What’s your favorite piece of Memorabilia sitting in your garage?

My grandfather died in 1991. He was the town mechanic in my hometown of Yutan Nebraska. He was one of the most honest, hardworking, and trusted men I'll ever know. He was also a life-long GM man! This simple glass faced back-lighted clock hung in his shop for years. Then it hung in my father's man cave/garage along with his restored 1953 chevy and 51 John Deere "B".  Now both these men are gone and it is  proudly mine. It is about to be picked up from a sign shop that is repairing  the back light, cracked glass, and clock works at a cost of $300. That may seem high but some things you can't put a price on.

Screenshot_20190119-162707.png

Edited by Birdwatcher62
  • Like 7

6dde031958f36ee9d6ce28ec5ae4542c.jpg

Not in my garage yet since I had moved from California to Pennsylvania...but I unexpectedly lost my Dad in May. For as long as I can remember, we were always tinkering around with something whether it be cars to motorcycles. I made sure to take over his Harley before he passed. His burial flag is also one of my most prized belongings which probably won’t ever make its way to the garage as I’d never forgive myself if something happened to it. I also have some paddles from good buddies at my last duty station that come close.

• Like 4

On 2/1/2019 at 3:47 PM, SS502 said:

Nice! I know it isn’t Coke but the darn thing still works...did the restore myself.

A370B887-1B82-42B8-9BF0-375B0A2D5CDD.jpeg

This was what my father displayed in the trunk of his 53 Chevy at car shows. He passed away 3 years ago and the car was recently sold but hanging on to these items!

20190203_090910.jpg

• Like 2

This small sign hung in my late grandparents kitchen for as long as I can remember. We did a final walk through after cleaning up the house after they both passed and it was still hanging there so I had to take it with me.0875ec2dfd4e64113d57af2c1c5ba371.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Birdwatcher62 said:

This was what my father displayed in the trunk of his 53 Chevy at car shows. He passed away 3 years ago and the car was recently sold but hanging on to these items!

20190203_090910.jpg

Well...if he was still with you (us all) I’d offer to send him one of these, I have three of them and it would have fit right in. Not sure what he could have used it for but ya just don’t see them much anymore. Very nice cooler ? and glad you’re hanging on to them!

17604486-4AFF-4C76-83B0-CC6283AD691E.jpegCame in this box...still 2 in it, had 4 but one was given to a good friend who let me share their storage unit ?

91ACE796-2841-4942-8B95-621D14B6810D.jpeg

Edited by SS502

49 minutes ago, SS502 said:

Well...if he was still with you (us all) I’d offer to send him one of these, I have three of them and it would have fit right in. Not sure what he could have used it for but ya just don’t see them much anymore. Very nice cooler ? and glad you’re hanging on to them!

17604486-4AFF-4C76-83B0-CC6283AD691E.jpegCame in this box...still 2 in it, had 4 but one was given to a good friend who let me share their storage unit ?

91ACE796-2841-4942-8B95-621D14B6810D.jpeg

Wow, great piece of memorabilia.  Would love to have one.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Birdwatcher62 said:

My grandfather died in 1991. He was the town mechanic in my hometown of Yutan Nebraska. He was one of the most honest, hardworking, and trusted men I'll ever know. He was also a life-long GM man! This simple glass faced back-lighted clock hung in his shop for years. Then it hung in my father's man cave/garage along with his restored 1953 chevy and 51 John Deere "B".  Now both these men are gone and it is  proudly mine. It is about to be picked up from a sign shop that is repairing  the back light, cracked glass, and clock works at a cost of $300. That may seem high but some things you can't put a price on.

Is that oil can full and are you attached to it? I started collecting them but don’t have a Texaco...would go great with my gas pump. Maybe we could do a trade? Your can for my Coke 1 gallon jug? Just a thought...BUT if it’s part of what was passed on to you I would rather you keep it. PM me and we can see about getting you the jug in your Father’s memory.

191714FA-D3F9-4320-B6C2-7EE1A1852274.jpeg

27CA9F24-9528-4980-B14A-D6AF0B0A5A17.jpeg

Edited by SS502

3 hours ago, Birdwatcher62 said:

20190203_090910.jpg

A15E4B82-FBE1-498A-9212-ACB7CEABE647.jpegThis one will never be as cool as your Coke or my Pepsi but from what I gather, they’re already sought after...maybe my Granddaughter’s generation will be looking at this as Nostalgic ?

