What a great headline for the new truck

Mind blowing that they reduced the weight 400 pounds, added skip-fire technology, didnt increase HP/TQ and managed to get worse MPG....

Someone is getting chewed out/fired after spending millions on skip-fire and using the "every gram matters" design methodology AND getting worse gas mileage...There is an executive in an office swirling a glass of whiskey wondering what went wrong. 

Still gunna buy one but seems GM is under steering right now.

Edited by Chris walker

32 minutes ago, Chris walker said:

Mind blowing that they reduced the weight 400 pounds, added skip-fire technology, didnt increase HP/TQ and managed to get worse MPG....

Someone is getting chewed out/fired after spending millions on skip-fire and using the "every gram matters" design methodology AND getting worse gas mileage...There is an executive in an office swirling a glass of whiskey wondering what went wrong. 

Still gunna buy one but seems GM is under steering right now.

All that weight savings doesn't matter on the freeway when the front end is larger. A brick can only be so aerodynamic. It sounds like everything is bigger on the 19s. From the front profile to the bed and tailgate.

• Like 2

Just now, KA0S said:

Not trying to be a smart ass or anything, but who is honestly buying a truck for fuel economy???? We aren't talking about a sedan here....

While people don't typically buy a half ton for the fuel economy, a truck does have to be competitive with other trucks on the market.  I'd say the new GM trucks are still competitive.

North Americans are still mad about the government bail-out of GM.

GM had the ignition switch scandal in the news for a while.

GM is now closing Canadian and US plants.

The new HD design received a lot of criticism upon its photo release.

The new Silverado had an "apparent breakdown" at a hockey game, prompting jokes about its quality and reliability.

There are numerous examples of "de-contenting" in the new Silverado.

Now, GM appears to be "going the wrong way" on fuel economy.

Add it all up, and you get a few lost sales. 

• Like 1

I agree. However, I think now people are just trying to find things to criticize about. Because in all honesty, I'm not worried about my fuel economy,driving a 6.2L pickup..

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

17 minutes ago, KA0S said:

Not trying to be a smart ass or anything, but who is honestly buying a truck for fuel economy???? We aren't talking about a sedan here....

Well, I for one did, or at least it was a serious consideration.  I get 9-10mpg around town in my AWD MY03 Denali.  All the way up to 13mpg freeway.  It's a pretty big deal.

If you're doing any sort of cost analysis on a new vehicle and ignoring fuel cost, then that's a pretty flawed analysis on something like a truck where fuel is a huge cost.

Most trade professionals I've contracted with definitely factor in the cost to run their trucks in their pricing.  Cheaper to run makes them more competitive.

Well, I for one did, or at least it was a serious consideration.  I get 9-10mpg around town in my AWD MY03 Denali.  All the way up to 13mpg freeway.  It's a pretty big deal.

If you're doing any sort of cost analysis on a new vehicle and ignoring fuel cost, then that's a pretty flawed analysis on something like a truck where fuel is a huge cost.

Most trade professionals I've contracted with definitely factor in the cost to run their trucks in their pricing.  Cheaper to run makes them more competitive.

We are talking trade professional vs. every day Joe......There's obviously a cost analysis for business purposes in that case. I'm talking just truck guys, who are going to be lifting and installing large tires, which are going to deflate the mpg anyway!

4 minutes ago, KA0S said:

We are talking trade professional vs. every day Joe......There's obviously a cost analysis for business purposes in that case. I'm talking just truck guys, who are going to be lifting and installing large tires, which are going to deflate the mpg anyway!

I am that every day Joe.  But I was commuting 60mi/day at $4/gal+ for premium gas in my supercharged 13mpg truck.  $20/day just to get to work and back 200 days/year adds up.

Suddenly I'm jealous of my friend getting 24mpg in his Tahoe, although he does drive it pretty tame.

I wasn't expecting 24mpg buying the 6.2 compared to my friend's 5.3, but I know I'm doing better than 9-10mpg around town already, and I know when I had a Tahoe Z71, 2WD was good for 3mpg over 4WD.  So I knew my bar was pretty low walking into a truck with a switchable transfer case compared to the AWD Denali.

Yeah but in the real world I still think the 5.3/6.2 will be less thirsty than the Hemi or Coyote/Ecoboost.  In early December, TFL did a mileage test on 1/2 tons Raptor, Rebel, & Trailboss. Not the most fuel efficient offerings of the manufacturers; rough heavy tires, lifted up in the air, etc.  But guess who did the best of the 3?  GM. 

• Like 1

I am that every day Joe.  But I was commuting 60mi/day at $4/gal+ for premium gas in my supercharged 13mpg truck.  $20/day just to get to work and back 200 days/year adds up.

Suddenly I'm jealous of my friend getting 24mpg in his Tahoe, although he does drive it pretty tame.

I wasn't expecting 24mpg buying the 6.2 compared to my friend's 5.3, but I know I'm doing better than 9-10mpg around town already, and I know when I had a Tahoe Z71, 2WD was good for 3mpg over 4WD.  So I knew my bar was pretty low walking into a truck with a switchable transfer case compared to the AWD Denali.

For sure. Just saying. It's low on the totem pole for most when enthusiasts are just going to add mpg killers anyway.

5 minutes ago, Foghorn17 said:

Yeah but in the real world I still think the 5.3/6.2 will be less thirsty than the Hemi or Coyote/Ecoboost.  In early December, TFL did a mileage test on 1/2 tons Raptor, Rebel, & Trailboss. Not the most fuel efficient offerings of the manufacturers; rough heavy tires, lifted up in the air, etc.  But guess who did the best of the 3?  GM.

Indeed that was part of my consideration also.  I was tempted by the Raptor, but I do like the accessible potential in the 6.2L LS.  On top of that the Raptor still can't even manage better gas mileage?  Definitely a harder sell because of the fuel mileage.

I have other cars to drive that get better mileage, so I'm not a miser by any means.  I drive my truck though, so the fun/$ really has to work.

16 minutes ago, Foghorn17 said:

The Raptor has a 450hp motor to the 5.3 355 hp motor.  The Raptor has heavy LT 35" tires already. The Trailboss has light almost 33" tires.  The Raptor is a heck of a lot more capable truck.   Not really an apples to apples comparison.  I'd bet the relatively weak 5.3 would loose a lot of mileage and performance if it had Raptor wheel/tires on it.