Hey guys,

Sorry if this has been already posted or discussed before! My dad and I put on longtube headers on my 2014 silverado. We had a helluva time getting the driver side header on from the bottom - up. So we decided to disconnect the steering shaft to give myself room to drop the header down. We got it all installed with relative ease after that and tightened down both bolts on the steering shaft. The next day I tried to remote start my truck and the once I press the remote start, my lights flash as if the truck recognizes it but doesn't try to turnover or anything. The steering is fine once I start the truck, but I noticed that my steering wheel gets locked more often now and I have to giggle the wheel back and forth to unlock the ignition to get my key in. I was wondering if anyone had advice or a video or putting the steering shaft together and see what we did wrong. Thanks

1 minute ago, GGIBBard said:

Hey guys,

Sorry if this has been already posted or discussed before! My dad and I put on longtube headers on my 2014 silverado. We had a helluva time getting the driver side header on from the bottom - up. So we decided to disconnect the steering shaft to give myself room to drop the header down. We got it all installed with relative ease after that and tightened down both bolts on the steering shaft. The next day I tried to remote start my truck and the once I press the remote start, my lights flash as if the truck recognizes it but doesn't try to turnover or anything. The steering is fine once I start the truck, but I noticed that my steering wheel gets locked more often now and I have to giggle the wheel back and forth to unlock the ignition to get my key in. I was wondering if anyone had advice or a video or putting the steering shaft together and see what we did wrong. Thanks

Remote start will usually not work because there has been a code thrown. Have you seen the CEL come on? Would think it is more to do with the headers.

53 minutes ago, JimCost2014 said:

Remote start will usually not work because there has been a code thrown. Have you seen the CEL come on? Would think it is more to do with the headers.

Thanks for the reply... I just unbolted the shaft and double checked it. Looks like I had the wheel cocked prior and its fine now. Yes the CEL is on, I'm running catless exhaust. I knew that it would trip a code, but I didn't know that would affect the remote start (I feel very stupid now). I'm going to buy some O2 sensor spacers as a cheap solution and hope that it tricks the O2 sensor. Thanks again

25 minutes ago, GGIBBard said:

Thanks for the reply... I just unbolted the shaft and double checked it. Looks like I had the wheel cocked prior and its fine now. Yes the CEL is on, I'm running catless exhaust. I knew that it would trip a code, but I didn't know that would affect the remote start (I feel very stupid now). I'm going to buy some O2 sensor spacers as a cheap solution and hope that it tricks the O2 sensor. Thanks again

You are very welcome. Easiest way to tell that something is wrong with your truck is when the remote start does not work. Good luck, the emissions on these trucks are hard to fool. 

Edited by JimCost2014