2.7 Turbo 4 Fan Club

20 minutes ago, Anon12345 said:

Both have DFM still, yes.  Those who had failures and my local dealer had to replace lifters and pushrods, i asked, "did you let your engine warm up to operating temp before driving, or did you start it and just drive?" And every answer was "i started it and just drove" and the afm/dfm system relies on oil pressure to control the lifters.  So if the lifters are not getting proper oil pressure, you get collapsed lifters. Whos fault is this?  The users fault. 

Its common sense for long long long times to let your engines warm up to operating temps, most of your engine damage occurs from cold starts and cold drives. 

That's an interesting  observation and may tie into what I was seeing  up to 2020 and rarely now here. 

ALL modern engines are mapped to  over-fueling grossly. 

Enough that the engine oil protection would be impacted by a coating of cooked fuel residuals ( shellac and varnish)  on the valve-train components and we all know how well gasoline lubricates. 

In general I am against warming an engine like a race car because the new oils are very good, but with the measured fuels in the oil of at least 1% and most are probably 3-5% or higher by (gas chromatography so its accurate) that amount of gasoline might be mitigated by warming the engine as you do.   

Thanks for sharing Anon12345.  

I do not warm the 2.7T L3B but I drive gently and limit RPM until its warmed. I also test my oil because I can't not do that.....LOL    and I run the best oils I can get with best fuels I can get. 

The in-house made cams and slider AFM system is super smooth and solid so far from testing and observation.  Tooling down the road in 2 cylinder mode is seamless and if the damn nightmare winds here in Colorado would abate it would stay in 2 cylinder mode.....😆

25 minutes ago, Anon12345 said:

As someone who works in a shop and has literally built and rebuilt engines and sees how they look after owners neglect to change their oil or neglect to do so before 3 or 4k miles, 2k just being early, its not ridiculous.  Id love to see how your engines look if you pulled your valve covers if you are changing your oil at 5k miles or more or less than once per year. 

Have you ever correlated oil analysis to your experience and tear-downs.  I did that for 42 years with much of that at Cummins Engine Co.  It's very helpful and frees up a shop to analyze instead of tear down and all that incurs. 

The cool thing about a good oil analysis is it will see more, earlier, than a human eye can in an already damaged unit. 

PS I have never smoked marijuana but live in Colorado...  I did smoke cigarettes in combat but I was scared.... :devil:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, customboss said:

That's an interesting  observation and may tie into what I was seeing  up to 2020 and rarely now here. 

ALL modern engines are mapped to  over-fueling grossly. 

Enough that the engine oil protection would be impacted by a coating of cooked fuel residuals ( shellac and varnish)  on the valve-train components and we all know how well gasoline lubricates. 

In general I am against warming an engine like a race car because the new oils are very good, but with the measured fuels in the oil of at least 1% and most are probably 3-5% or higher by (gas chromatography so its accurate) that amount of gasoline might be mitigated by warming the engine as you do.   

Thanks for sharing Anon12345.  

I do not warm the 2.7T L3B but I drive gently and limit RPM until its warmed. I also test my oil because I can't not do that.....LOL    and I run the best oils I can get with best fuels I can get. 

The in-house made cams and slider AFM system is super smooth and solid so far from testing and observation.  Tooling down the road in 2 cylinder mode is seamless and if the damn nightmare winds here in Colorado would abate it would stay in 2 cylinder mode.....😆

I just start my truck with remote start 20 min before i leave the house every morning so by the time im ready to leave everything has fluids thats warmed up and circulating and the engines at operating temp by then so im good to go.  I noticed how rich the 6.2's are too by how the exhaust smells and visually looks, i thought it was condensation until i smelt the exhaust.   Why do they do that?  Before with the epa it was running engines too lean, now they are runnign engines too rich. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, customboss said:

Have you ever correlated oil analysis to your experience and tear-downs.  I did that for 42 years with much of that at Cummins Engine Co.  It's very helpful and frees up a shop to analyze instead of tear down and all that incurs. 

The cool thing about a good oil analysis is it will see more, earlier, than a human eye can in an already damaged unit. 

PS I have never smoked marijuana but live in Colorado...  I did smoke cigarettes in combat but I was scared.... :devil:

On personal engines, yes. At work, never really get the time to with how pressured you are just to get the job done.  Dont have time to wait for oil analysis to come back at work. 

Tobacco of any form naturally relaxes you from the nicotine content.  Combat is a brutal thing, but war gives us the freedom we are lucky to have today, well whats left of it anyways as long as people keep on going down the same path they are going down. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Anon12345 said:

I just start my truck with remote start 20 min before i leave the house every morning so by the time im ready to leave everything has fluids thats warmed up and circulating and the engines at operating temp by then so im good to go.  I noticed how rich the 6.2's are too by how the exhaust smells and visually looks, i thought it was condensation until i smelt the exhaust.   Why do they do that?  Before with the epa it was running engines too lean, now they are runnign engines too rich. 

