How to fix pull to the right?

Ive always had a moderate pull to the right when hands off the wheel. To drive straight, I have to hold the wheel about 1/2 inch turned to the left. I noticed the passenger right tire tread was chopped in irregular patterns, but they were old tires so I didn't care. I put off identifying and fixing the issue. I recently got the truck leveled and new, expensive AT tires. I got the truck aligned and was told it was "way misaligned," however the issue is still there, although a little better. I don't want to chop up these tires and want to be able to take my hands off the wheel and not start drifting right.

Any ideas? Easy fix? Hard fix?

FWIW, 2002 Chevrolet Avalanche Z71. 144,xxx miles, everything all original. Now have new keys for the level and new 285/70/17 Toyo tires

Take it back to the alignment shop and tell them it is still pulling to the right and see what they have to say. With those miles you should also check for worn suspension parts.

Edited by NARDA1

Jack up the front end and make sure that the inner and outer tie rods are not loose as well as your balljoints and bushings. Like previously mentioned your mileage is high and suspension parts tend to wear out around 100k and need to be replaced. Also I would double check how much play you have in the steering wheel. You should see an immediate movement in the front tires if you barely bump the wheel when the front end is off the ground.

If all the suspension components looks fine my next place i'd start is looking at your brakes. Make sure you don't have a caliper hanging up and causing the pads to drag on the rotor. If you have a temperature gun you can go for a drive and see what the temperatures read on the rotors at each wheel. That helps figure out which one is dragging since it will be hotter than the other rotors.

edit: I have never really heard it happening but wouldn't hurt to check. Look at your front wheel hubs and check for any excess movement or noise in them.

Edited by kickass audio

The alignment shop has to be checking all the parts before they align it.. If they didn't go get your money back and go to a reputable alignment shop.
Checking all the parts is the first step in the process!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Can these components be checked by simply shaking the tire when the front end is jacked up to see lateral play in the wheel?

I'm not the most mechanically inclined but am a quick learner.
Please have someone with experience help you out.. Call the alignment shop and question them.
DID YOU FIND ANY LOOSE PARTS?
Typically a pull can be caused by radial tire lead, alignment or road crown..
Loose parts cause tire wear more than pull.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I would start by asking them if there are any loose components or parts that are bent. Are the bushings worn down? I also would make them take you in the back to your truck and have them show you everything is solid. 

If your front end is off the ground you can grab the tires at the 3 and 9 oclock position to see if you have any wiggling in the wheel before the steering wheel begins to turn. If you do then you know that's where your problem lies. Get a detailed print out of the alignment that shows where each alignment is at on your truck.

And does your truck pull if you drive in the middle of the road? Roads all have curves to them so water can drain off the surface. Driving on the left most lane will make my truck want to turn to the left and driving on the right most lane makes my truck want to drive to the right. Getting in the middle of the road makes it stay straight ahead without any input on the wheel.

• 1 month later...

The shop should shake down the front before any alignment. The caster may also be out to the point where it causes the pull. Get a printout before and after and post it up on here so we can see what the hell is going on ha