2.7 Turbo 4 Fan Club

1 hour ago, Jonathan Akers said:

What new fluid are you referring to? I have a 2021 2.7 with 26,000 miles. It shifts rough every once in a while. I am hoping we get the new transmission update that's coming with the 2022 refresh as well (supposed to have quicker downshifts and smoother shifts in general)

See screen shot.

8 speed got DEXRON HP-ATF  fluid but I am not sure when, in Silverado's. It was a PAO based synthetic in 2013 intro date.

In 2017 they changed to highly refined GRP III base oils, less performance in theory, but more robust than most other DEXRON formulas. 

Screen Shot 2022-01-07 at 08.49.22.png

Edited by customboss

I think I’m going to order a 2.7 come may or June in a single cab 2wd. It should get solid mpg and have some fun to it too. One thing is though, I’ll be pissed if they introduce the 10 speed combo next year. Maybe I should hold off one more year? 

Any long term owners here? How are you liking it ? 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, F-150stxguy said:

I think I’m going to order a 2.7 come may or June in a single cab 2wd. It should get solid mpg and have some fun to it too. One thing is though, I’ll be pissed if they introduce the 10 speed combo next year. Maybe I should hold off one more year? 

Any long term owners here? How are you liking it ? 

Some are saying GM messed up and under reported the TQ rating on the 2022 engines.  They are testing at 430 ft lbs vs advertised 420.   If you get one you will be amazed at the smooth power. My 2022 LTD is amazingly smooth but I am only at 2080 miles but I am a nit about tracking its performance. 

ANYONE here have a J22 engineering RPO code yet? Mine is J21 and I am thinking its NOT a higher Tq version. 

430 TQ?

25 minutes ago, customboss said:

Some are saying GM messed up and under reported the TQ rating on the 2022 engines.  They are testing at 430 ft lbs vs advertised 420.   If you get one you will be amazed at the smooth power. My 2022 LTD is amazingly smooth but I am only at 2080 miles but I am a nit about tracking its performance. 

ANYONE here have a J22 engineering RPO code yet? Mine is J21 and I am thinking its NOT a higher Tq version. 

430 TQ?

Yeah I was reading about that a little bit ago. Pretty impressive engine. I was impressed when it was first introduced, I was just waiting to hear what the beta testers have to say. There doesn’t seem to be a lot of issues popping up. I should be okay. 

Ford’s 2.7 is a documented 400,000 mile motor (at least) or taken care of. I only hope so for the l3b. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jonathan Akers said:

What new fluid are you referring to? I have a 2021 2.7 with 26,000 miles. It shifts rough every once in a while. I am hoping we get the new transmission update that's coming with the 2022 refresh as well (supposed to have quicker downshifts and smoother shifts in general)

The new fluid is the Mobil 1™ Synthetic LV ATF HP blue label.  Your truck would have come with this fluid already from factory yours being a 2021.  They made the switch to the new fluid around March of 2019 for Silverado/Sierra.

• Like 2

What I don't understand is GM specifically stated when they introduced the new 2019 model that the 8sp was a new updated design as well, but here we are in 22 and there are still issues with it.  Now the 10sp is a rock solid setup. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, SilveradoRST said:

The new fluid is the Mobil 1™ Synthetic LV ATF HP blue label.  Your truck would have come with this fluid already from factory yours being a 2021.  They made the switch to the new fluid around March of 2019 for Silverado/Sierra.

Just now, Black02Silverado said:

What I don't understand is GM specifically stated when they introduced the new 2019 model that the 8sp was a new updated design as well, but here we are in 22 and there are still issues with it.  Now the 10sp is a rock solid setup. 

Like RST said the new fluid from XOM is from 2019. I need to go look at my 2022 LTD owners manual ACTUAL GM  HP part #. Usually XOM uses lower  quality ATF hydraulic bases because they can.  

"The new Mobil 1 Synthetic LV ATF HP transmission fluid is now available through your local GM Oil Distributor.  The new Mobil 1 Synthetic LV ATF HP transmission fluid is available in quart bottles (GM Part Number 19417577) and in 55-gallon drums (GM Part Number 19417904) in most locations.  Both quarts and drums have the GM DEXRON HP license number J-62120."

15 minutes ago, Black02Silverado said:

Exactly. I really don’t understand the concept of them using the 10 speed on every other engine except this one. The only thing I can brainstorm is that the combination hasn’t been tested enough together? Ford did the same thing with their base 3.3 for a few years. It wasn’t until recently it was mated to the 10 speed. 

