2.7 Turbo 4 Fan Club

9 hours ago, Eric Tsang said:

It's so sad that once you add any options to the Elevation, it forces you to the V8.

Why even offer the 4 cyl if it has such limited appeal with not being able to add anything?

Its because of the bucket seats.  The Preferred Pkg and the Elevation Premium include bucket seats, which the 2.7T can't be optioned with.

Same thing happens on the LT Trail Boss with Chevy, can't get the Convenience 2 or LT Trail Boss Premium.  

47 minutes ago, the wanderer said:

Just GM pulling another GM. I swear between GM and Ram, they must be driving thousands of customers into Ford just based on how Ford allows you to get any engine you wish at any time.

Both GM and Ram drive me nuts in this respect.

I believe you can still build a two door Ram built to your spec’s including a hemi and 391 rear. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KARNUT said:

I believe you can still build a two door Ram built to your spec’s including a hemi and 391 rear. 

Here in Canada, neither GM nor Ram allow you to get their diesel in the cheap trims. GM is cheapest, at about $55,000 for a Chevy LT diesel, Ram is nuts and you need to get a Rebel or Laramie which is easily north of $60,000 + the price of the diesel yet.

I can't just get a work truck with diesel, which is bizarre since more diesels on the road can only help their corporate MPG numbers.

To be honest its been a while since I looked at Ford's options, but when I did last, I remember being impressed that it seemed to me I could order any engine with any trim/package I wanted. Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but I believe they do this best. I'm just not a Ford fan by any stretch but I feel pushed in that direction due to how flexible the options are.

3 hours ago, the wanderer said:

Here in Canada, neither GM nor Ram allow you to get their diesel in the cheap trims. GM is cheapest, at about $55,000 for a Chevy LT diesel, Ram is nuts and you need to get a Rebel or Laramie which is easily north of $60,000 + the price of the diesel yet.

I can't just get a work truck with diesel, which is bizarre since more diesels on the road can only help their corporate MPG numbers.

To be honest its been a while since I looked at Ford's options, but when I did last, I remember being impressed that it seemed to me I could order any engine with any trim/package I wanted. Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but I believe they do this best. I'm just not a Ford fan by any stretch but I feel pushed in that direction due to how flexible the options are.

I’ve had plenty of diesels for pulling. I wouldn’t have a 1/2 ton diesel, it doesn’t make sense to me. I didn’t consider that with your complaint. 

On 4/6/2022 at 11:46 PM, KARNUT said:

I’ve had plenty of diesels for pulling. I wouldn’t have a 1/2 ton diesel, it doesn’t make sense to me. I didn’t consider that with your complaint. 

Genuinely curious, why not a diesel? The 2nd gen eco diesel has a poor reputation so I wouldn't get that, and the Ford diesel is kind of sad, but I've been reading good things about the 3.0 Duramax. Basically if I cracked up my truck and needed to replace it, the 3.0 is at the top of my list when combined with the updated interior.

They make a lot of sense to me and my driving style, which is quite laid back (so I don't need the performance of a v8 though my truck does make me smile from time to time lol) with lots of highway and rural driving and a good amount of towing thrown in.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, the wanderer said:

Genuinely curious, why not a diesel? The 2nd gen eco diesel has a poor reputation so I wouldn't get that, and the Ford diesel is kind of sad, but I've been reading good things about the 3.0 Duramax. Basically if I cracked up my truck and needed to replace it, the 3.0 is at the top of my list when combined with the updated interior.

They make a lot of sense to me and my driving style, which is quite laid back (so I don't need the performance of a v8 though my truck does make me smile from time to time lol) with lots of highway and rural driving and a good amount of towing thrown in.

Its not cost effective enough. Every one I talked to has problems with the pollution devices at around 100k miles 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, the wanderer said:

Karnut and I agree.....take a picture!!!!   

I'll add this a former Cummins engineer who worked on SCR selective catalytic reduction after-treatment systems.  SCR on light trucks can be a nightmare with valves that stick, sensors that get deposited, and customers who try to game the DEF system.  Way before 100K. 

Compression/diesel engines cannot make emissions without SCR and sadly a DPF since they are DI to make the power we want.  Current Diesel engines make LOTS OF NOx then we clean it up out the tailpipe. 

The L3B is essentially a compression engine design with spark plugs and gasoline as the fuel. Built around the turbo it's capable of pulling large loads but will sacrifice MPG when doing that because of its capability of 22 psi boost.  It was designed as an all around replacement for the 4.3L V6 and is more fuel efficient when driven as a daily driver and keeping speeds below 60 mph to achieve optimum barn door drag implications. 

~ @60 mph here in southern CO ( no or low winds)  I can achieve 25 mpg avg easily and thats climbing and descending 10,000' passes.  Still experimenting with fuels to find sweet spot. Our Regular gasolines here are 85 octane avg.   87 octane here seems to help with 91 octane ideal but may not make sense. 

44 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

Its not cost effective enough. Every one I talked to has problems with the pollution devices at around 100k miles 

Fair enough, but leather seats and sunroof aren't "cost effective" either right? I know there is slim chance of breaking even with diesel prices in my area, but some things are nice to have even though the math doesn't work. I like the way they drive, the torque down low and "always on". It suits my lazy driving style.

