2.7 Turbo 4 Fan Club

On 4/12/2022 at 11:11 AM, David Bodine said:

We towed our 14ft 3300lb camper for total of 250 miles this weekend. MPG with our 2.7T is 11mpg.

At what  avg speed  there in Southern MO to see 11 MPG?  

19 minutes ago, DrumDoug said:

Hello all, this is my first post here.

I went through most of this thread last night as I am thinking about pulling the trigger on a 2022 Silverado LT (2FL) 2.7 Turbo.  I have been seriously curious about this engine in a full size truck ever since it first came out. I always thought if GM ever made a full size truck that got 30mpg, or close, I was ready to jump if it was affordable for me.  I currently drive a nice 2021 GMC Terrain SLT Elevation FWD with the 1.5 turbo and I like it. Great vehicle for every day commuting and hauling my drums around in as my weekend hobby is the occasional band gig (normally two to three times a month).  Everything normally fits in the Terrain but sometimes I could use a little more room.  I really like driving my wife's truck but I do not care for the low gas mileage.  My daily commute is 22 miles each way and it 80% freeway and 20% city driving.  I borrowed her truck this past week (2020 Silverado RST double cab 4WD w/5.3 V8) and ended up with 19-20mpg avg for the week.  

Two weeks ago I went to my local dealer and drove both a 2022 Trail Boss Custom Ltd and a 2022 LT Ltd 4WD, both of which had the 2.7 and 20" wheels.  Actually the 20" wheels were the only option on the LT.  Both trucks were crew cab SB trucks and drove great.  The Trail Boss just looked killer being silver with all the black accents and the LT was just plain a nicer truck.  They ended up selling the Trail Boss but the LT is still there along with three others just like it in different colors.  To me, if you can get over the sound the 4-cyl turbo engine makes it's an amazing vehicle.  The sound doesn't bother me and as a musician, I listen to the radio pretty loud anyhow.  The power is great and I know the gas mileage has to be better than the 5.3 for my purposes.  I see people easily getting mid 20mpg figures in these trucks and I drive mostly like a grandpa these days anyhow.  My wife doesn't use her truck like a truck and really neither do I.  I like the ride and the room of the bigger vehicle, having that 4WD for when the weather gets bad, and the huge truck in rear.  She laughs at me for looking at one of these 4-cylinder trucks.  To me that is just old-school thinking.  

I could wait for the refresh models to come down in a year or so but to be honest, I like the look of the Limited more than the refresh model.  The new interior is nice and the screens are pretty cool. Don't really need that though.  Plenty of tech in the current model for me.  I haven't driven the new 2.7L and I am really wondering if that extra 80ft-lbs of torque would make a difference in the gas mileage even if the ratings don't show that it does.  Another thing that really turns me off on the refresh model is when I build the exact same LT model with only 20" wheels added and it's almost $4500 more!  I mean, really?  The current LT that I am looking at stickers for $47,260.  That is why I am considering on doing this now.  My last chance to get a truck that is somewhat fuel efficient and looks the way that I want or like it to look.  Something really just turns me off about the front ends (and price) of ALL of the refreshed models.  

Thanks for the thread on this engine and feel free to share any of your current owners opinions on my situation and thinking on this.  

WELCOME!!! 

20 hours ago, customboss said:

WELCOME!!! 

Thank you!

20 hours ago, customboss said:

????  You are a musician so for now maybe you hear better than I do.....LOL  

Without my hearing aids I can't hear anything in ours that sounds 4 cylinder-ish at 7100 miles but occasionally the injectors ,maybe.  I do note that fuel type and quality of additive seems to quiet injectors noticeably.  CENEX gasolines seem to quiet them. 

It's pretty quiet even with max smash in boost and WOT.   I can hear a slight woosh of turbo at WOT. 

You are exactly correct on the engine sounds.  I do actually like the fact that the 2.7 is very quiet while driving and even accelerating for that matter.  The cold start sound is another thing.  My wife's 5.3 makes this pretty awesome "GROWL" when it starts up and that is something the 2.7 just cannot do.  Now I have only driven and heard newer vehicles so that might be something that changes a little over time.  I understand that it will never sound like a V8 and I am good with that.  

