2.7 Turbo 4 Fan Club

On 10/19/2020 at 7:30 PM, heymrdjCW said:

Yep, having now test drove a 2020 with a 5.3, a 6.2, a 2.7, and the 3.0, the 2.7 is the fun to drive. If I were to buy another Denali, I’d get a 6.2. But GMC just isn’t doing it for me value wise. I think if it’s another splurge pickup I’d do a Ford or RAM first. I wouldn’t get another 5.3. Didn’t see the 2020 as much better than my2017 5.3, it’s a high strung V8 that makes a lot of noise before it makes power. Since we’re thinking of getting an SQ5 for the family hauler to replace the 2019 Terrain Denali in another year or two, and I like the cut of the GMC models, I’ll probably get a mid range 2.7 model to enjoy that low end torque that I’ve come to expect due to my other turbo vehicles and my brother’s Model 3 Performance that I frequent. 3.0 is a little tempting just for the novelty of it. I am looking to see if the Colorado gets the 2.7 as rumored.

Agreed, After driving Sierras and Siverados with the 2.7s, 3.0Ds, 5.3sand 6.2s, I needed up with the 6.2 AT4, the 2.7 seemed to be trying to hard, 3.0 was great, but a first year engine, 5.3 throttle response was lacking, but the 6.2 was my first vehicle to bring back the warm and fuzzies I got from my first car, 1975 Dodge Charger with a 360, that sound, that power, and on a recent 2000 mile trip, i had 400 stretch avg. 19.6 mpg, keep in mind that 15.9 overall was 50 to 75 photo stops, hours of creeping along mountain ridge trails in Colorado and lots of idling.

Only regret is possibly the 3.0 Diesel, give it a couple years on the market and i may go that direction.

IMG_2101.jpeg

• Like 2

On 10/20/2020 at 5:50 PM, 2019_Summit said:

Saturday traveling around 50 MPH the speedometer dropped to 0, winded back up to speed travelling and the engine revved high, switched to N , then Drive and no other issues.  Monday I was cruising at 80MPH on interstate, engine revvs high and I loose acceleration check engine light engages.  Switch to neutral, engine revvs down.  Switch to Drive, didn't feel it go into gear, "D" starts to flash, press accelerator, no response and the engine doesn't rev.  Coasted to the nearest exit and parked.  Shifted to drive and nothing.  Turned off/started.  Shifted to Drive, felt transmission engage.   Eased off and it only went into the first few gears (8 speed prob 3rd) whining at 30MPH.  Turned off/started again and check engine light stayed on with no issues driving.  Took it to dealer and they were unable to get a reading from it.  There were no loaners available (yesterday) so I dropped it off this morning (check engine light off, ran normal).  Waiting on call back...

2019 Crew Cab 2.7 2WD 8 Speed trans

Any updates?

7 hours ago, sharkman said:

Any updates?

Yes,  Two days in the service department.  Diagnosis: Circuit testing unable to find root cause.  Per UCODE advisory replaced speed sensor , performed reprogram. 

Bottom line they have no idea.  Apparently there are issues known issues with the 8-speed transmission.    

No issues since I received it from the service department other than the random forward thrust when engaging from Park to Drive. 

On 10/23/2020 at 7:14 AM, mdreynolds said:

but the 6.2 was my first vehicle to bring back the warm and fuzzies I got from my first car, 1975 Dodge Charger with a 360, that sound, that power

So the new 6.2 reminded you of the sound and power of a 1975 Dodge Charger 360? That car had a whopping 190 hp and a very unregulated exhaust with some good sound where as the truck is a complete opposite, it is actually kinda quick but very quiet in return all around; not sure how those two remind you of them both...

On 10/17/2020 at 7:30 AM, shanic18 said:

best sound in the world.

2020 Silverado 2.7 turbo BOV Adapter

Best sound in the world, what are you 8? That would be the absolute first thing to get rid of, it adds no performance benefit and the second worst sound in the world next to the two guys in dumb and dumber, in other words beyond annoying. Listen to a nicely set up V8 with long tubes, high flow cats and a nice muffler or a flat plane V8, that sounds good, this sounds like something I would use to make a grade schooler smile for a picture real quick. 

Tyler

• Like 1

Best sound in the world, what are you 8? That would be the absolute first thing to get rid of, it adds no performance benefit and the second worst sound in the world next to the two guys in dumb and dumber, in other words beyond annoying. Listen to a nicely set up V8 with long tubes, high flow cats and a nice muffler or a flat plane V8, that sounds good, this sounds like something I would use to make a grade schooler smile for a picture real quick. 

Tyler

Sounds are subjective. While I’m not fond of the BOV myself, to my ears, every modern V8 is a ricer. If you turn over 2,500RPM to make peak torque, your V8 is a ricer. The old SD401’s made 360lb ft under 2500 with the right set up. 534’s could make 500 under 1800 RPM. Those were V8’s. Not this 3,000 RPM garbage just to get to interstate speed.

I always get a kick out of people’s opinions on exhaust sounds. I put loud exhaust on everything from 4-6-8-10s. Even diesels. My 6 Cummings had split exhaust with megaphones. Sounded like a big diesel truck. Put 3 inch duals on my V-10 with megaphones. I don’t care for loud exhaust anymore. In my younger days I loved them all. My wife’s Acura spinning 8K sounds like a Indy car. What’s not to like?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/26/2020 at 5:12 PM, amxguy1970 said:

So the new 6.2 reminded you of the sound and power of a 1975 Dodge Charger 360? That car had a whopping 190 hp and a very unregulated exhaust with some good sound where as the truck is a complete opposite, it is actually kinda quick but very quiet in return all around; not sure how those two remind you of them both...

