Help deciding on new truck, sell my Tundra?

Hi everyone, 

Definitely new here so take it easy on me :) I currently have a 2010 Toyota Tundra that I bought new and it's been an amazing truck! I am however considering selling it and getting a new truck. I looked at the new Tundra's and I was quite sad to not notice too much of a difference from what I already have, it just didn't feel like the upgrade I was expecting for 8 model years later. I liked the exterior better but it's minor changes. 

I'm not really a Ford or Dodge fan but I do really like the new Silverado 1500's, test drove one to day to get my eyes on it in person and was quite impressed with the look and feel of it and could definitely see myself purchasing one. My Tundra is currently lifted about 7" (Procomp with Icon coilovers, deaver springs etc) and on 37's which other various mods and I'd definitely would be doing something similar to my next truck purchase. Maybe not 37's but at least 35's. However, my 37's are pretty dang new so I'd probably remove them from the Tundra and install something else before I sold it then throw the 37's on whatever I buy next, after an appropriate lift of course. 

With that said, and at first glance, I like the LT Trail Boss package. Although it may not be worth if to do that exact package if I'm just going to be installing a lift anyway, but at least I'd be happy with the base truck as-is until I had time and extra $$ for the upgrades. 

My Tundra is the CrewMax with the 5.7V8, so I'd be going with the similar body style and 5.3V8 for Chevy. Tundra only has 55k miles so should be an easy-ish sell. 

So, what do you all think? Do I really want to get rid of my Tundra and would I be happy with the new Silverado in its replacement? Is the LT trail boss a waste if I'm planning on doing suspension upgrades and would I be better off with the LT with the other options added on minus the lift? I really don't like chrome so the additional black trim pieces on the trail boss is a huge plus! I guess the RST is an option too since it has the body colored grill etc instead of chrome. 

Thanks for any input! I'm not in a rush and just gathering info to help push my decision along further :)

I use to trade every two years, high mileage for work. If I haven’t been bouncing between enthusiast sites I say go for it. It seems these new trucks can be a crap shoot for being problem free. My advice now would be if it’s reliable and you still like it keep it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FirstAscent,

As a 2019 Silverado owner I will tell you that I absolutely love it. I previously had a 2008 and all the items us Chevy truck owners bitched about for years such as the infamous “Chevy Shake”, a bigger back seat, and cup holders in the back have all been addressed plus a new sweet body re-design. I rate it an A- for some very very minor things.

As far as your Tundr goes dude keep it. Use the extra money that you don’t have a car payment to truck it out more. Bigger wheels and different tires for example can make it feel like a different truck. 

The reason son that I say keep it.....

1. It only has 55K miles, man that’s nothing

2. Interest rates are in the rise, that sucks

3. Save your money up so you can get an LTZ and pay cash for a lift instead of feeling like your stuck with the trail boss.

4. Like you said, the Tundra has had very minor changes recently, your body style is not outdated yet.

• Like 1

A vehicle is a tool.

It provides transportation.

It is the worst investment.

Your choice.

But from your info you like vehicles being you have a new Jag.

So are looking for us to convince you not to spend money?

I say again, if you like to work, have to have the newest, keep up with the Joneses buy it.

If you save the money and invest it you're better off IMO.

Nuff said.

:)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, diyer2 said:

A vehicle is a tool.

It provides transportation.

It is the worst investment.

Your choice.

But from your info you like vehicles being you have a new Jag.

So are looking for us to convince you not to spend money?

I say again, if you like to work, have to have the newest, keep up with the Joneses buy it.

If you save the money and invest it you're better off IMO.

Nuff said.

:)

I like your avatar. Your advice is spot on as well. :thumbs: 

I owned a Tundra and it wasn't a bad truck.  2007 model which was the first year of the "current" bodystyle.  A Toyota with 55K miles is nothing.  The 5.7 is a strong runner.  There were some things I disliked about the Toyota, specifically the 4x4 system and not having a locking rear, but if you've been happy with yours I'd stay put.  It seems that all the manufacturers are pushing so much technology for government CAFE requirements that I'm not sold on the reliability.  Dual turbos, etorque, dynamic fuel management, stop/start.  You name it it seems to be on the new 1/2 tons.  I'd give them a year or so to work out all the kinks.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Foghorn17 said:

A Toyota with 55K miles is nothing.

I never would have bought my 2018 Sierra if my old truck (2008 GMC Canyon) only had 55K miles.  That's not to say that I don't like my Sierra, but after you've already put a big lift into a truck, you lose so much money trading it away or selling it. 

But, if you have money burning a hole in your pocket, and there is nothing that would make you happier than a new truck, well, don't ask us for advice, go buy something shiny!

