2.7 Turbo 4 Fan Club

14 hours ago, Mike Borowski said:

Agreed

With V8 valve train metallurgy issues no way I would touch a V8 from GM right now, except the dealer is exceptional here so I would trust them to do it right if I had to fight GM over it.  If the 2.7 is not acceptable for the average truck owner that does not tow much a broken 6.2 isn't gonna get it either. 

52 minutes ago, customboss said:

With V8 valve train metallurgy issues no way I would touch a V8 from GM right now, except the dealer is exceptional here so I would trust them to do it right if I had to fight GM over it.  If the 2.7 is not acceptable for the average truck owner that does not tow much a broken 6.2 isn't gonna get it either. 

Just surpassed 200k miles with one of my 21 6.2 trucks, hasnt had an issue, my other nearing 70k miles without an issue.  I think its less of an issue with failures as much as it is people neglecting these things like running them with cold starts before the engines even hot yet, or not changing the oil every 2-3k miles.  Common sense keeps you from having engine issues, especially in performance v8's. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Anon12345 said:

Just surpassed 200k miles with one of my 21 6.2 trucks, hasnt had an issue, my other nearing 70k miles without an issue.  I think its less of an issue with failures as much as it is people neglecting these things like running them with cold starts before the engines even hot yet, or not changing the oil every 2-3k miles.  Common sense keeps you from having engine issues, especially in performance v8's. 

Who changes their oil after 2,000 miles?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Anon12345 said:

Is your AFM still in place for these two units?  I normally would agree with you until arriving here and retiring from oil analysis in 2020.  So I am not seeing hundreds of oil analysis reports like I used to for 42 years. 

My customers did not report these issues as you haven't had issues but after speaking to my dealer maintenance supervisor who is also a racer he can't keep up with failures we are speaking to here in  regional GM dealer in Southern CO.   

Failures literally on delivery from GM.   I was shocked. 

Just now, customboss said:

Is your AFM still in place for these two units?  I normally would agree with you until arriving here and retiring from oil analysis in 2020.  So I am not seeing hundreds of oil analysis reports like I used to for 42 years. 

My customers did not report these issues as you haven't had issues but after speaking to my dealer maintenance supervisor who is also a racer he can't keep up with failures we are speaking to here in  regional GM dealer in Southern CO.   

Failures literally on delivery from GM.   I was shocked. 

Both have DFM still, yes.  Those who had failures and my local dealer had to replace lifters and pushrods, i asked, "did you let your engine warm up to operating temp before driving, or did you start it and just drive?" And every answer was "i started it and just drove" and the afm/dfm system relies on oil pressure to control the lifters.  So if the lifters are not getting proper oil pressure, you get collapsed lifters. Whos fault is this?  The users fault. 

Its common sense for long long long times to let your engines warm up to operating temps, most of your engine damage occurs from cold starts and cold drives. 

• Like 1

On 4/17/2022 at 11:21 AM, customboss said:

Is GM recommending 93 for the H.O. ?  I would be surprised if that is true.  

Still 87 octane.  I'm curious myself as to how they did that with the torque bump.  The Cadillac L3B is 91/93 octane at 325hp/380 torque.  Haven't seen the SAE dyno chart yet for the HO, but it makes me think this thing behaves like the non HO in the low RPM band, and mids and highs it ramps the torque.  So not a flat 1500-5000rpm torque band, but curved.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Anon12345 said:

Both have DFM still, yes.  Those who had failures and my local dealer had to replace lifters and pushrods, i asked, "did you let your engine warm up to operating temp before driving, or did you start it and just drive?" And every answer was "i started it and just drove" and the afm/dfm system relies on oil pressure to control the lifters.  So if the lifters are not getting proper oil pressure, you get collapsed lifters. Whos fault is this?  The users fault. 

Its common sense for long long long times to let your engines warm up to operating temps, most of your engine damage occurs from cold starts and cold drives. 

How many idiot answers can one person post?  It’s the users fault????  It’s 2022 people get in their cars and drive. 

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Mike Borowski said:

Lol that’s ridiculous. 

As someone who works in a shop and has literally built and rebuilt engines and sees how they look after owners neglect to change their oil or neglect to do so before 3 or 4k miles, 2k just being early, its not ridiculous.  Id love to see how your engines look if you pulled your valve covers if you are changing your oil at 5k miles or more or less than once per year. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Anon12345 said:

Just surpassed 200k miles with one of my 21 6.2 trucks, hasn't had an issue, my other nearing 70k miles without an issue.  I think its less of an issue with failures as much as it is people neglecting these things like running them with cold starts before the engines even hot yet, or not changing the oil every 2-3k miles.  Common sense keeps you from having engine issues, especially in performance v8's. 

My 2012 had 45K when I got rid of it.  Oil changed every 3K, AFM was still enabled and never lost a lifter.  K2s at work with failures are all longer drain intervals (5K or more) but the mileage failure has been anywhere from 30-70K miles on K2 trucks.

These T1s however, not good.  Lots of low mileage failures, but mostly 2020-2021 trucks that were hit by the bad batch of lifters.  Those have failed under 15K on most of those, if they had a failure.  Hell, we had one T1 that had to come apart twice at our sister store as one of the new lifters failed within 5 minutes of running the re-assembled engine.  

The 5.3s that GM has been pumping out with DFM disabled have been good so far however.

On my K2, I disabled AFM really early in the game.  I wish I had two K2s to test my theory with, but if I did, I would run one on 0w20 and one on 5w30 and see which one loses a lifter first.  I have my suspicions, but have never been able to confirm them really.  That said, LS AFM engines ran 5w30 and the failure occurances are with higher mileage than LT engines on 0w20.  Camaro and Corvette LT engine AFM issues are much less occuring as well, and those are 5w30 or more recently 0w40.    

Edited by newdude
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mike Borowski said:

Who changes their oil after 2,000 miles?

I change mine at 3000 max.

Not a big deal. It's easy to do and it's the best defense against the lifter issue IMO.

I'm running Royal Purple 0w20 in my trucks.

Use whatever oil you want as long as its dexos.  Just change it around every 3000 miles. 

These trucks are big investments nowadays. Why cheap out on oil and oil changes?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, dieselfan1 said:

I change mine at 3000 max.

Not a big deal. It's easy to do and it's the best defense against the lifter issue IMO.

I'm running Royal Purple 0w20 in my trucks.

Use whatever oil you want as long as its dexos.  Just change it around every 3000 miles. 

These trucks are big investments nowadays. Why cheap out on oil and oil changes?

Ill bet you $50 that mike will come around claiming you dont know sh*t, or "why do i need to change my oil at 3k miles?!"

• Haha 1