If I hear any rumors of the 10 speed coming next year I will for sure wait. 

• Like 1

Unless heavy pulling I can’t see the point with the ten speed. I imagine under light throttle most gears are skipped. Under heavy throttle I’ve seen 0-60 test showing a slowing down going from an 8 to 10 speed. From TM. I always been quite satisfied with the 6 speed. Unless there’s a situation where staying in the TQ range is a problem.

• Like 1

So the Dexron HP was initially designed as a PAO GRP IV based fluid in 2013.

Then when to GRP III in 2017. 

In 2019 GM contracted with XOM to use a GTL base that is GRP III+.  Probably a Shell GTL fluid.  See attached. 

I think I would replace with Amsoil or others that are GRP IV or above bases that is compatible with this fluid instead of using a lower quality but " approved " fluid.  

The marketing BS is irritating as crap for my chemistry mind!  

https://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/profile/4829-black02silverado/  what do you recommend from Amsoil as a replacement for those of us that want best performance?  

Screen Shot 2022-01-07 at 11.54.37.png

Edited by customboss
attachment update
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, customboss said:

430 TQ?

You are correct! GM Authority talked about this a few weeks ago 

Here is the articles

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2021/12/2022-gmc-sierra-turbo-2-7l-engines-torque-peak-could-be-even-higher/

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2021/12/2022-chevy-silverado-turbo-2-7l-engines-torque-peak-could-be-even-higher/

• Like 2

Can the L3b take advantage of higher octane? I know in my F150 I saw higher mpg, not substantial, but it was there. And I could absolutely tell the difference in how it operated on 91/93 compared to 87. 

I live on top of a 2000 ft hill and it’s a steep climb all the way to my driveway. Not so much worried about winter, but when it gets hot and humid out. Wonder if I would be better running 89 as opposed to 87? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, F-150stxguy said:

Can the L3b take advantage of higher octane? I know in my F150 I saw higher mpg, not substantial, but it was there. And I could absolutely tell the difference in how it operated on 91/93 compared to 87. 

I live on top of a 2000 ft hill and it’s a steep climb all the way to my driveway. Not so much worried about winter, but when it gets hot and humid out. Wonder if I would be better running 89 as opposed to 87? 

I don't think so because of the design and heat management being so good. I live at 9000' and operate down to about 7000' most of the time and run 85 regular. I might test that theory with 87 which is our midgrade here in mountains of CO. If so I will let you know.  I'm averaging ~20 mpg so far and run speed limits most of time with very strong winds that ruin mpg because the trail boss is barn door for aerodynamics at higher speeds.  

The Ecoboost design is great until it develops carbon deposits ( which is quick and never to be removed), then its a mess and octane can help with the deposits holding heat on valve and piston tops. 

I THINK from pics the L3B has some atomized charge hitting valves a bit and may assist in keeping DI carbon down. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, customboss said:

I don't think so because of the design and heat management being so good. I live at 9000' and operate down to about 7000' most of the time and run 85 regular. I might test that theory with 87 which is our midgrade here in mountains of CO. If so I will let you know.  I'm averaging ~20 mpg so far and run speed limits most of time with very strong winds that ruin mpg because the trail boss is barn door for aerodynamics at higher speeds.  

The Ecoboost design is great until it develops carbon deposits ( which is quick and never to be removed), then its a mess and octane can help with the deposits holding heat on valve and piston tops. 

I THINK from pics the L3B has some atomized charge hitting valves a bit and may assist in keeping DI carbon down. 

Please do. I would be very interested to see if you notice a difference. 

Hey, I’m not gonna complain if I can run 87 for the life of the motor without the worry of LSPI or pinging on 87 lol. It would save me a lot of money over the years with my long commutes to work. 

My home is in Appalachia. We don’t have mountains here, (I’ve never called them mountains), flat landers usually do, but we do have sudden steep, curvy, grades of hills that I haven’t really seen anywhere else in the country, including the Rockies or Ozarks. The valley is semi flat until you go up my hill to the house, then it’s just a sudden straight up climb with quite a few curves. That’s why I love boosted applications. Winter time can get sketchy, especially coming down. I get familiar with redline with naturally aspirated engines, especially with a load lol. 

Now you guys have real mountains. And some pretty Monstrous grades. I can see why you would love this engine. I’m nowhere near the elevation as you. 

• Thanks 1