2.7 Turbo 4 Fan Club

On 7/28/2021 at 6:35 AM, Jonathan Akers said:

I will say I wish I drove an Ecoboost before pulling the trigger on the Silverado, but I was just worried about reliability (Found On Road Dead). How do the F150 2.7 and 3.5 compare to the GM 2.7? Can't really find much on youtube about how they drive.

At least here in Southern California Ford charges $995 for the 2.7L and $2,595 for the 3.5L Whereas Chevy gives you $2,000 back for choosing the 2.7L In that regard I don't think it's fair to compare the 3 engines. Both EcoBoosts are solid choices and the 3.5L is a beast of an engine. However, it really boils down to each person's needs. The 2.7L engine fits my needs really well and I can't say I miss the 3.5L. If I'm not mistaken you probably have the most miles on a 2.7L of anyone here and you drive in much tougher conditions than me. If you can manage with a 2.7L I think most city slickers should be fine.

On 7/23/2021 at 2:10 PM, Bill Reinhardt said:

Got a few questions for those with the 2.7L, hopefully you guys can help me out.

I'm interested in the 2021 Elevation models. Having a hard time deciding between the 5.3 and the 2.7 for my use. For how I use a truck, payload is key. It will be my primary means of transport as well (75% city/25% highway). With that said, it seems like the 2.7L is right up my alley as the payload is north of 1800 lbs and gets the best city mileage of the lineup.

However, it seems like there are comments of turbo or transmission lag when passing on the highway. Wondering if these comments are justified? From some of the video reviews I've seen, the reviewer will give it some juice to represent a pass, the engine will rev up, then the reviewer will count 1 or 2 seconds until the truck actually spools/shifts, then finally accelerates. Does not appear to have that issue from a stop. If anyone could share their experience, that'd be appreciated.

If the lag is real, it would probably annoy the hell out of me. I also have to ask if the issue goes away with the 5.3L, or if it's an 8-speed problem (or both). My local dealerships are getting a few more trucks in over the coming weeks that I can go and drive to find out for myself, but just wondering what the tribal knowledge is on this topic before hand.

How fast do you plan on driving and do you deal with a lot of hills? In the City the 2.7L has more than ample torque to cruise around and minimal turbo lag. On the highway I can easily hit 85mph with 4 passengers total and about 400 lbs of cargo in the bed, but that's on flat stretches. On steep hills I think the 5.3L will probably do better, but flip side is I believe you also take a hit on payload.

6 hours ago, 2.7fanboy said:

How fast do you plan on driving and do you deal with a lot of hills? In the City the 2.7L has more than ample torque to cruise around and minimal turbo lag. On the highway I can easily hit 85mph with 4 passengers total and about 400 lbs of cargo in the bed, but that's on flat stretches. On steep hills I think the 5.3L will probably do better, but flip side is I believe you also take a hit on payload.

Can't drive too fast where I live, it's also pretty flat. Seems like the 2.7L is a good fit, now do I wait for the 2022 refresh?

3 hours ago, Bill Reinhardt said:

Can't drive too fast where I live, it's also pretty flat. Seems like the 2.7L is a good fit, now do I wait for the 2022 refresh?

If you find one now that you like and can get a decent deal I would. This chip shortage might go through 2022 and who knows what kind of deals there will be then. 

• 4 weeks later...

Just picked up my 2021 Silverado RST on 8/25 with the 2.7L. I wanted to thank everyone that contributed to this thread. I was initially dismissing a 4cyl in a full size truck but pulled the trigger after seeing the positive comments here. I wouldn't have even gone to look at the truck if I hadn't seen this thread. I realized that for what I want the truck for, I don't need 12,000lb towing capacity but 9,000 is plenty. I doubt I would ever tow more than about 5,000lbs anyway. Maybe a small travel trailer when I retire to wander the country in style.

I drove the truck home about 55 miles and was impressed with the ride and the power of the engine. I have only had the truck 2 days but so far I'm very happy with my purchase. I left Chevrolet for a bit but am happy to be back in the bowtie family! 

I've ordered running boards and an organizer tray for the console. Still trying to decide what else to get...

Thank you again!

Laura

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Cougfan said:

Just picked up my 2021 Silverado RST on 8/25 with the 2.7L. I wanted to thank everyone that contributed to this thread. I was initially dismissing a 4cyl in a full size truck but pulled the trigger after seeing the positive comments here. I wouldn't have even gone to look at the truck if I hadn't seen this thread. I realized that for what I want the truck for, I don't need 12,000lb towing capacity but 9,000 is plenty. I doubt I would ever tow more than about 5,000lbs anyway. Maybe a small travel trailer when I retire to wander the country in style.

I drove the truck home about 55 miles and was impressed with the ride and the power of the engine. I have only had the truck 2 days but so far I'm very happy with my purchase. I left Chevrolet for a bit but am happy to be back in the bowtie family! 

I've ordered running boards and an organizer tray for the console. Still trying to decide what else to get...

Thank you again!