Emissions and using direct injected GASOLINE to cool the charge.  That way you can make power, meet emissions, and run lean with timing advanced but cool it to stop detonation.  

Here's where it becomes an issue.....ANYTHING that messes up that system, weak coil, restricted air filter, nasty or cheap oil, misfiring plug, ECM millisecond fart or a lose ground somewhere WILL cause issues especially over many cycles. 

2 minutes ago, Anon12345 said:

On personal engines, yes. At work, never really get the time to with how pressured you are just to get the job done.  Dont have time to wait for oil analysis to come back at work. 

Tobacco of any form naturally relaxes you from the nicotine content.  Combat is a brutal thing, but war gives us the freedom we are lucky to have today, well whats left of it anyways as long as people keep on going down the same path they are going down. 

Most labs suck and are a bunch of chemdorks, not former techs, mechs who went to chem training later. 

I used to bring in engine stands  and heads in particular and make the chemists learn the engines in depth. Analyze the deposits etc. then reassemble the engines. 

Thats why we turned oil analysis data the same day the sample hit the lab.  I had WOO and others race teams overnight the samples and we had actionable data the next morning. 

Synthetic Advantage turns data fast too.  Nick is a site sponsor here and his lab data is second to none. 

49 minutes ago, Anon12345 said:

Enjoy your 4 banger and enjoy that marijuana, kid.  Zoomers be zooming constantly.  Kids these days. 

The fact that you know the word Zoomer tells me you are sub 30 years old

• Haha 1

Well, I’ve had my new Silverado for exactly one week now and so far I am absolutely loving driving this truck.  The gas mileage is not what I thought it might be out of the gate, but it’s still new and I have a long way to go before it’s really broken in.  The highest mileage that I have seen on my 22 mile commute each day has been 21.5.  That’s 80% freeway and 20% city.  One hill on the freeway.  Down one way and up on the way back home.  So I am wondering how you guys drive your trucks?  Are you nice and just lug them around, or do you drive them hard and not worry about it?  I’m sure a lot of people are somewhere in between those two examples.  I am just curious.  I am obviously being pretty cautious since the truck is still new.  Just under 400 miles on the odometer as of this morning.

I’m trying to decide on a set of steps, a tonneau cover and what to line the bed with.  Pretty sure that I want to put a full Bedrug in mine like we did on my wife’s truck.  That’s really nice when you just haul music equipment around like I do.  Gives the truck a nice finished look inside the bed also.  As far as steps go, I’m torn between some GM 6” flat knock-offs (polished) or a set of polished or chrome 4” or 5” oval bars with the ends that curve inward.  Both would look nice on this truck.  Thinking the oval bars would look better as long as they don’t hang too low.  

Anyhow, loving the hell out of this truck and not regretting my purchase one bit.  Not even a little.

• Like 1

On 4/27/2022 at 12:51 PM, DrumDoug said:

Well, I’ve had my new Silverado for exactly one week now and so far I am absolutely loving driving this truck.  The gas mileage is not what I thought it might be out of the gate, but it’s still new and I have a long way to go before it’s really broken in.  The highest mileage that I have seen on my 22 mile commute each day has been 21.5.  That’s 80% freeway and 20% city.  One hill on the freeway.  Down one way and up on the way back home.  So I am wondering how you guys drive your trucks?  Are you nice and just lug them around, or do you drive them hard and not worry about it?  I’m sure a lot of people are somewhere in between those two examples.  I am just curious.  I am obviously being pretty cautious since the truck is still new.  Just under 400 miles on the odometer as of this morning.

I drive pretty carefully to get good efficiency. Most of my driving is in a 60mph zone. I'd like to drive 65 but going 55 makes a huge improvement. I use down hill stretches to pick up a few mph and allow the truck to slow down some when going up hill. Tbh, I watch the instant fuel consumption reading more than the speedometer. If the instant reads low I slow down. If it's high I speed up. I recently got my 400 mile average up to 27.8. it's down to 26.6 or so now after some city stop and go but I was pretty impressed. 

Edited by CoolHandWayne
  • Thanks 1

2022 Custom Trail Boss

Day trip of about 300 miles in Colorado. 85 octane CENEX 

60 mph max on US 160 eastbound. 
sitting at light in Walsenburg idle off. 

Major tailwind when these taken. Round Trip 22 mpg average and we were in some rough mountainous county roads in way back. 

C997F366-BE02-459A-8D6A-FA836846CD28.thumb.jpeg.7eea0afd30362821d8ce79813e99f103.jpeg0E84A629-13AB-47EE-95A3-9F29A4ACA791.thumb.jpeg.9936e24e4e4f52bd35061b899e6461f8.jpeg