Tyler

There's a intake sound/growl that larger displacement makes, especially back when you could turn the air filter lid upside down to hear the engine sing, my past 4.8 and 5.3 trucks didn't have it, but if you grew up around big ole engines you would know about it, now its time to get a CAI to get the full effect (Like turning the lid upside down), but you may not be old enough to remember that.

There's a intake sound/growl that larger displacement makes, especially back when you could turn the air filter lid upside down to hear the engine sing, my past 4.8 and 5.3 trucks didn't have it, but if you grew up around big ole engines you would know about it, now its time to get a CAI to get the full effect (Like turning the lid upside down), but you may not be old enough to remember that.

I use to drill holes in my air boxes to get the old flipped air cleaner effect. I would have rubber plugs to plug the holes. Some of the K&N cold airs would sing pretty good. Usually my exhaust was competing with the intake though for sound.[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys and gals,

I am the proud owner of a Silverado 2020 custom 4x4 with a crew cab and 6.5 feet box. I am a foreman/forest technician for a tree planting company and logging trees in the winter(foreman) in northern Canada. I use the truck for my personal use and for work. The truck has a little over 28k km on it and about 19-20k of it has been on gravel roads, a lot of it on badly maintained or unmaintained road. So far I love the truck and the engine, powerful smooth quite economical driving at very low speed on old logging roads. I've towed trailers without any problems on bad roads, thru mud pits, up steep rocky hill, nothing I threw at it phased it. In short I love that engine.

My girlfriend has a Sierra Elevation with a 5.3l engine and going from one to the other doesn't change much from one truck to the other aside from the engine noise and the fact that the 2.7l has more grunt down low. You'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between both engines in normal or spirited driving.

The only things that could be improved are that dreaded 8 spd transmission, when driving normally it work ok but when you step on it, its slow to react and dim witted. The other thing I discovered latter in the season when we had lots of rain is the rear brake get full of dirt and wear prematurely. On that point my personal opinion is the placement of the rear brake which is behind the disk brake. I discover that a lot of dirt gets into every holes around the brake caliper and provoke a premature wear of the brake pads. I think that GM knows about it because they replaced the rear brake pads for free after only 25k km. I'll see how it goes next summer.

To finish here is a couple pics of my pride and joy.

20200718_160600_HDR[1].jpg

20201005_112115_HDR[1].jpg

Edited by Custom2020T2.7l
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

So 2 weeks ago my check engine light comes on. When shutting the truck off I can hear the cooling screaming as they are slowing down. I pulled the codes and it mentioned something about the shutters behind the grill. Take it in the dealer today and they have to order the parts to fix it.

Apparently this is something common with the Sierra.

Anybody else have issues with this. 2019 2.7 Sierra.

On 10/26/2020 at 6:35 PM, heymrdjCW said:

Sounds are subjective. While I’m not fond of the BOV myself, to my ears, every modern V8 is a ricer. If you turn over 2,500RPM to make peak torque, your V8 is a ricer. The old SD401’s made 360lb ft under 2500 with the right set up. 534’s could make 500 under 1800 RPM. Those were V8’s. Not this 3,000 RPM garbage just to get to interstate speed.

A "ricer" refers to a 4 banger with an aftermarket exhaust that sounds like it's farting in a tin can, combined with lots of turbo noise and blitzy graphics on the side. (It's actually a derogatory term and I apologize for using it, since it has roots in the young Asian community and their turbo'ed honda's and nissans, the "ricer" is a reference to them eating lots of rice.)

It has nothing to do with rpms in order to make torque. A v8 with stock exhaust sounds awesome, nothing like a ricer. It's the exact opposite of a ricer, v8's make power through displacement, not turbos.

I have nothing against the 2.7, in fact I'm very interested in it. However, I want it to be quiet and refined, that is the difference. I don't want it to remind me of the stupid little honda's riding 1 inch off the ground.

Also I have no idea why you need to rev to 3000 rpms to get up to speed, because my truck lives between 1000 and 2000 rpms, literally. If it revs over 2200 rpms I'm having a really bad month or I'm pulling my trailer.

Edited by the wanderer
  • Like 1

A "ricer" refers to a 4 banger with an aftermarket exhaust that sounds like it's farting in a tin can, combined with lots of turbo noise and blitzy graphics on the side. (It's actually a derogatory term and I apologize for using it, since it has roots in the young Asian community and their turbo'ed honda's and nissans, the "ricer" is a reference to them eating lots of rice.)

It has nothing to do with rpms in order to make torque. A v8 with stock exhaust sounds awesome, nothing like a ricer. It's the exact opposite of a ricer, v8's make power through displacement, not turbos.

I have nothing against the 2.7, in fact I'm very interested in it. However, I want it to be quiet and refined, that is the difference. I don't want it to remind me of the stupid little honda's riding 1 inch off the ground.

Also I have no idea why you need to rev to 3000 rpms to get up to speed, because my truck lives between 1000 and 2000 rpms, literally. If it revs over 2200 rpms I'm having a really bad month or I'm pulling my trailer.

I agree, it is a derogatory term.

However, I meant the sound it conveys. Your definition aside, a 6000RPM 5.3L on an on-ramp doesn’t sound throaty or powerful, it doesn’t sound like a Ford 534 or a Vortec 8100. It sounds strung out and winded.