MultiPro Tailgate Problem/Issue Discovered - Lack of Engineering...

rikhek

1 hour ago, smrr1 said:

Did a quick google and this was the first thing that popped up. Seen it in many places but the first i remember was myth busters way back in the day. There is a video in the link i provided too. 

https://removeandreplace.com/2015/07/28/does-a-pickup-truck-get-better-gas-mileage-with-the-tailgate-up-or-down/

D2886D52-E35C-464E-A4CC-696C6DAAA0D0.png

Awesome! Just saying myth busters is enough for me. Thanks for the mpg knowledge! 

17 hours ago, My First GMC said:

I looked mine over last night and noticed it to is stiff and upright after a stop. It will most likely loosen up. 

Granted this is on a 2500, but my tailgate is also quite stiff in that position. As you say, it may loosen up, but for now I don't see where this would happen. I wonder if the OP ever heard back from GM on this? 

The tailgate isn't a gimmick by any means.  I use it all the time and I use it in snowy areas.  The road treatments have not made a difference so far in its efficiency or quality.  As for the OP, it would be nice though I've not had a problem because when I've used it as I've not had enough room for it to fall forward at a stop.  I've loved the truck especially now they have the front camera fiasco fixed for me.

• 3 months later...

I thought it was pretty gimmicky, but then lo and behold, it's amazing. Yes, the cargo stop feature would have been better engineered with a stop feature, I agree. But overall, this thing is pretty cool, and for someone who is under 5'5", makes getting into the bed of my truck a lot easier. I had a Ford with the fancy step, but the GMS version is way more robust and feels safer than the skinny step Ford had.

I’ve used mine a number of times in the load stop position and haven’t had it fall down. It’s pretty stiff, so I wonder if GM changed some tolerances to resolve the issue. Guess I’ll have to wait and see if it stays this way in the future.

• 3 months later...
On 6/4/2020 at 10:12 PM, N55_6MT said:

I’ve used mine a number of times in the load stop position and haven’t had it fall down. It’s pretty stiff, so I wonder if GM changed some tolerances to resolve the issue. Guess I’ll have to wait and see if it stays this way in the future.

A few days ago I bought a '20 AT4 diesel.  August 2020 build.  Dealer put the boxed REV tonneau cover I purchased in the back and deployed the load stop.  The heavy box was just long enough to prevent the tailgate from closing.  When I got home I was shocked to see that the load stop had closed on it's own.  Tonneau box slid forward and load stop shut when braking I presume.  Luckily my $1,000 tonneau cover was still there.  Probably because I trying to see how good of mileage I could get.  I played with the load stop for a while to see if there was a locking mechanism.  Really surprised there isn't.  Makes it a worthless feature unless the cargo is long enough to keep it from closing shut.

Edited by hammick

Gimmicky or not im sure 95% of Denali/AT4 and SLT owners would rather have it then not. I like mine , if anything it makes getting in my truck easier . This is why the new bed Step close to the cab will also be a welcome . ( like on the current HD models)  Gm may be light years behind on interiors but they have made getting into the bed really easy . ( which is a real plus) I also like the Ram Barn doors and heck even the Ford tailgate step is a nice plus. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/15/2019 at 9:58 AM, rikhek said:

Discovered a problem yesterday hauling my dirt bike.  When you are using the MultiPro Tailgate "Step" as a cargo stop it doesn't work as it should.  With the "step" in the "up", cargo stop position as pictured below there is no mechanical stay/lock to keep the "step" in the raised position.  As soon as you hit the brakes the step folds down into the closed position rendering is useless as a cargo stop.  It will only stay up if you have cargo the exact dimensions to wedge up against it to keep it up.

After leaving my house the first stop sign I came to I heard a "thunk" and stopped to see what it was.  Low and behold, I found out it was the cargo stop falling into the closed position.  The design is comical at best.  In my case it's somewhat important.  One of the reasons I bought was the tailgate so I could load dirt bikes in straight as I'd now have a cargo stop.  Also wanted the stop to keep all our riding gear in the bed.  It's a pain in the ass loading dirt bikes at an angle so you can get containment by closing the tailgate.

