2.7 Turbo 4 Fan Club

• 1 month later...

I got a letter from GM about engine harness chaffing.  Seems like a recall level event as it shows up with the seatbelt and brake module reprogram as a required service in the my chev app.

Thought the thread followers might be interested.

On 1/2/2020 at 12:29 PM, zzrsouth said:

I got a letter from GM about engine harness chaffing.  Seems like a recall level event as it shows up with the seatbelt and brake module reprogram as a required service in the my chev app.

Thought the thread followers might be interested.

You can probably thank me being ground zero and having to sue GM for this. Yay for being an early adopter. 

Get it in and get it fixed quickly, if that harness rubs through it will leave you for dead - either by not starting or it will leave you in the middle of the road With no warning. 

Edited by MDSilveradoGuy
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Peter Gill said:

This is the best 4 cyl turbo Silverado forum I’ve found.  Can anyone who own a turbo Silverado give a long term review of it. Any major issues and after an extended time how is the mpg on it? Same as the 5.3? 

Aside from the harness issues early on, the engine itself has been flawless. The trans is awful, and the rest of the truck is a huge disappointment in terms of reliability and quality. My A/C compressor is making a racket at the moment and the steering alternates between honking like a goose and binding up and making loud banging noises under the dash that GM can’t figure out. 

I have 19k miles on mine since April, about 5k of which were put on while towing my boat. Average mpg for me has slipped a bit to 23.8, but I’ve spent a lot of time in the mountains lately. 

Edited by MDSilveradoGuy

New to the 2.7. Traded my 2014 Silverado 1500 in on a 2020 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab.

Wasn't sure about going from the 5.3 to the 2.7T but after a test drive I saw right away it had plenty of get up and go.

I like it.

Already put on my Lo Pro cover, nerf bars and had the windows tinted with an eyebrow put on the windshield.

I even hard wired my radar detector in. I don't speed anymore but I like a detector. Now I'm going to figure out how to rewire the Home Link garage door opener to where it operates with the rap instead of being hot all the time.

I don't have many miles on it yet but I did take a 90 mile short trip and noticed a head wind does knock down the mileage.

I'm old so I don't pull a trailer much anymore and decided the 2.7T would work fine.

As I said, I like it just fine!

16 hours ago, MDSilveradoGuy said:

You can probably thank me being ground zero and having to sue GM for this. Yay for being an early adopter. 

Get it in and get it fixed quickly, if that harness rubs through it will leave you for dead - either by not starting or it will leave you in the middle of the road With no warning. 

I will and I do.  I haven't had any trouble but Im pretty sure I dont work mine as hard as you other guys.  Now if I can just get my Onstar connection issue fixed.  Those Onstar people are thick.

On 1/3/2020 at 2:23 PM, Peter Gill said:

This is the best 4 cyl turbo Silverado forum I’ve found.  Can anyone who own a turbo Silverado give a long term review of it. Any major issues and after an extended time how is the mpg on it? Same as the 5.3? 

City fuel economy is better, hwy is worse above 60.  Otherwise the truck is hugely capable.  Drive both.  I test drove 2 5.3's and preferred the 2.7T.

High speed damping and chassis flex are main things I think GM could improve but I'm not a truck guy so might have unrealistic expectations there

Has anyone noticed the oil pressure of the 2.7T?

It's only 30 psi.

Looks funny when you scan your gauges and the oil pressure is way to the left.

Scared me at first. I pulled over and checked the oil level.

When I got home I did some online research and from what I understand 30 psi is all that is needed.

They need to re design the gauge to where the needle is straight up like the rest of them.

I really like this truck!

On 1/6/2020 at 6:38 PM, Kip Manwarren said:

Anyone feel a problem with shifting on the 2019 2.7 Silverado?  Feels like it lugs down a lot?? Any one have this?

Yeah I have a short steep hill on my daily commute where this happens if I'm going slow and keep the throttle position steady.

Sometimes I ride the vibes.  Otherwise a little more entry speed or more throttle alleviates it.

my buddy has 2.7 4 cyl in his 2018 530i and that thing hauls ass, granted much lighter car

if your a soccer mom, or just daily drive your trucks and don't need torque, or towing why not.....I had to pay $1400 to get 5.3 in my RST....2.7 is stock motor which is really odd....I don't mind the small motor but I shouldn't have to upgrade to motor that should already be in there

1 minute ago, Dunn said:

my buddy has 2.7 4 cyl in his 2018 530i and that thing hauls ass, granted much lighter car

if your a soccer mom, or just daily drive your trucks and don't need torque, or towing why not.....I had to pay $1400 to get 5.3 in my RST....2.7 is stock motor which is really odd....I don't mind the small motor but I shouldn't have to upgrade to motor that should already be in there

95% of the time spent in whatever truck I buy, will be commuting. 60/40 highway/city. 22 miles one way. 5% of the time I’ll be pulling a camper that weighs just under 4000lb loaded. Considering the previous, purchase price is one of the biggest factors going into my decision. My only concerns are; how relatively new this engine is and how many problems the 8 speed has had over the years. I plan on driving this truck for at least 10 years. 

I go back and forth daily between ordering a custom trail boss with the 6.2/10spd and finding an rst with the 2.7. If the 2.7 came with the 10 spd I wouldn’t be nearly as reluctant. 

• Like 1