2.7 Turbo 4 Fan Club

Just now, Mike Borowski said:

****** & Giggles = S&G. 

So I started the truck and unplugged the cable to the MAF, the truck still ran. I shut the truck off and plugged it back in, now I have a CEL. It shouldn’t run unplugged should it?

If you have a scanner reset it via that method. If not use the battery disconnect and reset and see if it comes back on. 

It sure will set a MIL code if it doesn't detect MAF sensing. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, customboss said:

If you have a scanner reset it via that method. If not use the battery disconnect and reset and see if it comes back on. 

It sure will set a MIL code if it doesn't detect MAF sensing. 

Thanks! Would the truck run with it disconnected though?  Maybe the truck isn’t even seeing it period. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mike Borowski said:

Thanks! Would the truck run with it disconnected though?  Maybe the truck isn’t even seeing it period. 

Probably but in limp mode but most likely cough and spit and stall when you throttle it. There are more up to date experts here on the modern ECM controlled systems. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike Borowski said:

****** & Giggles = S&G. 

So I started the truck and unplugged the cable to the MAF, the truck still ran. I shut the truck off and plugged it back in, now I have a CEL. It shouldn’t run unplugged should it?

It will run with it unplugged but will not run well.   I have forgotten to plug it back in when I had to take the intake off to change out the air filter when we had our 2011 Acadia and it ran but didn't run well.   I was like WTH?  looked over and saw I forgot to plug it back in when I put a new AF in.  Lucky I didn't throw any codes.  These newer vehicles, to me are more sensitive and throw codes if you just look at the vehicle wrong it seems.  LOL

• Like 2

CEL will go out by itself after several run cycles, keep everything plugged in as designed. 

Fuel mileage will always drop in the winter because of many things,  winter blend fuels, longer warm up cycles, density of air needs more fuel to maintain proper af ratio, etc...

A big fuel waster is remote starters, idling nets 0 mpg.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

L3B Test 2 :   -27F before we rolled into the shop.  That ain't windchill either. 

Wear control exceptional, tune exceptional, dry engine oil, fuels dilution of the QS 5w30 full syn will kill the oil and the engine over time. 

Wife started truck one day and dropped in D and took off out of garage and the BIT check was still going on with needles and some weird cycle in engine but the sound of turbo was ugly ( had my hearing aids in)  when she throttled it. I wait until everything calms down before I select a transmission gear. 

Any of the GM techs here know what that built in test cycle is on start?  

The new M1 5w30 is noticeably less viscous once warmed but slight higher pressure indicated cold but oil pressure needle drops rapidly at idle.  The QS 5w30 was noticeable more stable on pressure gauge but thats power robbing stability even with variable output OP.   Note the vis drop of QS vs their own data sheet.  Its terrible but 1.9% gasoline in engine will do that AND thats probably a low reading on average. We cook a lot of gas out of our over-rich engines. 

The reference oil on oil analysis result is QS 5w30 syn blend and not SP/GF6a but an iteration earlier. 

Weather been brutal for MPG testing since every other day I am burying it in snow and ice. I also don't have a snow blower or blade so rely on neighbor to come over and assist or I use shovel. I use this Trail Boss to smash snow but finally got it on center with no weight in back in icy crusty stuff and hung it up. Buried front back to rear differential.  Dug it out and used 4L to gently rock it out finally. Need chains of some sort. 

Added 360 lbs over rear axle after the drift snow battle and that helps some.  This truck is beating the 2001 F250 Super duty with about 1800 lbs in bed and thats saying something because that SD is a 7.3 4X4 tank. 

Screen Shot 2022-02-11 at 07.19.39.png

Screen Shot 2022-02-11 at 16.00.30.png

Edited by customboss
add QS data to show viscosity damage and thinning from fuel
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, customboss said:

Wear control exceptional, tune exceptional, dry engine oil, fuels dilution of the QS 5w30 full syn will kill the oil and the engine over time. 

1.) What do you attribute the fuel loading to?

2.) Can I assume the silicon level is assembly still working itself off?

3.) The highlight of Ca and Mg is to show change in chemistry? 

Last question. More about method. I've 'read' that when comparing wear metals based on different OCI's one needs to divide the PPM by the miles in thousands. Your thoughts?  

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

1.) What do you attribute the fuel loading to?

2.) Can I assume the silicon level is assembly still working itself off?

3.) The highlight of Ca and Mg is to show change in chemistry? 

Last question. More about method. I've 'read' that when comparing wear metals based on different OCI's one needs to divide the PPM by the miles in thousands. Your thoughts?  

