The brake lights on my 2002 avalanche are not turning off

I took a trip to Louisiana Sunday night and on the way back I noticed that my cruise control was not working when I stop to get gas I walk to the back of my truck and the brake lights are still on even with the key turned off my immediate thought was that the brake switch was bad After replacing it I found out that it was not the Brake switch  so my second thought was that maybe having recently have pulled a trailer that the trailer pin plug may have been shorted out I disconnected it and that was not the problem either I then began checking fuses all the fuses are good and even when I remove the brake light fuse the brake light still stay on the only way to get them to turn off Is to disconnect the battery I am at a loss of what it could be please help

Do the lights stay on with the key off? Normally the brake switch is the first place to start. As you replaced the switch did the lights turn off when unplugged? How are your brakes, could it be triggered by the pads being warn and needing replaced or a possible ABS issue.

• 1 year later...