I think I'll design/build a rod/support of some sort to just wedge in there to keep it in the raised position.

As an engineer myself I don't understand how the GM guys let this ****** get into production with these issues.  I really wonder if they do any real world testing.  The fix wouldn't even cost them anything.  They could have just made it with a sliding hinge "lock/stay" to keep the hinge from closing and the cargo stop from falling down.  I might go this route instead of a "prop rod".  The GM guys come up with some really cool stuff but they don't always think it through.  In my company this is called incompetence.  A mediocre operability design review would have identified this issue if one had been done...

Image result for multipro tailgate cargo stop  Image result for multipro tailgate cargo stop

I have run into issues with my 2020 Sierra 1500 and the tailgate pro not deploying out to the step function. I have attempted to add additional lubrication but I believe it could be a lack of weight or momentum issue. I am not an engineer. Just a plain old high school grad with a DD-0214.

• 6 months later...

I know this is an old thread but its been a constant problem for me.  I came up with a few fixes but they were all cheap and didn't work well.  I paid $60,000 when I ordered it new and just wanted a quality fix.

I finally found it at tailgatefix.com.  It's expensive, but so was the truck.

2 hours ago, athompson99 said:

I know this is an old thread but its been a constant problem for me.  I came up with a few fixes but they were all cheap and didn't work well.  I paid $60,000 when I ordered it new and just wanted a quality fix.

I finally found it at tailgatefix.com.  It's expensive, but so was the truck.

Yes, this is one solution, however, for me, it is not always needed.  If there was an option to lock it into place only when needed, that would be worth it.  I use my "step" a lot, as a step.  I would prefer to not to have to click that every time to release the step, only deploy it when I need to, to hold cargo.  So basically, invert the setup, push the button to release it, and lock the flap in place, rather than auto deploy.

On 4/6/2021 at 8:09 AM, SteveCZ said:

Yes, this is one solution, however, for me, it is not always needed.  If there was an option to lock it into place only when needed, that would be worth it.  I use my "step" a lot, as a step.  I would prefer to not to have to click that every time to release the step, only deploy it when I need to, to hold cargo.  So basically, invert the setup, push the button to release it, and lock the flap in place, rather than auto deploy.

That would be awesome. 9 times out of 10, I use the step as a step. The 10th time I use it as a pug stop for my dog. Not real great, but she gets the idea to stay in and not jump out. There might be a 11th time for cargo, and need it to lock up. I must carry the wrong cargo, cause everything fits in with tailgate closed or sticks out a foot or more with tailgate down.

I solved the problem a slightly different way.  I put a simple switch in the bed to shut off the MPTailgate top gate. I leave it off, and if I need to drop the MP gate, I flip it on.  Simple solution, which took about 15 mins to install.  Just need to identify the yellow wire in the harness under the back left corner of the truck and splice into/ cut.. I saw the video of the tailgate saver that uses a magnet switch on the hitch pin and thought.. I would rather have a switch than some magnetic sensor on my hitch pin.  I have $11 in this fix.  Works like a charm..

switch.jpg

On 2/15/2019 at 10:41 AM, rikhek said:

It's a personal preference but I disagree that it's a gimmick.  If you have one and use your truck like a truck it's a REALLY cool and useful feature.  You don't realise it until you've had the opportunity to use it in real life activities.  I think the overall design and operability is a fantastic improvement on the "old" traditional tailgate.

Also, if you think it's a gimmick and don't want it it's a no cost option to spec out the truck with a traditional gate.

Your comment is similar to the comments made back when they added electric start to vehicles instead of a hand crank.  Cranky old men would sit in their rockers on the porch and gripe wondering what they will do when this new fangled electric start thing leaves them stranded.  They'd say screw that, just sell me one with a hand crank and then yell at you to, "GET THE HELL OFF MY GRASS"!!!

Rick

P.S.  I've a number of friends who bought a GMC instead of a Chevy just to get the new tailgate and they don't regret it even after driving Chevy's their their entire life.

Sounds like you want to use the load stop as a fail safe, as in flying cargo would be stopped by it?  If you are allowing the cargo to fly into it, I can't imagine it will last even if it does latch up.