Yeah I figured everyone would roughly have the same opinion haha. But I have to be honest, I'd probably be giving the same advice if I were you. 

I think I'm just ready for a change? I dunno. I do need to put about $5k into the truck as it sits now and I think that's what got the conversation going in my head. It also needs a front bumper, had to take the stock bumper off to fit the 37's and never bought a steel one to replace it haha. As most of you've mentioned, the truck is paid off and that is a pretty big benefit in itself. 

Also, this year range Tundra is known for steering rack issues with larger lifted applications and I kinda just don't want to deal with it anymore. I could put 35's back on it and lower the front coilovers a little which would help, but I don't want to do that :) I was planning on new rear suspension and a few other things so now is the time to decide if I do it to this truck or a new one. 

Unfortunately I really like the '19 Silverado re-design much more than previous years because there are some steals out there for 2018 models! Between selling the Tundra and a little extra cash I could have ~$30k to put towards a new vehicle which would keep payments low, yet it's still a payment. 

Right now I think my impulsive mind is doing the talking and I just feel like a new truck so talking through it outloud haha. I'd be happier with a newer but used Tundra although I wasn't impressed with the differences from what I have now. and I'm really liking the redesign on the Silverado. UGH haha, well I have time, at the very soonest I wouldn't be doing anything for 2-3 months.

Lastly, for fun, here is the Tundra as it sits now that I'm considering selling. Yeah yeah I know it needs a front bumper haha

Casal_2016_05_01_1502_7.thumb.jpg.bf414767cfb12aa46d97d9809c9a5969.jpg

• Like 1

Im a big fan of the Tundra. If it wasnt for the 2008 technology options and the ludicrously low MPGs I would buy one without question. I think they are some of the best looking trucks and are pretty much bullet proof....If you could still get a factory warrantied super charger I just might stop caring about the MPGs and go all on a Toyota. There is some crazy reason that I can justify an 8mpg for a warrantied super charged truck but I cant justify 13mpg for stock V8.

With that said the new Trail boss and AT4 are great....There is something about the Trail boss that hits almost all of the check marks for me. If the TB had a 6.2 option gm would already have my money. I will wait to see what 2020 model holds and then make my call.

Edited by Chris walker

17 hours ago, FirstAscent said:

Hi everyone, 

Definitely new here so take it easy on me :) I currently have a 2010 Toyota Tundra that I bought new and it's been an amazing truck! I am however considering selling it and getting a new truck. I looked at the new Tundra's and I was quite sad to not notice too much of a difference from what I already have, it just didn't feel like the upgrade I was expecting for 8 model years later. I liked the exterior better but it's minor changes. 

I'm not really a Ford or Dodge fan but I do really like the new Silverado 1500's, test drove one to day to get my eyes on it in person and was quite impressed with the look and feel of it and could definitely see myself purchasing one. My Tundra is currently lifted about 7" (Procomp with Icon coilovers, deaver springs etc) and on 37's which other various mods and I'd definitely would be doing something similar to my next truck purchase. Maybe not 37's but at least 35's. However, my 37's are pretty dang new so I'd probably remove them from the Tundra and install something else before I sold it then throw the 37's on whatever I buy next, after an appropriate lift of course. 

With that said, and at first glance, I like the LT Trail Boss package. Although it may not be worth if to do that exact package if I'm just going to be installing a lift anyway, but at least I'd be happy with the base truck as-is until I had time and extra $$ for the upgrades. 

My Tundra is the CrewMax with the 5.7V8, so I'd be going with the similar body style and 5.3V8 for Chevy. Tundra only has 55k miles so should be an easy-ish sell. 

So, what do you all think? Do I really want to get rid of my Tundra and would I be happy with the new Silverado in its replacement? Is the LT trail boss a waste if I'm planning on doing suspension upgrades and would I be better off with the LT with the other options added on minus the lift? I really don't like chrome so the additional black trim pieces on the trail boss is a huge plus! I guess the RST is an option too since it has the body colored grill etc instead of chrome. 

Thanks for any input! I'm not in a rush and just gathering info to help push my decision along further :)

I have a Trail Boss and love it so far.  In my opinion, the blacked out trim makes the truck look more aggressive ( i don't really like chrome).  If you do decide on a Trail Boss, you can fit 35x12.5 tires on it with just a level, assuming your rims are 0 mm offset.  It rides great and mine has almost every option that you could order on it so it is just as loaded as an LTZ and almost as loaded as a High Country.  If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask

20181202_152646.jpg

Edited by z1boss

56 minutes ago, Chris walker said:

Im a big fan of the Tundra. If it wasnt for the 2008 technology options and the ludicrously low MPGs I would buy one without question. I think they are some of the best looking trucks and are pretty much bullet proof....If you could still get a factory warrantied super charger I just might stop caring about the MPGs and go all on a Toyota. There is some crazy reason that I can justify an 8mpg for a warrantied super charged truck but I cant justify 13mpg for stock V8.

