Weird MPG

This is my first silverado but not my first truck or vehicle. 2015 LT double cab 4.3l with the active engine cylinder shutdown.

I notice that my MPG fluctuated and changes a ton. For example on long trips when on highway I usually lock in cruise around 70 mph and I can get anywhere from 25-28 mpg depending on traffic and weather. 

In the city I get anywhere from 12 to 18 mpg. I am not a speeder and not someone who launches off the line. I've only owned it for a month now but I feel like I really bounced all over. 

Am i the only one?

18 hours ago, Dersch said:

This is my first silverado but not my first truck or vehicle. 2015 LT double cab 4.3l with the active engine cylinder shutdown.

I notice that my MPG fluctuated and changes a ton. For example on long trips when on highway I usually lock in cruise around 70 mph and I can get anywhere from 25-28 mpg depending on traffic and weather. 

In the city I get anywhere from 12 to 18 mpg. I am not a speeder and not someone who launches off the line. I've only owned it for a month now but I feel like I really bounced all over. 

Am i the only one?

I have a similar truck and enjoy challenging the mpg (L/100km) feature!  I can get really poor mileage when delivering meals to shut-ins during the winter or aggressively driving in the summer while pulling my travel trailer.  My best occurs when I keep to the speed limit on the highway with no cargo.  You will undoubtedly notice a considerable improvement over any older full-sized truck you have owned.  I have owned 6cyl American trucks from the past few decades and they pale in comparison to the power and economy of this particular engine.  You are much more aware of it now that you have this information displayed in front of you.

Edited by Donstar

Also if you remote start it to warm up, MPG are all over the place , In the winter my MPG at full tank are under 600mi in the summer if I fill up ,and have been doing alot of highway driving, D.I.C. shows 675 miles to empty , This is on my company GMC sierra with 4.3

20 hours ago, Dersch said:

Am i the only one?

19 hours ago, Dersch said:

Yeah whenever I switch over to the mpg (which btw I hate that it doesnt stay up or read out with the speedometer) it's usually in v4 mode. Some of it probably is the winter fuel blend and cause I use my remote starter all the time 

You've answered your own question. City v Highway. Winter use of remote start. There is only a 2% difference in fuel BTU values between summer/winter blends. There is a huge difference in initial start up oil viscosity and the length of time it takes to reach 'normal' conditions. Wife drives her Terrain in the winter for work using remote start allot and tends to drive like she stole it and gets 19-22 mpg. I drive it OTR for 300 miles and get 32 mpg like punching a clock. Driving style is huge being the point. We all tend to be a bit more aggressive when we have good traction and are comfortable. Your situation isn't weird at all. Just plain normal. :rolleyes:

• Like 2

i found to get better mpg in V4 mode when used in conjunction with tow haul. 

Run the truck in drive, as soon as it goes into  V4 i quickly tap tow haul, this will hold v4 mode longer and keep it from dropping back into v8 ...i get a little increase in mpg on flat level roads.

I think Grumpy hit the Bullseye...DRIVING STYLE! I have never seen below 14 mpg on my 6.2 but I drive within the law...most of the time ? and I don’t utilize all that power getting to the next stop light. Now don’t get me wrong, there are times when conditions dictate I can be a little less conservative and I let her loose. That however is a rarity. I also used L7 vs Drive 90% for the time to avoid V4 mode, not because of needing all 8 cylinders but because I just don’t trust the AFM from causing damage or contributing to lifter failure. I now have the Range AFM disabler. 4, 6 or 8 cylinder will move these trucks and you can get decent mileage if you put forth a little thought about how you use the go pedal. I’m not preaching that you need to drive any certain way just stating my thoughts. I am guilty of burning through a gallon faster than I needed to! When I got my Borla ATAK...I wasted a few gallons listening to it....but even then my average never dropped below 14.

• Like 1

Also remember that when you're idling, you're getting 0 mpg.

It doesn't really seem to matter how I drive my car, I get 10 L/100 km in the city unless I'm idling a lot to warm it up in winter. Highway tends to vary depending on if I have the wife and dog with me or not because they come with a lot of stuff and demand that I run the A/C if it's warm. 

Something else to think about, you have 3 options when looking at your mpg's...last 25, 50, or 400 miles. Obviously last 25 miles and 50 miles are going to fluctuate the most. I'd set it to last 400 miles and go by that. You can also reset your trip odometer (have A and B) to see what it does lifetime for you. My A trip is my lifetime mileage and avg mpg, I use B trip for specific trips I take and it gets reset.

And nothing seems off by the numbers you posted. I see similar to you.

Edited by midwestdenaliguy

5 hours ago, midwestdenaliguy said:

Something else to think about, you have 3 options when looking at your mpg's...last 25, 50, or 400 miles. Obviously last 25 miles and 50 miles are going to fluctuate the most. I'd set it to last 400 miles and go by that. You can also reset your trip odometer (have A and B) to see what it does lifetime for you. My A trip is my lifetime mileage and avg mpg, I use B trip for specific trips I take and it gets reset.

And nothing seems off by the numbers you posted. I see similar to you.

I usually leave it on the 25 to see what the most recent is. I have trip A set for life time and then trip B I use for my oil change intervals.