I like the idea you expressed of driving this engine like it's a diesel because of all the torque in the lower RPMs.  That's kind of how I drove my wife's truck last week, basically trying to keep the tach at 2k while accelerating.  As far as the highway mileage goes for the 2.7, Is 25mpg the most I should ever expect or is it possible to get a little more?  I've done a lot of calculating of fuel costs for my Terrain vs the Silverado with the 2.7.  I did this as more of an informational type pf thing for myself to see what I could expect at different MPG just driving my normal 250 mile a week commuting.  Using the same gas price at 30, 27, 25 and 20mpg.  

Also, does this engine require 93 octane or is it just a suggested grade of fuel?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DrumDoug said:

Thank you!

You are exactly correct on the engine sounds.  I do actually like the fact that the 2.7 is very quiet while driving and even accelerating for that matter.  The cold start sound is another thing.  My wife's 5.3 makes this pretty awesome "GROWL" when it starts up and that is something the 2.7 just cannot do.  Now I have only driven and heard newer vehicles so that might be something that changes a little over time.  I understand that it will never sound like a V8 and I am good with that.  

I like the idea you expressed of driving this engine like it's a diesel because of all the torque in the lower RPMs.  That's kind of how I drove my wife's truck last week, basically trying to keep the tach at 2k while accelerating.  As far as the highway mileage goes for the 2.7, Is 25mpg the most I should ever expect or is it possible to get a little more?  I've done a lot of calculating of fuel costs for my Terrain vs the Silverado with the 2.7.  I did this as more of an informational type pf thing for myself to see what I could expect at different MPG just driving my normal 250 mile a week commuting.  Using the same gas price at 30, 27, 25 and 20mpg.  

Also, does this engine require 93 octane or is it just a suggested grade of fuel?

Do you have the 2022+ HO 2.7?  I have the previous one and I never use 93 octane I don’t think it’s necessary. I use 87 and it’s great. 

as for the sound, that’s the only difference I felt when driving the 5.3 and 2.7 back to back. I put a CAI on it and while it probably doesn’t do much it did make the engine sound better. Not like a V8 of course but less raspy and more growly. I like it alone for the sound. 

sounds like your MPG are pretty darn good. I have a lead foot and I get crappy city gas mileage and great highway. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, DrumDoug said:

Thank you!

Oh and on long highway trips I usually see 28/29 MPG

• Like 1

Our GMC dealer keeps hitting me up asking if I want to trade in on a 2.7HO 2022 crew cab. I do, but I don't want anything to do with their 5-6K "Market Adjustments". They can keep them for that. It's hard to keep saying no though, I'm ready for a new truck (I always am). 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Mike Borowski said:

Oh and on long highway trips I usually see 28/29 MPG

That's good to know.  I am looking at the current 2.7 and not 2022 H.O. version.

3 minutes ago, heymrdjCW said:

Our GMC dealer keeps hitting me up asking if I want to trade in on a 2.7HO 2022 crew cab. I do, but I don't want anything to do with their 5-6K "Market Adjustments". They can keep them for that. It's hard to keep saying no though, I'm ready for a new truck (I always am). 

The dealer I buy from was doing this.  My salesman told me they had to because all of the dealers in the area were also doing it and that people were coming from out of state and paying cash for vehicles and flipping them at their dealers.  He said that if you are a local resident they were not charging the marked up price.  

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, DrumDoug said:

Thank you!

The engine was designed around 87 octane. I run 85 octane a lot up here in Colorado where I am usually 7000-10,000' msl and off road a lot, thats our regular.   

I have made a mix of Kroger no brand 91 and Cenex 85 octane to get 87 octane with the Cenex additives and fresh brewed refining from east of here in Kansas.  I made a trip to Texastan recently for grandkids b-day and ran E10 87,  E0 87 and  E15 88 there. The E10 87 ran well and E0 no ethanol Cenex actually achieved lower mpg than E10 or E15.  Shows that the octane boosters being used vs ethanol are crap IMHO. 

