tune to install and then you take a log of the truck using the autocal after you install his tune. He then fine tunes the tune using data logs. The logging process is just like with the HPT handheld and computer, however the autocal does not ever require you to have a laptop hooked up while in the truck. The laptop is only used to transfer log files from your autocal to you computer, and transfer tunes from your email to your autocal.

I use both the autocal and the HPT handheld on my truck. 

Yeah that is what I thought. Also for the people reading these post I will say yet again HPT can do that also. The pro I have has a button on it to record. So plug in drive and push button  get home press stop and walk it inside to a computer email log of and wait for tune to come back. 

And again he CAN'T tune the 8 speed trans! At least that is my understanding of it. Correct?

Edited by 1SLOW1500
add

9 hours ago, 1SLOW1500 said:

Yeah that is what I thought. Also for the people reading these post I will say yet again HPT can do that also. The pro I have has a button on it to record. So plug in drive and push button  get home press stop and walk it inside to a computer email log of and wait for tune to come back. 

And again he CAN'T tune the 8 speed trans! At least that is my understanding of it. Correct?

I didn't know the pro version could log without a computer. Good to know. You have the older mpvi1, correct? I didn't need the pro version when I bought mine, and I was able to get a brand new standard mpvi with 8 credits for $350, so I jumped on it.

BlackBear can only tune the 8-speed once it's unlocked by HPT, no different than any other tuner out there. Yes, I know Vector and Trifecta (although Trifecta is iffy according to some) say they can tune the TCM without using HPT's unlock service (probably because they know how to unlock somehow as well). Just so people out there understand, just because you buy an HP Tuners handheld does not mean you can tune your 2017+ 8-speed trans. You still have to have HPTuners unlock the TCM for $200 (the "send in your TCM" method) or you have to buy a new unlocked TCM from them for $400.

Question for you. If I get my T87A unlocked, would it be easy to get a trans tune that is already written by someone and install it using my HPT? I have a Maggie TVS1900 on my 2017 6.2L.

• Like 1

I think the question should be has any gas vehicle had a warranty problem using a tune or tuner? Otherwise you’ll get a bunch of useless opinions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, That sounds better.
Anyone?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Mileguru. That is a smoking good deal on a HPT even if it isn't a pro. I only have pro because I use the O2 analog input. But I can also have used the USB.
Every credit is $50 so that is a steel. There are already many 8speed tunes out there and you can just download them open your tune and compare or straight copy it then drive and see how you like it.

I have the older version yes.

I have never seen or heard of tune voiding warranty. I'm sure it has happened. But in the extreme cases where say the motor goes the deal my point to a turbo, supercharger, nitrous or parts before going threw the software. Again win for any tune that allows you to swap back. Yes dealer can see software was changed but not the parameters of the change. So I have my "soft tune " for dealer visits and I just turn off my boost controller. No codes and low boost. 3be54a11fa65d323dffa73e46b4fa721.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

On 12/22/2018 at 2:55 PM, 1SLOW1500 said:

Mileguru. That is a smoking good deal on a HPT even if it isn't a pro. I only have pro because I use the O2 analog input. But I can also have used the USB.
Every credit is $50 so that is a steel. There are already many 8speed tunes out there and you can just download them open your tune and compare or straight copy it then drive and see how you like it.

Thanks. I bought it when people were dumping them for around $400 - $500 because the MPI2 was coming out, and I had a 20% eBay coupon. I got it from Speedway Motors, so it was a reputable seller. I used 4 of the credits for the supercharger tune and am still thinking of paying for the TCM unlock since I have 4 more credits just sitting on it. I haven't looked on the HPT forum for transmission tunes, but maybe I'll get around to it someday soon.

• 10 months later...

Earlier this year we got my wife a used 2015 Yukon XL Denali with the 6.2 and 8-spd trans.  I did quite a bit of home work on which tuner I wanted to go with and I landed on Livernois.  I did the Stage 1 that includes a 160 thermostat, cold air intake, and handheld tuner.  The truck is very strong with the 91 tune, and the 93 tune will get it to 460hp and 550 torque.  I'll race anyone who wants to and I like to drive it like I stole it, using maual mode as needed.  With all the hard driving included, gas mileage went from an average of 16mpg before tune to 15.6 mpg.  I do run Royal Purple and AmOil fluids throughout the entire vehicle, which helps with the gas mileage, freeing up a few horse, and protecting it while I beat the tar out of it.  

The 160 thermostat is going kinda suck in the dead of winter if it gets really cold where you live.

No doubt the tune and such makes these trucks run/drive better but those hp/tq numbers are kinda skeptical without a dyno graph. Those are going to be crank horsepower "estimates" because it's 420hp stock minus drivetrain loss. So maybe 360-380 at the tire. I just don't want future readers to start drooling at the mouth when they read 460hp and over 500 ft/lbs of torque.

1 hour ago, Steve_B34 said:

Earlier this year we got my wife a used 2015 Yukon XL Denali with the 6.2 and 8-spd trans.  I did quite a bit of home work on which tuner I wanted to go with and I landed on Livernois.  I did the Stage 1 that includes a 160 thermostat, cold air intake, and handheld tuner.  The truck is very strong with the 91 tune, and the 93 tune will get it to 460hp and 550 torque.  I'll race anyone who wants to and I like to drive it like I stole it, using maual mode as needed.  With all the hard driving included, gas mileage went from an average of 16mpg before tune to 15.6 mpg.  I do run Royal Purple and AmOil fluids throughout the entire vehicle, which helps with the gas mileage, freeing up a few horse, and protecting it while I beat the tar out of it.  

Bullshit on those numbers

I live in canada, I have a 2018 sierra Denali with a 6.2.
After reading this thread I'm now not sure what tuner to buy.
I was going to pickup the Trinity t2.
But now, well I don't know.

Sent from my S10 using my thumbs, with tapatalk.

Ok I'm now leaning to the hptune,

i'm seeing posts on the hptune forum about downloading tunes, is that something for paid customers only?

also where is the best place to learn how to tune and understand what each setting does?

looks like if i go this route i'll have a new hobby.

The down loads are the repository are.mostly stock tune and some customs. Best to learn and do yourself.
Greg Banish is the best he sell DVDs and book on Amazon. But now he has a pay per view also.
Also youtube a had two good guys ceasar something and a guy with a truck like ours with a supercharger. Also the forum is free so start reading. There is a learning curve but once toy get it the feeling is great. You can mod your own. Or with device still have it tuned and use device for data and trouble codes.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1