1) design fuel mapping and severe cold here when polar vortex hits.  The manual alludes to ~ 4000 miles or equivalent hours the ECM,TCM, etc are still not fully schooled internally. You programming and electronic tuning guys/gals can clarify that comment but it makes sense. When worked with OBD and programmers at a OEM using engine tear down, dyno test cell, and collaborative oil analysis there was a learning curve for the programming. 

2) absolutely spot on!   NOTE the assembly silicons and polymers are VERY reactively  STRONG  chemically and until the engine has shed those chemistries they  can DEPLETE TBN.  Most TBN is needless anymore but thats been a real "thing"  since we noted that in early 2000's Toyota made a RTV that was so strong it literally zero'd out reserve alkalinity in their own engine oils, another reason the 3.0 V6 had internal deposit issues. 

3) Yes the lab ran a QS synthetic blend version as reference because thats all we had. It was also a SN/GF5.  For instance the viscosity was posted from the latest version because its much more robust than previous QS full synthetic..  Shell Rotella Gas Truck and SUV is a formulation that really works well in real world and I wanted to test the QS full syn as a lower cost alternative to that formulation from Shell. The QS full synthetic when its GEN3 dexos should be even better since this is Gen2. 

Last ?   No Sir, unless you have some third party wear causal.  Wear rates on engines are steady state once seated UNLESS something else abnormal internally is affecting the rate of wear.  Myriad possibilities. 

So that iron wear at 10 ppm is pretty consistent with the design. I might be able to drop the iron wear a bit if I can find a chemistry fo fuel and oil that works well with this design. 

For those of us that own this L3B or are considering it,  it's built like a tank.  It's wear- in and design characteristics  are more compression fired signature than spark.  When I was working on combination compression fuel engines natural gas and diesel, we spark timed the natural gas but compression fired it.  This engine reminds me of that using compression and boost more than spark.  Thats an oversimplification but to get this much TQ and HP out of this engine is amazing. Time will tell how durable. So wear readings and combustion efficiency are superb.  Now to figure out how to counter the over-fueling by design. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Awesome feed back. Thanks! Insight into the Toyota is off the hook. Again, thanks. You figure that fuel thing, i'm all ears. 

I'll let you lead and MAYBE I'll buy one once Pepper is in the dirt. Okay, if GM is still making them :crackup:

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

I've been watching this thread since I started shopping for a truck. Thanks to all those that have contributed such informative posts. I bought a quad cab 2.7 4x4 in August of 2021. I was sweating it with this new engine. It drives great but I was nervous. I've put some effort in to improving fuel efficiency and lately I've dropped the cruising speed a few mph to mitigate the cost of gas. I'm satisfied with the results. I am actually doing better than I expected but it would definitely be nice to be able to do this at 5-10 mph more! 

20220401_174107.jpg

20220324_122918.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks to Nick,  Black02Silverado for offering this service. Fuel dilution of engine oil will be a lifetime of service fight. Amsoil OE 5w30 in use now.  Engine is noticeably quieter w/Amsoil OE 5w30 even with my hearing aids in.  

Synthetic Advantage ISO Certified Analysis
ADVANCED & TUNER 
Nick Mikitka
Independent AMSOIL Dealer
Synthetic Advantage LLC
Phone: 910-290-2371

894025338_ScreenShot2022-04-02at08_37_46.png.3029de14350a658ee3af7c77b25cb52a.png

Edited by customboss
Add oil analysis source as Black02Silverado
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, CoolHandWayne said:

I've been watching this thread since I started shopping for a truck. Thanks to all those that have contributed such informative posts. I bought a quad cab 2.7 4x4 in August of 2021. I was sweating it with this new engine. It drives great but I was nervous. I've put some effort in to improving fuel efficiency and lately I've dropped the cruising speed a few mph to mitigate the cost of gas. I'm satisfied with the results. I am actually doing better than I expected but it would definitely be nice to be able to do this at 5-10 mph more! 

20220401_174107.jpg

20220324_122918.jpg

53 MPH the average for both those results?  I run 65 mph here in CO with my Trail Boss and no wind can achieve 24+. 

10 minutes ago, customboss said:

53 MPH the average for both those results?  I run 65 mph here in CO with my Trail Boss and no wind can achieve 24+. 

No no. Average is definitely higher than that though I can't say exactly. Somewhere closer to 58. I am not on interstates much. Rural 45, 55 and 60 mph zones. Though to keep the mpg average high I do take opportunities to make certain drives around 50 when I reasonably can. Though from the sounds of it maybe I should be doing even better. I am using good engine oil, currently motul 8300 though usually amsoil, I put redline in the rear diff, and a k&n filter all just to keep efficiency up. Last things to do are amsoil atf and maybe some semblance of an under tray to help out aero just a tad. Nothing overboard. 

Edited by CoolHandWayne
  • Like 1