Laura

Glad to hear someone say they dismissed the 2.7 then drove it and changed their mind!  They are hard to come by right now due to manufacturing but when you can, replace the rear shocks with Bilsteins. It makes a huge difference in ride. That combined with the light engine, my RST handles pretty darn good for a truck!

• Like 1

I’ve had my 2020 Silverado with the 2.7T now for almost 2 years and I love it. 
Just got back from a 3100 mile trip from North Texas to Montana via South Dakota and the Black Hills. 
Four adults with 500 pounds of luggage and crap. 
My son and I did the driving. The truck performed flawlessly. Mileage was awesome. I didn’t put the pencil to it but when we filled it up it gave us a 600 mile range. 
We drove about 4 over the speed limit sometimes doing 85 just staying with the traffic.

My son owns a 2019 Silverado with a 5.3 and was really impressed with the 2.7. He said there was no way the 5.3 would get the mileage that the 2.7 does and the power was just as good. 
I’m very happy with my little 4 banger!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from a 500 mile trip to pick up some deck boards from my sister in Medford, OR. I loaded up as many of the boards that would fit in the bed and headed back north up I-5. I had 4 small mountains to go over with mostly 6% grades, and the truck just drove up those hills, with all that weight in the back, like it was nothing. Really impressed with the power the engine has. The truck was very comfortable on the drive and even my pup (that hates to ride in the car) didn't seem to be as stressed out in this truck. I got about 23mpg on the way down and 20mpg on the way home. I know I'll get better mpg as the engine gets a few more miles on it. The only problem I had was my iPod would only play about 10 songs and then stop. I had to keep unplugging it and plugging it back in. 

I know there are people out there that say they will never get the 4cyl in a truck, but if they would just drive it, they might be surprised. Just like I was.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cougfan said:

No, she's a little Min Pin/Chihuahua mix. I'm a Washington State University Cougars fan. I would NEVER have a Husky 🤣 

Cougfan gave it away, and you are correct, you can not have just one, you need 4:  GO DAWGS!!!

IMG_0585.jpg.df46f37d3e7d518718f00ec6d46f4c36.jpg

Edited by JimCost2014
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, JimCost2014 said:

Cougfan gave it away, and you are correct, you can not have just one, you need 4:  GO DAWGS!!!

IMG_0585.jpg.df46f37d3e7d518718f00ec6d46f4c36.jpg

Oh gosh those dogs are all beautiful!! I can only have one where I live and it has to be less than 30lbs so couldn't have 1 the size of yours. Maybe both our teams will have better luck next week. I have family members that have gone to both schools but my heart is in Pullman...GO COUGS!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Cougfan said:

Oh gosh those dogs are all beautiful!! I can only have one where I live and it has to be less than 30lbs so couldn't have 1 the size of yours. Maybe both our teams will have better luck next week. I have family members that have gone to both schools but my heart is in Pullman...GO COUGS!

I hope so, no offense to Montana, but that was one of the most embarrassing loses I can remember. 

The "Dawgs" thank you for the compliment👍

And congratulations on your truck, great to hear you like it!!!

Glad to hear someone say they dismissed the 2.7 then drove it and changed their mind!  They are hard to come by right now due to manufacturing but when you can, replace the rear shocks with Bilsteins. It makes a huge difference in ride. That combined with the light engine, my RST handles pretty darn good for a truck!

:wtf: I keep seeing this Bilstein koolaid. I have made the switch (after my stockers wore out nearly 70k later and miles of back country driving), the difference is slight and I can only imagine that much less so when only doing one end. I bet 9 out of 10 people if given the chance to ride back to back with only a rear shock change on stockers that are low miles at that would not be able to tell a difference. Even replacing all four when worn out the difference wasn't huge...

Tyler

• Like 1

Just got back from a 500 mile trip to pick up some deck boards from my sister in Medford, OR. I loaded up as many of the boards that would fit in the bed and headed back north up I-5. I had 4 small mountains to go over with mostly 6% grades, and the truck just drove up those hills, with all that weight in the back, like it was nothing. Really impressed with the power the engine has. The truck was very comfortable on the drive and even my pup (that hates to ride in the car) didn't seem to be as stressed out in this truck. I got about 23mpg on the way down and 20mpg on the way home. I know I'll get better mpg as the engine gets a few more miles on it. The only problem I had was my iPod would only play about 10 songs and then stop. I had to keep unplugging it and plugging it back in. 

I know there are people out there that say they will never get the 4cyl in a truck, but if they would just drive it, they might be surprised. Just like I was.

Might want to change your signature, it isn't a twin turbo but rather a single turbo 2.7L motor. 

I am stocked for this motor when it arrives in the midsize trucks. My buddy just got one as a company truck and with the market he decided to sell his 2500 Ram and keep this since they offered him more than he paid for it nearly 2 years ago. This four cylinder was plenty powerful for his hauling and towing needs (he has 5 acres and raises donkeys, it was plenty of truck). I can only imagine how it will do in a 1k lighter truck (please keep the CCLB in the next gen Colorado/Canyon and up the towing and payload a little). 

I will say my other buddy just picked up a 3.0 d-max and that he says is impressive and it sure is quiet. I need to go for a drive in both those trucks next time I see them. 

Tyler