gearheadesw

Couple of quick questions...

I've got a couple of transmission filters and gaskets coming in the mail, and am planning to dump the pan a few times to change out most of the fluid. Anyone done this? About how much fluid is in the pan, filter remove and replace, 4 to 6 quarts?  2017,  6.0 engine, 6 speed trans. I'm planning on doing it twice per oil change for a couple of DIC indicated oil change times, so 4 times in 2 oil changes. No drain plug I'm assuming, so just remove the pan, clean surface, remove and replace filter and little round seal, reinstall gasket and pan, tighten in criss cross pattern firmly, not tight as hell. Anything I'm going to do wrong?

And speaking of the DIC, gas milage in particular, I have larger than stock tires, by %6. On previous trucks, six percent is six percent, so I would add the %6 into the milage and divide by gallons, getting a close milage figure. The DIC number is %6 off also?, meaning I can just add six percent to the advertised DIC milage number? So 13 mpg showing on the read out, would be at 13.7 ish?   .7 being approximately %6 of 13, right? I dunno.

Any help and laughter is appreciated.

Edited by gearheadesw

Not sure if the process for doing a pan drop has changed at all on these newer trucks. I would say this, it sucks to pay it but think about how much time that will take you to do that 4 times to get most of the fluid changed, and compare that to the $120 or whatever a dealer would charge which gets most of the fluid changed all at once.
I realize the numbers are probably imperfect, but when I worked at Grease Monkey years ago, they said a pan drop would change 70% of the fluid, where the power flush was 99% (and used 30qts of transmission fluid in most cases, so it seems believable). By those numbers, 4 pan drops pull just ahead of 1 fluid flush, but is it really worth the time and effort? Can't answer that for anyone else, but I just don't have time for that much wrenching these days. Oh, AND you have to deal with disposal of the old fluid, 4 times!!

• Like 1

I honestly don't trust the shops that do trans flushes around here, don't want them touching my truck.

• Like 1

A standard drain and fill with filter change is more than adequate. I changed mine at 40k and I tow a fifth wheel a lot. That fluid was very clean and very red. Unless you’re over 100k or have really heated that unit up on many occasions, I think it’s overkill. 

I cant recall how many quarts, but I’m thinking it was six. 

• Like 1

I think your mileage calc method is reasonable. But keep in mind the DIC reading is only an estimate. Most people say the DIC reading is off by up to 1 mpg from hand calc, I find that it is usually within .5 mpg for me.

You'd be more accurate to multiply your miles by 1.06 and then divide by gallons.

Why not just update your speedo for the new tire size? some handheld tuners will do it, or your dealer could do it for you?

• Like 1

Double flush is wasting your money. The new Dexron is a MUCH better fluid than 10 years ago.

First check your fluid color?

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses, just at 35K miles, and feel it's time to replace. I like running Amsoil, just me... but replacing both diffs, transfer case and transmission fluids, already running it in the engine, planning on like 4 pan drops over the next 2 oil changes, I feel I'll get enough of the old out and the new in after the 4th filter and go from there...

I tried to use a handheld, but it wanted me to update the unit itself online, and was only compatible with windows, I have a Mac. So I just use the %6 method, close but not perfect I know, but I certainly didn't buy this truck for it's MPG potential....

3 minutes ago, avalonandl said:

Double flush is wasting your money. The new Dexron is a MUCH better fluid than 10 years ago.

First check your fluid color?

This, is what I want to know, I'm way old school, even though I'm young, I'm old enough to have had to change oil at 3,000 miles, and trans every 40,000 miles. So that's always embedded in my mind, I've got things ready to go for the first pan drop, should I wait? Haven't checked the color of the trans fluid, just going but gut feel.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

GM's maintenance charts have a good window for service interval. 

I would mix the severe use and the normal schedule.  So 45,000mi for the trans from the severe service section.  Transfer case is 45,000mi for normal and 22,500mi for severe.  I think 30-40k for the transfer case would work. 

I would imagine that constant load driving (trailer, heavy stuff in the bed, lots of WOT or constant higher RPMs) would constitute as "severe". 

Nothing wrong with the double flush as it would constitute a higher amount of fresh fluid in the transmission.  A single drop will only shed approx. 6 quarts, and that's right about half of the system capacity of 12.4 quarts. 

Edited by newdude
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Just a suggestion on your trans service.

Buy this or something similar.

Currie Enterprises 95070 - Currie Weld-In Drain Plugs

Do your pan drop and filter.

Have this welded into your pan.

Then just drain and refill trans.

Did this on previous vehicles.

I use this now.

Easy, works well.

Suck fluid out through trans dip stick tube.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002AJR8E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

71d9gjROfML._SL1440_.jpg

:)

Edited by diyer2
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, gearheadesw said:

This, is what I want to know, I'm way old school, even though I'm young, I'm old enough to have had to change oil at 3,000 miles, and trans every 40,000 miles. So that's always embedded in my mind, I've got things ready to go for the first pan drop, should I wait? Haven't checked the color of the trans fluid, just going but gut feel.

I'm with you on old school. Old school (in my mind) uses the look and even smell of fluid much more than pure mileage based service. I also like to be on the safe side so I'm about to do a lot of my fluids based on mileage, because this is the nicest truck by far I've ever owned.
I like diyer2's input on making your fluid changes easier if you're going to do them yourself.

I also fully understand not trusting the 'grease monkey' type shops with your truck. I worked there, and I cared for the most part, but how much does a kid making $7/hour (in my case, back in the day) really care about other peoples stuff? I know the dealerships aren't much better, but at least they have some GM backing if something does go wrong. I'm probably going to have the dealer do the work on mine because I just don't have time to mess with it all, but I know that's not for everyone.
IMO The 4 pan drops is overkill for sure. Maybe 2, or 1 and then use diyer2's ideas to change the fluid one more time without dropping the pan. Bottom line though, it's your truck and up to you.

• Like 1

On 3/8/2019 at 10:40 AM, diyer2 said:

Just a suggestion on your trans service.

Buy this or something similar.

Currie Enterprises 95070 - Currie Weld-In Drain Plugs

Do your pan drop and filter.

Have this welded into your pan.

Then just drain and refill trans.

Did this on previous vehicles.

I use this now.

Easy, works well.

Suck fluid out through trans dip stick tube.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002AJR8E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

71d9gjROfML._SL1440_.jpg

:)

I was wondering if someone had added a plug to the factory pan.   

I actually figured there would be aftermarket pans with cooling fins and a slightly higher capacity (like there was for my old truck) but I don't see any specifically listed for what I have.   It doesn't sound like the transmissions have changed much over the last few years.

Thank you all for the replies, I think I'm wanting to do to many pan drops, I'll do 2, see how I feel about that. great information on my questions, thanks.

Two pan drops will work well.

I had the dealer do a fluid exchange on my 2002 at 10k miles as well as our 2016 Suburban with AMSOIL ATL. On my 2002 I didn’t drop the pan and change the filter until it had 77k miles on it. The pan was clean and the magnet had average fuzz on it and the fluid was still nice and pink.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I was surprised when the stealership mentioned changing trans fluid at 45,000 miles. I always have done around 60,000 miles.

I went ahead with it just because the 100k drivetrain warranty. I didn't "upgrade" fluid - just the GM stuff. It was probably not necessary, but I do tow and know I'm good for a while.

• Like 1