Had Rams with the 5.7 Hemi for the last two trucks, and now I’m thinking about getting a trail boss, or RST which ever is more affordable for what I want. I love the hemi and feel the 5.3 lacks some acceleration so I was thinking about getting my first diesel, but I’m not sure if it will be worth it. It looks like I would only save a few bucks at the pump, and I’m sure cost for the diesel option won’t be cheap. Would you guys go for the 3.0 over the 5.3, and why?

Outside of HD trucks, diesels are not fast. It'll be slow but pull like a freight train. The engine will likely add $3000-$4000 to the sticker and as was already said, diesel tends to be more expensive. I'm not sold on diesels in the light duty trucks. It's a tough spot. I want to get back into a pickup myself this spring and I'm a Chevy fan but as much as I like the concept of the Trail Boss, GM has left a lot out of these trucks, including removing stuff 2018s had. Really makes me look toward Ford and Ram. 

• Like 1

On 12/26/2018 at 3:56 PM, Bulldog4xFour said:

Had Rams with the 5.7 Hemi for the last two trucks, and now I’m thinking about getting a trail boss, or RST which ever is more affordable for what I want. I love the hemi and feel the 5.3 lacks some acceleration so I was thinking about getting my first diesel, but I’m not sure if it will be worth it. It looks like I would only save a few bucks at the pump, and I’m sure cost for the diesel option won’t be cheap. Would you guys go for the 3.0 over the 5.3, and why?

Bulldog, to piggy back off of what Mizzou said, go the 5.3 route. These new GM trucks with the 5.3 have some zip to them. I was screwing around with a ram before I got my lift on and chirped the tires real nice going into 2nd gear.

GM did a weight reduction in this body style so the 5.3L performs way better than in the previous years. 

I test drove a LT yesterday with a 6” procomp lift, 20” wheels, and 35” MTs. I’m not really into the 6” lift, I would prefer a 3”, but I wanted to test drive it to see how it felt with such a big lift and tires. I was actually really surprised by how smooth the ride was. The 5.3 was no rocket ship, but it didn’t feel dogged down either. After seeing what you guys said, and test driving it im starting to feel like the 5.3 is the way to go.

+ 1 on the weight reduction. All things being equal, the new 2019 5.3 trucks should be quicker.  Interesting thing is the same can't be said for the new 6.2 -  most are reporting the same if not slower numbers. Not sure why.. likely the 10 speed those 6.2 trucks come with is to blame.  

On 1/5/2019 at 11:39 AM, GMC-AT said:

+ 1 on the weight reduction. All things being equal, the new 2019 5.3 trucks should be quicker.  Interesting thing is the same can't be said for the new 6.2 -  most are reporting the same if not slower numbers. Not sure why.. likely the 10 speed those 6.2 trucks come with is to blame.  

The 10 speed is used in the F150 too and that’s a rocket ship. Doesn’t GM use something stupid like 3.23s in the diffs of the 10 speed trucks? That’s why it’s neutered. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have had 3-6.2L GMC's.  A 2013 with the 6Sp, a 2018 with the 8sp and a new AT4 with the 10 speed.      Trust me, the 2019 runs better and is a little faster in my 1/4mile test track.............Some of the posts on here are real brilliant...............

I have a 2019 Sprinter with a 3.0 diesel, from what I have heard it is similar to other 3.0 diesels. its my first smaller displacement diesel, I have been able to spend time driving and hauling with. It drives very nice but it is in no way fast. phenomenal torque great for towing/hauling/MPG. but I would take a 5.3 or preferably a 6.2 in a personal pickup, no doubt.

How many miles a year do you drive? Tow frequently? I currently have a Ram 1500 diesel, and am seriously looking at the AT4. Fuel is more, fuel water separator needs to be replaced periodically, oil changes are more, takes a lot longer to warm up in colder climates, Diesel Exhaust Fluid and the lovely EGR, DPF, SCR systems and regen. Don’t get me wrong I love my truck, but for the little I’m using it to pull, and the difference in mileage vs fuel cost (almost a dollar more per gallon here) it is definitely more expensive to drive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• 1 year later...
On 12/26/2018 at 2:56 PM, Bulldog4xFour said:

Had my new 3L for about 5 weeks replacing a 14 5.3.  Averaging about 26 (mixed driving) mpg and have much better acceleration. Looking forward to 5th wheel towing in a few days. Love the new truck in spite of the sh..ty dealership in Tucson that Costco sent me to.

• Like 1

On 12/30/2018 at 12:22 PM, MikeNH said:

Outside of HD trucks, diesels are not fast. It'll be slow but pull like a freight train. The engine will likely add $3000-$4000 to the sticker and as was already said, diesel tends to be more expensive. I'm not sold on diesels in the light duty trucks. It's a tough spot. I want to get back into a pickup myself this spring and I'm a Chevy fan but as much as I like the concept of the Trail Boss, GM has left a lot out of these trucks, including removing stuff 2018s had. Really makes me look toward Ford and Ram. 

TFL Truck had a drag race with the 5.3 vs 3.0 and the 3.0 killed the 5.3

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/16/2019 at 2:16 PM, KMGZ400 said:

I have a 2019 Sprinter with a 3.0 diesel, from what I have heard it is similar to other 3.0 diesels. its my first smaller displacement diesel, I have been able to spend time driving and hauling with. It drives very nice but it is in no way fast. phenomenal torque great for towing/hauling/MPG. but I would take a 5.3 or preferably a 6.2 in a personal pickup, no doubt.

I have a 2019 sprinter also for work and a duramax 3.0 daily. The duramax blows the sprinter engine out of the water. Test drive the gm variant you will be surprised. 

Haters had to hate, even though the comments were all before the 3.0 finally became available to drive.....

A lot of things have changed in the diesel world since the change from mechanical injection pump systems to the very high pressure common rail systems with electronic injection, and the development of variable gate turbos.

Probably a bigger difference that switching from carburetors to fuel injection in the gas engine world.

"If you want one or don't want one, you're right."

If one engine was right for everyone, they wouldn't still offer 6 of them.

Edited by redwngr
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/8/2020 at 12:13 PM, Chrisd534 said:

TFL Truck had a drag race with the 5.3 vs 3.0 and the 3.0 killed the 5.3

Yeah but they do that test up in the mountains. Most of us live a few thousand feet closer to sea level. And it still isn't worth the thousands more you'll pay for it.

• Like 1