But yeah, trading in a perfectly good truck for a diesel just to try and save money, that's never going to work out.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, the wanderer said:

Fair enough, but leather seats and sunroof aren't "cost effective" either right? I know there is slim chance of breaking even with diesel prices in my area, but some things are nice to have even though the math doesn't work. I like the way they drive, the torque down low and "always on". It suits my lazy driving style.

But yeah, trading in a perfectly good truck for a diesel just to try and save money, that's never going to work out.

I use to love and modified  diesels. My nephew had an 11 second daily driver that was profiled in a magazine in the 2000s. We started putting banks kits with my dads 88 ford 7.3. And did several through the years. My mother still drives an 01 7.3 1 ton at 83. My dad 98 Ram diesel still looks new. Changing the fuel and adding pollution devices killed the mileage and longevity of diesels. All the fleet buyers I know are switching to gas for their fleet buys. They run spread sheets there’re not cost effective anymore. Personal preference is what it is and your choice obviously. You may want to check out the four cylinder. I’m hearing good things. Longevity it’s a little soon to tell. I’d buy extended warranty anyway.

• Like 1

Hello all, this is my first post here.

I went through most of this thread last night as I am thinking about pulling the trigger on a 2022 Silverado LT (2FL) 2.7 Turbo.  I have been seriously curious about this engine in a full size truck ever since it first came out. I always thought if GM ever made a full size truck that got 30mpg, or close, I was ready to jump if it was affordable for me.  I currently drive a nice 2021 GMC Terrain SLT Elevation FWD with the 1.5 turbo and I like it. Great vehicle for every day commuting and hauling my drums around in as my weekend hobby is the occasional band gig (normally two to three times a month).  Everything normally fits in the Terrain but sometimes I could use a little more room.  I really like driving my wife's truck but I do not care for the low gas mileage.  My daily commute is 22 miles each way and it 80% freeway and 20% city driving.  I borrowed her truck this past week (2020 Silverado RST double cab 4WD w/5.3 V8) and ended up with 19-20mpg avg for the week.  

Two weeks ago I went to my local dealer and drove both a 2022 Trail Boss Custom Ltd and a 2022 LT Ltd 4WD, both of which had the 2.7 and 20" wheels.  Actually the 20" wheels were the only option on the LT.  Both trucks were crew cab SB trucks and drove great.  The Trail Boss just looked killer being silver with all the black accents and the LT was just plain a nicer truck.  They ended up selling the Trail Boss but the LT is still there along with three others just like it in different colors.  To me, if you can get over the sound the 4-cyl turbo engine makes it's an amazing vehicle.  The sound doesn't bother me and as a musician, I listen to the radio pretty loud anyhow.  The power is great and I know the gas mileage has to be better than the 5.3 for my purposes.  I see people easily getting mid 20mpg figures in these trucks and I drive mostly like a grandpa these days anyhow.  My wife doesn't use her truck like a truck and really neither do I.  I like the ride and the room of the bigger vehicle, having that 4WD for when the weather gets bad, and the huge truck in rear.  She laughs at me for looking at one of these 4-cylinder trucks.  To me that is just old-school thinking.  

I could wait for the refresh models to come down in a year or so but to be honest, I like the look of the Limited more than the refresh model.  The new interior is nice and the screens are pretty cool. Don't really need that though.  Plenty of tech in the current model for me.  I haven't driven the new 2.7L and I am really wondering if that extra 80ft-lbs of torque would make a difference in the gas mileage even if the ratings don't show that it does.  Another thing that really turns me off on the refresh model is when I build the exact same LT model with only 20" wheels added and it's almost $4500 more!  I mean, really?  The current LT that I am looking at stickers for $47,260.  That is why I am considering on doing this now.  My last chance to get a truck that is somewhat fuel efficient and looks the way that I want or like it to look.  Something really just turns me off about the front ends (and price) of ALL of the refreshed models.  

Thanks for the thread on this engine and feel free to share any of your current owners opinions on my situation and thinking on this.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DrumDoug said:

To me, if you can get over the sound the 4-cyl turbo engine makes it's an amazing vehicle.  

????  You are a musician so for now maybe you hear better than I do.....LOL  

Without my hearing aids I can't hear anything in ours that sounds 4 cylinder-ish at 7100 miles but occasionally the injectors ,maybe.  I do note that fuel type and quality of additive seems to quiet injectors noticeably.  CENEX gasolines seem to quiet them. 

It's pretty quiet even with max smash in boost and WOT.   I can hear a slight woosh of turbo at WOT. 

I drive it like its a diesel because it has diesel like TQ for even the original L3B.  In other words I normally to not over RPM it allowing that max TQ at 1500 RPM work.  Its very fuel efficient and my current lifetime MPG is 20+ thats in mountains of southern CO and wind here is constant and high velocity ruining MPG from drag. 

It has Cd of a barn door so slower MPH will garner better MPG.  

I could use 20" tires to get an ~  inch more lift for snow clearance here but if you want better response go with OEM 18" wheels and tires.  

I prefer base type trucks so the Trail Boss Custom LTD was the deal for my off road and on road needs. 

• Like 1