With that said the new Trail boss and AT4 are great....There is something about the Trail boss that hits almost all of the check marks for me. If the TB had a 6.2 option gm would already have my money. I will wait to see what 2020 model holds and then make my call.

Agreed, as far as the exterior goes the Tundra is still the best looking truck out there, IMO of course. I just can't believe how much is lacking with the interior. I'm happy with my interior now and think it's actually better than the new 2019 Tundra interior I looked at, it just looked and felt cheap. Great if it was solely a work truck that was going to be constantly dirty, but it's not. When I sat in the Silverado I felt the interior was miles ahead of the Tundra interior. Not perfect, but so much better when compared directly. 

And I so missed out on the factory supercharger! that was on my bucket list for awhile but never pulled the trigger on it. I agree with you as well that the Trail boss hits almost all the check marks for me too, it's a solid setup right off the showroom floor. I could see Chevy adding the 6.2 option in the future, so many people would opt in for that I bet!

2 minutes ago, z1boss said:

I have a Trail Boss and love it so far.  In my opinion, the blacked out trim makes the truck look more aggressive ( i don't really like chrome).  If you do decide on a Trail Boss, you can fit 35x12.5 tires on it with just a level, assuming your rims are 0 mm offset.  It rides great and mine has almost every option that you could order on it so it is just as loaded as an LTZ and almost as loaded as a High Country.  If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask

20181202_152646.jpg

Hey thanks or chiming in with some first hand experience :) You definitely made a good choice! Yeah I love the blacked out trim. Those aren't stock wheel's are they? They seem to stick out further than I would expect from a stock vehicle. I like it! just wouldn't expect if from the factory. 

Good to know about the 35's being able to fit. I have 37's on the Tundra now and if I were to start over with a trail boss I think I'd do 35's. I love the 37's but with only a 6-7" lift I'm definitely squeezing every inch of clearance out of it. I just want a no hassle clean setup with no rubbing at full lock. I'm over cutting corners, literally haha, to make something fit. Over the last couple years I definitely found myself not driving my truck because of the little annoyances, and that makes me sad. 

Since you got yours basically fully loaded, any options you got that you don't really care for? Playing around with the custom build online the MSRP for a build I'd be happy with ranges from $52-54k, after any potential incentives and a company discount I could probably get one for around $45-48k

15 minutes ago, FirstAscent said:

Hey thanks or chiming in with some first hand experience :) You definitely made a good choice! Yeah I love the blacked out trim. Those aren't stock wheel's are they? They seem to stick out further than I would expect from a stock vehicle. I like it! just wouldn't expect if from the factory. 

Good to know about the 35's being able to fit. I have 37's on the Tundra now and if I were to start over with a trail boss I think I'd do 35's. I love the 37's but with only a 6-7" lift I'm definitely squeezing every inch of clearance out of it. I just want a no hassle clean setup with no rubbing at full lock. I'm over cutting corners, literally haha, to make something fit. Over the last couple years I definitely found myself not driving my truck because of the little annoyances, and that makes me sad. 

Since you got yours basically fully loaded, any options you got that you don't really care for? Playing around with the custom build online the MSRP for a build I'd be happy with ranges from $52-54k, after any potential incentives and a company discount I could probably get one for around $45-48k

No, the wheels are aftermarket 20x9s with 0 mm offset.

The MSRP on my truck was $56k.

As for the options, I do love the Bose surround sound system with the sub.  I have heard many regrets from people who got the standard sound system that it isn't loud enough and that there isn't much bass.  This Bose system is by far better than I expected and better than any Bose car system I have heard.  It is included in Convenience Package II.  I also personally love the two tone color option that I chose for my truck.  I have the Gideon/Dark Atmosphere interior in leather and I love way it looks.  I have yet to use the Trailer Brake Control option but I mostly got it so there wouldn't be a blank plate on my dash board.  Also, the safety package I is a must have.  It has already saved my butt multiple times when changing lanes since it is hard to see people in your blind spots especially since mine is lifted.  The only option that I wish I would have gotten is the sunroof however I was told that it might delay my production date initially and my '15s lease was almost up so I was on a tight time table.  My Trail Boss was built the very first week of production and so far no issues, knock on wood, and I have over 6100 miles on it.  Since you like lifted trucks, I am going to assume you like louder trucks.  I have installed a cutout system on my truck to go from loud to quiet via remote since these trucks sound amazing.  I have a few YouTube videos I can share if it is something that you are interested in.  Overall, I am very happy with the options on the truck and I get lots of compliments on it.

20181024_131151.jpg

Edited by z1boss