MultiPro Tailgate Problem/Issue Discovered - Lack of Engineering...

rikhek

Discovered a problem yesterday hauling my dirt bike.  When you are using the MultiPro Tailgate "Step" as a cargo stop it doesn't work as it should.  With the "step" in the "up", cargo stop position as pictured below there is no mechanical stay/lock to keep the "step" in the raised position.  As soon as you hit the brakes the step folds down into the closed position rendering is useless as a cargo stop.  It will only stay up if you have cargo the exact dimensions to wedge up against it to keep it up.

After leaving my house the first stop sign I came to I heard a "thunk" and stopped to see what it was.  Low and behold, I found out it was the cargo stop falling into the closed position.  The design is comical at best.  In my case it's somewhat important.  One of the reasons I bought was the tailgate so I could load dirt bikes in straight as I'd now have a cargo stop.  Also wanted the stop to keep all our riding gear in the bed.  It's a pain in the ass loading dirt bikes at an angle so you can get containment by closing the tailgate.

I think I'll design/build a rod/support of some sort to just wedge in there to keep it in the raised position.

As an engineer myself I don't understand how the GM guys let this shit get into production with these issues.  I really wonder if they do any real world testing.  The fix wouldn't even cost them anything.  They could have just made it with a sliding hinge "lock/stay" to keep the hinge from closing and the cargo stop from falling down.  I might go this route instead of a "prop rod".  The GM guys come up with some really cool stuff but they don't always think it through.  In my company this is called incompetence.  A mediocre operability design review would have identified this issue if one had been done...

Image result for multipro tailgate cargo stop  Image result for multipro tailgate cargo stop

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, GMC-AT said:

Yes, and apparently when you drop the lower piece it will hit the trailer ball if installed. Gimmick junk in my option anyway.. glad I got the silverado. 

It's a personal preference but I disagree that it's a gimmick.  If you have one and use your truck like a truck it's a REALLY cool and useful feature.  You don't realise it until you've had the opportunity to use it in real life activities.  I think the overall design and operability is a fantastic improvement on the "old" traditional tailgate.

Also, if you think it's a gimmick and don't want it it's a no cost option to spec out the truck with a traditional gate.

Your comment is similar to the comments made back when they added electric start to vehicles instead of a hand crank.  Cranky old men would sit in their rockers on the porch and gripe wondering what they will do when this new fangled electric start thing leaves them stranded.  They'd say screw that, just sell me one with a hand crank and then yell at you to, "GET THE HELL OFF MY GRASS"!!!

Rick

P.S.  I've a number of friends who bought a GMC instead of a Chevy just to get the new tailgate and they don't regret it even after driving Chevy's their their entire life.

Edited by rikhek
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

I think the main motive of the design was to create a step for easy access. After testing, they found that it could be marketed for other uses as well.... such as a load stop. I am not disagreeing with you that they could've easily added a lock but I do not think it is a gimmick at all. I think it was a great idea as far as a step is concerned. First year of production... they will get it right.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Aycock1987 said:

I think the main motive of the design was to create a step for easy access. After testing, they found that it could be marketed for other uses as well.... such as a load stop. I am not disagreeing with you that they could've easily added a lock but I do not think it is a gimmick at all. I think it was a great idea as far as a step is concerned. First year of production... they will get it right.

This. They wanted another step to get into the tailgate without looking like they outright copied Ford. 

• Like 1

I hear you guys but it’s still unacceptable from a “professional” engineering perspective. ANY new design in any discipline should be subjected to a design and operability review. First year out with something mew even more so. It’s just the way any design standard/process should function. They dropped the ball, plain and simple. 

The GM legal department is going to look to get someone fired. Wait until the first lawsuit from someone behind a GM truck gets damaged/hurt from something falling out of the bed. The GMC owner will state it was marketed and sold as cargo containment, a faulty design was responsible for the damage, not the owner. It will happen...

• Like 1

On 2/15/2019 at 2:54 PM, rikhek said:

Wait until the first lawsuit from someone behind a GM truck gets damaged/hurt from something falling out of the bed.

This is part of the reason these trucks cost $65,000 ... defending such claims

BTW I agree it should have a lock for the retracted position.

Edited by Keta
  • Like 1

My post from another thread:

Automotive prices continue to Rise, while Quality Declines.

The simple fact of the matter is that vehicles are not truly tested enough before being released into production.

Or, assembly lines are relying more on robots to perform repetitive tasks. Robots are not good at quality control however.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I just bought a new 2019 GMC sierra with the new tailgate GM needs To add a fix to the tailgate problem to stop the tailgate from hitting the ball hitch when lowering the gate all the way.   I live in the area where most men drive trucks

most of the men  that I showed the problem to

said they would not buy a truck with the new tailgate like this due to the fact most of them keep their hitch on their truck full-time .

On 2/15/2019 at 2:54 PM, rikhek said:

I hear you guys but it’s still unacceptable from a “professional” engineering perspective. ANY new design in any discipline should be subjected to a design and operability review. First year out with something mew even more so. It’s just the way any design standard/process should function. They dropped the ball, plain and simple. 

The GM legal department is going to look to get someone fired. Wait until the first lawsuit from someone behind a GM truck gets damaged/hurt from something falling out of the bed. The GMC owner will state it was marketed and sold as cargo containment, a faulty design was responsible for the damage, not the owner. It will happen...

Since when has a first year design come out "Bug Free".  I happen to like the tailgate and use it almost every time I load-up the bed.

With the height of the sides, it makes things a lot easier. The first time I used the step I looked for the hinge to lock. When I realized I couldn't lock it, I thought it was odd. I totally agree.

I stopped leaving the hitch ball in after banging my shins a few times and having the pin lock seize-up on me.

BTW, I have the convertible twin of your vette.

Edited by FDHog

I just bought a new 2019 GMC sierra with the new tailgate GM needs To add a fix to the tailgate problem to stop the tailgate from hitting the ball hitch when lowering the gate all the way.   I live in the area where most men drive trucks
most of the men  that I showed the problem to
said they would not buy a truck with the new tailgate like this due to the fact most of them keep their hitch on their truck full-time .

Not to be an instigator, but what your saying is they don’t want to buy a truck because the tailgate but in reality they’re just lazy by not removing their hitch then complaining that it’s GM’s fault.

I don’t pull a trailer enough to justify leaving my hitch in the receiver but I understand the trade off. To get the cool tailgate I’ve got to do my due diligence and remove my hitch. I’m ok with that.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Another engineering fail, in my opinion, is that with the load stop up, the bed's about an inch too short to hold an 8' sheet of plywood (or any 8' lumber).  Come on man, couldn't gimme another inch?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1