What a great headline for the new truck

If I baby mine.... I can squeeze 23 on the highway and average about 19.2 overall.

If I drive it without thinking about it.... the average dips to about 16. 14 during winter months.

When I rip from stop light to stop light then it bottoms to about 11-12

Driving habits are the KEY to mileage figures and estimates.

Some with 2019s are reporting 28 highway or 22 average even on the 6.2

Better start liking Ford and Ram as quick as you can. After the recent 2019 Camaro refresh, 2019 Silverado/Sierra, 2020HD, assembly plants closing, cancelling 4+ models, and "shifting focus to electric/autonomous cars" after the US President exited the Paris climate accord and knocked the EPA back a few pegs, I think GM's days are numbered again. After pulling the plug on the US/Canadian workers, it is unlikely our governments will bail them out again and rightfully so. They need to get rid of the Elitist SJW Barra and hire a knowledgeable CEO from within the company, such as Jim Mero. Someone who isn't hell bent on selling us out the Global Warming Banksters and that knows it is not realistic to put all your focus and investment on autonomous cars just yet. 

• Like 1

Here is a crazy idea if you want good gas mileage don't buy a truck. I drive around 800 miles a week on average and get 15 mpg, I just really don't care about gas mileage and it reflects in how I drive. It just blows my mind how people are going to buy a truck and then have the audacity to complain about the bad gas mileage, if you want good gas mileage go buy a Prius or some other car or a POS Ecoboost. 

When I buy a truck not only do I not want or care about gas mileage I want the biggest motor they make (6.2 in the case of 1500 GM's). I like the sound it makes when I slam on the skinny pedal. That's my two cents, not that you asked for it but you got it.

• Like 1

Take note, the EPA has changed how they are rated more now.  Notice that TrailBoss is rated separate as well?  An LT/RST/LTZ 5.3/A8 4x4 is 16 city/22 hwy/18comb, where a 5.3/A8 trailboss is 15city/20hwy/17comb.

A 2019 2wd 5.3/A8 is up 1 mpg (17city/23hwy/19comb) in each category over a 2018 2wd 5.3/A8 (16city/22hwy/18comb). 

A 2019 4x4 5.3/A8 is rated 16city/22hwy/18comb and a 2018 4x4 5.3/A8 is rated 15city/20hwy/17comb.

You really have to fine tooth comb the numbers now between 2018 and 2019.  Media outlets just seem to jump on the "lowest" ones or "unchanged" ones and not really look at each option. 

Edited by newdude

57 minutes ago, TyGriff13 said:

Here is a crazy idea if you want good gas mileage don't buy a truck. I drive around 800 miles a week on average and get 15 mpg, I just really don't care about gas mileage and it reflects in how I drive. It just blows my mind how people are going to buy a truck and then have the audacity to complain about the bad gas mileage, if you want good gas mileage go buy a Prius or some other car or a POS Ecoboost. 

When I buy a truck not only do I not want or care about gas mileage I want the biggest motor they make (6.2 in the case of 1500 GM's). I like the sound it makes when I slam on the skinny pedal. That's my two cents, not that you asked for it but you got it.

I agree with you 100%. I got a truck because I wanted a truck, not because of fuel mileage, I had a 2015 LT with a 5.3 and I could average 18 - 24 mpg depending on my driving habits. I recently traded for a Trail Boss and am well aware that I'm going to get less mpg. I don't care, I happen to like the truck and I got it for that fact not for mpg.

• Like 1

You also have to remember that they are only comparing the models that are using the same engine/technology as the previous generation. They are not comparing the AFM to the DFM engines. Like another person said aerodynamics play a huge role.

On 12/11/2018 at 2:37 PM, KA0S said:

We are talking trade professional vs. every day Joe......There's obviously a cost analysis for business purposes in that case. I'm talking just truck guys, who are going to be lifting and installing large tires, which are going to deflate the mpg anyway!

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

For every truck guy that lifts their truck and adds tires, I would bet there would be over 50x as many trucks that stay completely stock. Either sold to commercial users or individuals who don't mod their truck. And I guarantee those buyers will be looking at fuel economy. 

For everyone saying it doesn't matter since it's a truck, I say if your in the financial position to not worry about it then fine. Frankly, if I'm spending upwards of $5000/yr on fuel, I will damn sure be paying attention if one brand gets noticeably different economy than another. 

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 4:54 PM, TyGriff13 said:

How do you make it to the bathroom to pee with a focus that narrow? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 12/11/2018 at 4:54 PM, TyGriff13 said:

I love when people try to make this argument. "Who buys a truck for fuel economy? Buy a prius. Blah blah blah.." Trucks are not fuel efficient vehicles, I agree with you there. However, comparatively against its outgoing model, it should be improving. Isn't that how technology works? Improving upon older versions? You don't think getting worse fuel mileage than the outgoing model is a fail?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I love when people try to make this argument. "Who buys a truck for fuel economy? Buy a prius. Blah blah blah.." Trucks are not fuel efficient vehicles, I agree with you there. However, comparatively against its outgoing model, it should be improving. Isn't that how technology works? Improving upon older versions? You don't think getting worse fuel mileage than the outgoing model is a fail?
Comparing apples to oranges is not the best analogy, I agree. That being said, the previous model was ridiculed for having such a low front end, etc... The reason the front end was so low, was for aerodynamics and fuel efficiency.

So people will complain no matter what. It's human nature.

I don't believe the weight savings was SOLELY for fuel efficiency.

But those buying a 6.2L full sized truck for fuel savings, aren't really looking at the big picture. Why not wait for a diesel? That's all we run at our company, and I can assure you, the fuel economy on the diesel for this truck, will surpass the gas versions for sure...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NWI Denali said:

I understand what you're saying completely but its just the fact that I truly do not care about gas mileage. Call me stupid or anything else if you'd like but I don't buy trucks for gas mileage. I buy it to hunt, tow my boat, and get from point A to point B in the safest, fastest, and most legal way possible. To each is own mi amigo. 

Have a Merry Christmas! 

On 12/14/2018 at 3:14 PM, Grumpy Bear said:

How do you make it to the bathroom to pee with a focus that narrow? 

Very very carefully, life's hard lol that was a good one! Have a Merry Christmas! 

8 hours ago, KA0S said:

But those buying a 6.2L full sized truck for fuel savings, aren't really looking at the big picture. Why not wait for a diesel? That's all we run at our company, and I can assure you, the fuel economy on the diesel for this truck, will surpass the gas versions for sure...

You are right, but the premium you have to pay for the little diesel, plus the cost of after muffler fluid may negate most mpg gains depending how much you drive, it maybe 5 years or more before you break even.   

• Like 1