Reverse Lights Stay on - 2014 Silverado crew cab LTZ

My reverse lights are staying on:

• When in park
  • When in drive
  • When the ignition is off

I have removed fuse #33 in the engine compartment fuse box which kills power to the revers lights to keep from killing my battery. This also keeps my reverse camera from turning on when in reverse also.

I have unplugged the backup camera thinking this was causing a bad ground with no success.

I don't see where a relay might be that could be bad/stuck.

This is a interment problem which points to ground or relay issue somewhere but I don't know where to look.

It looks like the relay KR61 "Trailer Backup Lamps Relay" is also the relay for the vehicle backup lamps. I will swap or replace this relay and see if this resolved the issue.

Thank you for the diagram! This was helpful. I will report back after I replace and drive for a few days to verify this was the problem.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Lsx04gt said:

Did you ever figure this out? Having the same exact thing happen

Welcome to the site.

This is what you need to do if it is the same problem as the above post:

this relay is integrated on a circuit board in the fuse block assembly. To fix this issue will require replacement of the entire fuse block under the hood.

• Like 2

On 8/6/2021 at 7:40 AM, jwhitesides said:

In my continued research I am understanding this relay is integrated on a circuit board in the fuse block assembly. To fix this issue will require replacement of the entire fuse block under the hood.

Can anyone else agree with this?

Sounds correct, there are relays that are actually part of the UH FB, and can not be serviced or replaced.

• Like 2

Wow, great design. Read another story that was related where person replaced rear camera (stock) and cleared up all related backup light issues. This happened about a month ago, pulled fuse, did some bulb changing and light pulling and replaced fuse and stopped until a few days ago. I will have to clear up for good because PA insp/emm is coming up next month, and it’s nice to have truck work the way it should as well also! Thank you guys!

10 hours ago, Lsx04gt said:

Wow, great design. Read another story that was related where person replaced rear camera (stock) and cleared up all related backup light issues. This happened about a month ago, pulled fuse, did some bulb changing and light pulling and replaced fuse and stopped until a few days ago. I will have to clear up for good because PA insp/emm is coming up next month, and it’s nice to have truck work the way it should as well also! Thank you guys!

It has been that way for a while. Had to replace the whole fuse box in my 2008 to get the 3rd brake light to work.

$500.00 at dealer, never had a problem again though.

• Like 1

I haven't fixed it yet but after some troubleshooting I would have to agree that it's the fuse block. I can bang the fuse block to get the integrated relay to turn the reverse lights off. Also I have unplugged the reverse camera with no change to the reverse lights; so the bad ground in camera theory is not the issue in my situation.

2 minutes ago, jwhitesides said:

I haven't fixed it yet but after some troubleshooting I would have to agree that it's the fuse block. I can bang the fuse block to get the integrated relay to turn the reverse lights off. Also I have unplugged the reverse camera with no change to the reverse lights; so the bad ground in camera theory is not the issue in my situation.

Thank you. Gonna try unplugging cam 1st since it’s easy but seems I will be buying a new under hood fuse block

• 4 months later...

I fixed the issue by replacing the under hood fuse block. You MUST get this from the dealer. Mine was $225 + tax. Be sure to have your VIN number to get the correct one. The replacement fuse block does have some different fuse arrangements that I verified with the dealer.

It it very easy to change out:

1. Remove positive battery cable 10mm
  2. Remove power cable from batter to fuse block 10mm
  3. The two levers on the fuse block UN-clip and you rotate them all the way to the center; then rotate them back to the outside while slightly apply pressure to lift the fuse block up. Mine cam out VERY easy once I figured this out. No need to pry or use any tools. Take a look at the replacement fuse block levers and you will understand. No need to remove the cover on the fuse block either.
  4. Dropped the new one in in reverse from above.

Everything works great!

Some have mentioned of ground wire issues that may cause this. I am going to take a look at my ground wires from the battery to see if anything is visually wrong.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I am trying to help my brother who has a 2014 GMC Sierra with the backup lights staying on.  I purchased a used fuse block at a salvage yard with the hope of saving him a few dollars but the problem persists. Maybe the problem was not the fuse box but something else, or maybe I have another faulty fuse box.  My brother said that someone at the dealership said there is a junction box near the rear wheel that should be checked for ground.  I am writing to inquire any any folks out there have experience with this problem and suggestions regarding what to check next. Many thanks