I don't think higher octane seems to help this engine much.  I have run a few tanks of 91 octane which is our highest octane from a pump and its hard to tell how it worked because we are just out of the snow and mud season to see how it would do in dry gravel and dust.  

I am with Mike Borowski I think 87 octane gasolines  in most non mountain areas is OK. 

I have not scanned this engine dynamically because my scanner is old and I'm afraid of throwing a needless MIL code with the 2022 ECM.  It does NOT seem to ****** timing based on my MPG readings and subjective thump capability.  

If we hit 60-70F OAT here at 9000' thats about normal in summer.   Our dealer maintenance head is a racing guy too and said 85 is fine for local  driving with not much boost driving but in the valley it can get hot in summer and if thats the case he recommended using 87 mid grade or however I have to mix it.  For heavy towing 91-93 might give an edge but I don't tow anything.  

I just needed a giant jeep and this does that well and the Custom Trail Boss was all I needed. 

On start sounds etc; The 2022 LTD L3B does a BIT cycle on every start that is really odd and takes like 15-30 seconds.

If you take off too quick as my wife demonstrated one day the turbo intake or exhaust valve/s will squawk a bit from some internal test its doing that must affect them testing seal.  Once the test is done there is nothing noticeable unless the evap system is pressurizing and thats kinda clicky for a few seconds. 

Is GM recommending 93 for the H.O. ?  I would be surprised if that is true.  

The engine is built around the dual volute turbo and that boost is what is getting this engine to produce its Max TQ at 1500 RPM.  Once I am cruising and its on 2 cylinders the RPM is 1500-1650 or so and its quiet and fuel efficient until our winds pick up.  

60 MPG for this lifted truck with the duratracs is about optimum for best MPG.  

This is a well built engine and valve train issues for this would surprise me based on my first 3 oil analysis reports on 3 different oil types. 

I finally pulled the trigger on the new Silverado.  I haven’t picked it up yet but I spent the better part of yesterday driving it just so I was absolutely sure that this is what I wanted to use as my daily commuter for the next few years.  I will be picking it up either later today or Thursday.  I did sign the paperwork last night so it’s a done deal.  I’m pretty stoked about being back in a full-sized truck again.  It’s been a long time and my last one was a 1993 GMC Sierra regular cab sport side with a 5.7 in it.  

Anyhow, I took the truck over to dad’s and let him check it out.  He’s always been a V8 guy so he was naturally curious about this new engine.  My dad has a 2015 Silverado Double-cab LTZ with a 5.3 V8 that he bought new.  He’s retired so he doesn’t drive it all that much.  Really nice truck.  After driving the 2.7 he was pleasantly surprised at the power and snappiness it had.  He really liked the quieter noise levels too.  Don’t know that he would ever buy one but he understands why I would.  The truck seems really tall also.  It’s not a Trail Boss but it does have the 20” wheels.  Maybe that’s why.  Some side steps will be one of the first things I put on it.  

It did worry a bit when I drove it from the dealer to my parent’s house.  It’s about a 20 mile trip on pretty level 2-lane state routes. I kind of babied it and the gas mileage only got up to 18.5.  It was a rainy day and I had the distance on the DIC avg mpg set at 25 miles.  By the time I went back to my place and then back to the dealer with it (about another 30 miles) I had it up to 21.5mpg which made me feel better.  I was also driving it more like I normally would.  That seemed to help as well.  Lesson learned.  Overall I’m pretty excited to be fortunate enough to have a new Silverado to drive everyday.  I will post a pic or two once I get it home and it’s all detailed and looking pretty.   Next will be side steps, a tonneau cover and a Bedrug to line the inside of the box.  