120BAD3D-8BD7-4310-8B3C-D2C75B5F2501.jpeg

42614A5E-33B6-4407-B236-09A5E199615A.jpeg

Edited by SS502

My best buddy just passed away before Christmas. He was single and only 59 years old.

We went and cleaned out his house a couple weeks ago so his Sister could sell it.

He caught this 9 lb Walleye on a fishing trip we went on about 20 years ago. I hung it up today in my garage and will always think of my Pal when I look up at it.  

15492322027306290106556092528934.jpg

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Birdwatcher62 said:

this is soooooooooo true  (not being able to put a price on some things). 

my mom loves irises.  my dad had bought my mom an iris stained glass window a few years ago that they were going to hang/mount in a window, but the stained glass window broke somehow before my dad could do that (not sure on the story of how it broke).  i found the broken stained glass in my dad's shed when i was cleaning it out last winter and asked my mom about it - that's when she told me the story (while crying... sorry mom!)

i kinda 'stole' the broken stained glass window and took it to a local glass repair shop.  got if repaired and then i built a shadow box for it and wired it with lights.  i gave it to my mom for her birthday - she bawled and i might have teared up a bit too.  she absolutely loves it and now it hangs in her living room and she always has it illuminated

IMG_5960.thumb.JPG.db2a4a14b5c8dd0759bca5f13956b722.JPG

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, bc-chris said:

this is soooooooooo true  (not being able to put a price on some things). 

my mom loves irises.  my dad had bought my mom an iris stained glass window a few years ago that they were going to hang/mount in a window, but the stained glass window broke somehow before my dad could do that (not sure on the story of how it broke).  i found the broken stained glass in my dad's shed when i was cleaning it out last winter and asked my mom about it - that's when she told me the story (while crying... sorry mom!)

i kinda 'stole' the broken stained glass window and took it to a local glass repair shop.  got if repaired and then i built a shadow box for it and wired it with lights.  i gave it to my mom for her birthday - she bawled and i might have teared up a bit too.  she absolutely loves it and now it hangs in her living room and she always has it illuminated

IMG_5960.thumb.JPG.db2a4a14b5c8dd0759bca5f13956b722.JPG

Wow...won’t confirm this but I could have teared up too just reading that...looks perfect and I’m sure it brings her happy thoughts! ???

Edited by SS502
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Birdwatcher62 said:

You can't put a price on it . Sentimental value has no price. If you ask me that was probably the best $300 you've ever spent.

The old clocks like that are far and few between. I recently sold a Phillips 66 double bubble clock for $950 at the Antique Store my Wife and I own. It hung in a Phillips 66 station for years and it was in excellent condition.

I wish I would have kept it but we run the business to make money and I made a nice profit on it. It was just like this one I found on Google images.

3d687f79916d472bfcc2617852877437.jpg

Edited by dieselfan1
  • Like 1

My Grandfather used to work at the old Blitz Weinhard brewery in Portland Oregon in the late 60’s and through the 70’s. He retired but still gave tours to the public just to stay busy. This is one of the things he got along the way. It’s a very rare wooden case that has 12 unopened bottles (not drinkable lol) that were from the first batch of Henry’s Private Reserve. Came with 2 gold-leaf glasses as well. As mentioned in other posts, some things you just can’t put a price on. I’ve searched and have never been able to find another, I assume most were consumed and long lost. It no longer sits in the garage but it used to when I had a beer fridge ?

59AACEDE-1B0A-4DEB-BFE2-941936FA24C2.jpeg

7D5AB192-7759-4F70-AA91-A387888BD201.jpeg

1F1A0202-FCD4-40D4-8193-D49ED308D477.jpeg

Edited by SS502
  • Like 2

Clock is back from repair. Cracks in glass face epoxied, back lights repaired, and new clock works. Not perfect and still missing the curved clear glass lense that would have been over the whole clock face but I'm sure impossible or $$$ to reproduce.

20190204_162539.jpg

Edited by Birdwatcher62
  • Like 2