In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

2.7 Turbo 4 Fan Club

I realize I'm wasting my breath but for the silent thread watchers these charts show why my 2 7T truck tractors up Steven's pass.

The 4.3 V6 is the bottom curve but it's the same for most NA powerplants that make max torque up at high rpms. The 2.7T is at max torque at 1500 rpm.  As I am not accelerating or dragging a 6k pound trailer my truck never shifts as the grade increases it just adds fuels to produce more torque at the same rpm.

Turbo engines can be setup for torque or top end hit.  As MDSilverado has said multiple times GM went for torque.  The engine runs out of breath well before the rev limiter but it doesnt matter because it doesnt need to turn 4k to make enough torque to maintain 70mph up a grade and that's why its awesome.  I think the differences are magnified at partial throttle settings where we all operate 99% of the time.

The concept is probably foreign if you haven't driven a small diesel or other forced induction engine tuned for torque which is why there are so many doubters and haters.  But Im tired of people coming to our thread asking for explanations and then telling us we dont know what we're talking about.

Drive the truck and decide for yourself.  I think most will love it.

This is my 3rd turbo vehicle and I'll never go back.
Example.JPG.thumb.jpg.2b274cd75aa3a5a75a86267564de0774.jpg

According to your analysis of not needing to down shift. For people not towing it’s a waste having anything but a 3-4 speed transmission. Think of the cost savings. When driving my diesels they all were tuned. I didn’t down shift on some hills to maintain speed with a stick. There would be lugging noticed and increase smoke and more fuel used. The same model with automatic would drop a gear no smoke or lugging and use less fuel. Maybe the 2.7 automatic doesn’t downshift on an incline. It would be the first gas or diesel turbo or not I personally ever driven. I’ll try one first chance I get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

New member here. Going to work on completing my profile over the next few days; curious though if anyone is aware of tuning yet for the 2.7? I have no complaints out of mine as it is a peppy little more and gas mileage is great as well. Currently pushing 8k miles without an issue. 

On 1/25/2020 at 1:36 PM, TurboRado19 said:

New member here. Going to work on completing my profile over the next few days; curious though if anyone is aware of tuning yet for the 2.7? I have no complaints out of mine as it is a peppy little more and gas mileage is great as well. Currently pushing 8k miles without an issue. 

Nothing yet.  I'm watching this thread which may be of interest to you.

Has anyone changed their own oil yet in their 2.7?

I read somewhere that the drain plug is 3/8" square and I was wondering if that's correct.

I know it takes 6 quarts of 5W30 synthetic Dexos and the correct filter number.

Just wondering.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/30/2020 at 3:56 AM, Grandpa1 said:

Has anyone changed their own oil yet in their 2.7?

I read somewhere that the drain plug is 3/8" square and I was wondering if that's correct.

I know it takes 6 quarts of 5W30 synthetic Dexos and the correct filter number.

Just wondering.

Thanks!

yes the drain plug is 3/8 just recently changed my oil 

• 2 weeks later...

I traded off my 2017 LTZ two days ago on a 2020 RST with the 2.7 and so far I love it. I'm averaging about 20.5 or so through 200 miles. 70/30 hwy/city miles. 

The torque is fantastic, It honestly feels quite a bit more responsive and zippy than my previous 5.3. That had the 8 speed and I noticed all of the shit people complained about, hard shifts, etc. It was never a big deal to me but it Doesn't seem to happen as much in the 2.7 albeit in a smaller sample size. 

I tow a boat about 10 times a year, and that's the extent of it. Honestly anything over 7000lbs always gave me pause anyway in a half ton so I don't anticipate it being an issue. Frankly I tested the payload rating FAR more in my old trucks hauling wood and cement etc than I ever did the towing capacity that's actually a selling point for me on the 2.7l. 

Someone posted earlier about how it just drives really nice and just kind of floats from point A to point B. Couldn't agree more so far. 

• Like 4

I did my first towing yesterday. Had around 800 lbs on my 6x10 single axle trailer. 40 mile round trip in southern Pennsylvania. Could not believe how much power and torque this 2.7 turbo has. Absolutely no effort at all. RPMs never exceeded 2k except for grade braking going down one steep grade. MPG only went down to 17.5 from 22 for this trip. This thing is perfect for me and most non commercial truck owners who will tow less than 7000 lbs. 

• Like 2

• txab pinned this topic