Thank you again for all of your help and input.  I look forward to posting and learning more from everyone!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DrumDoug said:

I finally pulled the trigger on the new Silverado.  I haven’t picked it up yet but I spent the better part of yesterday driving it just so I was absolutely sure that this is what I wanted to use as my daily commuter for the next few years.  I will be picking it up either later today or Thursday.  I did sign the paperwork last night so it’s a done deal.  I’m pretty stoked about being back in a full-sized truck again.  It’s been a long time and my last one was a 1993 GMC Sierra regular cab sport side with a 5.7 in it.  

Anyhow, I took the truck over to dad’s and let him check it out.  He’s always been a V8 guy so he was naturally curious about this new engine.  My dad has a 2015 Silverado Double-cab LTZ with a 5.3 V8 that he bought new.  He’s retired so he doesn’t drive it all that much.  Really nice truck.  After driving the 2.7 he was pleasantly surprised at the power and snappiness it had.  He really liked the quieter noise levels too.  Don’t know that he would ever buy one but he understands why I would.  The truck seems really tall also.  It’s not a Trail Boss but it does have the 20” wheels.  Maybe that’s why.  Some side steps will be one of the first things I put on it.  

It did worry a bit when I drove it from the dealer to my parent’s house.  It’s about a 20 mile trip on pretty level 2-lane state routes. I kind of babied it and the gas mileage only got up to 18.5.  It was a rainy day and I had the distance on the DIC avg mpg set at 25 miles.  By the time I went back to my place and then back to the dealer with it (about another 30 miles) I had it up to 21.5mpg which made me feel better.  I was also driving it more like I normally would.  That seemed to help as well.  Lesson learned.  Overall I’m pretty excited to be fortunate enough to have a new Silverado to drive everyday.  I will post a pic or two once I get it home and it’s all detailed and looking pretty.   Next will be side steps, a tonneau cover and a Bedrug to line the inside of the box.  

Thank you again for all of your help and input.  I look forward to posting and learning more from everyone!

You’ll be happy with the 2.7. It suits my needs perfectly. Highway miles should easily be in the 25 area once it’s broken in. I have a heavy foot and city driving I get about 17 with lots of stop and go. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, DrumDoug said:

20" wheels really make a difference on a normal Silverado for ground clearance.  I have 18" duratracs and the side pipe looking steps that are too fat for how rough it is up here in winter, they'll drag a bit when I am on tight spots and blowing then frozen snow. 

On the MPG break it in right to get those steel rings to seat well.  LOW RPMS  until about 3000 miles on unit. DO not go higher than 75% of redline until is fully seated.  Lug it best you can up some good hills and get that 22 PSI to push pressure to the cylinders and your ring seal will be better. 

Yesterday we took a scenic mountain route out of Southern CO to Gunnison CO via Creede CO and the Silver Thread Highway, lots of mountains up and down 10,000+ ' curves.  Drove about 300 miles.  

I generally maintained 60 mph when I wasn't cutting tight mountain switchbacks. Temp was 50-70F ( yeah its too hot for mid April.   Averaged 23.9 mpg calculated DIC 23.6 mpg on 85 octane.  That was mostly Kroger NO NAME 85 octane used. 

I aired up tires for the day trip nice roads drive to 50 PSI @ 50 F in the garage before we departed and pulled out the 720 lbs of tube sand for traction out of the bed. 

From Monte Vista CO-OP and a fill up of CENEX 85 octane to home, 57 miles  I averaged 26.1 mpg. That's a first. 

Total miles on 2022 Trail Boss LTD  now is 7500.    Air filter is original and DIC sensor says 85% life remaining but I am going to change it soon because the dust and wind is BAAAAAD out here.  Truck is quiet, smooth, and responsive. 

Oil change # 4 ( yes frequent to get all wear in out early)  Amsoil OE 5w30 synthetic  I procured from  Synthetic Advantage A SITE SPONSOR HERE  in use, I highly recommend him for procuring good products at a fair price and wicked fast shipping 

Nick Mikitka  

Independent AMSOIL Dealer
Synthetic Advantage LLC

Phone: 910-290-2371