2.7 Turbo 4 Fan Club

I raced a GM/Oldsmobile road racing Quad 4  GM factory built race car in 1998 and that was the beginning of this redneck seeing what straight 4's and 6's are capable of if built right and tuned perfectly. The 2.7L is so interesting to me and shows a lot of what we essentially tested from 80's to late 90's to make less cylinders do more. This engine was built around that turbo for sure.  

• Like 2

I have 51K Miles on my 2020 1500 LT Crew Cab 2.7L, 8 Speed Trans and I could not be happier with the truck. I have gotten as much as 30 mpg and more on the highway, typically I get 27 to 28 mpg and 22 to 24 mpg with mixed driving. I pulled a trailer with a Golf Cart from Dallas to Atlanta and averaged 20 MPG driving 70 + mph most of the time. I have had zero problems with this truck, I keep up with the maintenance accordingly, including the tramission flush at 45K. My son bought the Custom 2.7L and he does not get the same mpg that I do, he gets 22 to 24 mpg no matter how he drives it. He has 20" wheels, mine are 17". Also on my truck I have the options to choose Tow Mode, Sport Mode and Snow. Sport Mode keeps it fun. I'm seeing comments about how it sounds, I put a resonator on mine and when I get on it, it sounds fine. I'm also seeing comments about the spool up of the turbo, when I punch it, there is a nano second before it goes and not an issue for me. I was always 5.3 owner and if I needed to tow a heavy boat or trailer I would go back to the 5.3, but for now I am very happy with my 4 banger. The photo is from a video I sent my son taunting him about my gas mileage.

IMG_0813.PNG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, DRWTEXAS said:

I have 51K Miles on my 2020 1500 LT Crew Cab 2.7L, 8 Speed Trans and I could not be happier with the truck. I have gotten as much as 30 mpg and more on the highway, typically I get 27 to 28 mpg and 22 to 24 mpg with mixed driving. I pulled a trailer with a Golf Cart from Dallas to Atlanta and averaged 20 MPG driving 70 + mph most of the time. I have had zero problems with this truck, I keep up with the maintenance accordingly, including the tramission flush at 45K. My son bought the Custom 2.7L and he does not get the same mpg that I do, he gets 22 to 24 mpg no matter how he drives it. He has 20" wheels, mine are 17". Also on my truck I have the options to choose Tow Mode, Sport Mode and Snow. Sport Mode keeps it fun. I'm seeing comments about how it sounds, I put a resonator on mine and when I get on it, it sounds fine. I'm also seeing comments about the spool up of the turbo, when I punch it, there is a nano second before it goes and not an issue for me. I was always 5.3 owner and if I needed to tow a heavy boat or trailer I would go back to the 5.3, but for now I am very happy with my 4 banger. The photo is from a video I sent my son taunting him about my gas mileage.

IMG_0813.PNG

Any issue with the 8 speed?

Although i havent driven the 2.7 it is interesting to me , my question is if I ordered a ‘21 WT with the 2.7 would i get the “improved” engine or get the original 2.7 ? I was wanting to get a 4x4 and level with biggest tires i could get under it . Is there anyone with this combo and still getting decent MPG ?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, lwmajor said:

Although i havent driven the 2.7 it is interesting to me , my question is if I ordered a ‘21 WT with the 2.7 would i get the “improved” engine or get the original 2.7 ? I was wanting to get a 4x4 and level with biggest tires i could get under it . Is there anyone with this combo and still getting decent MPG ?

The higher output 2.7 is new to the 22 model. So you will still get the 310/348 rating which is still very stout. We started changing out our 4.3s in our farm for 2.7s this year to go along with our 5.3s. 

We load them , we tow with them , beat them up on our roads, and the 2.7 just keeps on kicking.  I honestly think the best thing GM did in last 5 years. Other GM has been pretty stagnant with their motors. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, kc classic said:

Your best mileage in the past 50 miles was 29.2, you averaged 20.8 in the last 50 miles.

So what's your point?

When I took the pic I was driving more aggressively and faster.  But on the way up north I was averaging 29.2

3 hours ago, Mike Borowski said:

So what's your point?

When I took the pic I was driving more aggressively and faster.  But on the way up north I was averaging 29.2

That's not how averages work. Your best was 29.2, your average can't also be 29.2. You average is far lower, and your worst must be quite low to get an average of 20.

I have averaged 23 to 25 in my hemi v8 and guys on this forum are doing better than that even with the 5.3. So that screenshot there is very unimpressive. Not saying you can't do far better with the turbo than you can in a v8, but that screenshot you posted is not showing you what you think it is, that's all we're saying. In fact its showing you that you got pretty miserable mileage all things considered.

Edited by the wanderer