2.7 Turbo 4 Fan Club

9 minutes ago, customboss said:

Spent the day at the Ransom E Olds museum. Here’s an engine I raced for GM Motorsports. Where your 2.7 turbo comes from. 
D2AA63E3-BD65-4842-A7BB-3C967D4F69D9.thumb.jpeg.54c4654c70b8cbbdab2dd5d36dfdaf91.jpeg

6D0E9775-6F63-43B5-8BF3-0E9062AEC62B.jpeg

REO was Olds truck division.  Keep that in mind when you see the QUAD 4 which was designed by Oldsmobile. 

BF8A05A3-0605-43F9-9A8C-3E719089A8CA.jpeg

Edited by customboss
Add some pics
  • Like 1

Has anyone tried running E85 yet or maybe even a mix of E85 and 87?

I used to have a 2018 BMW with a 4 cylinder turbo, stock I would run about 7 gallons of e85 and fill the rest with 91, ran great, especially in boost. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Slvrado said:

I used to have a 2018 BMW with a 4 cylinder turbo, stock I would run about 7 gallons of e85 and fill the rest with 91, ran great, especially in boost. 

I don’t think you can run E85 in these?

1 hour ago, Slvrado said:

You can't run it straight but mix like you did with the BMW wouldn't be a problem.  I mix it in my 2019 with the 6.2.   Run 8 gallons of E85 and the rest 93 in a 24 gallon tank.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Slvrado said:

E15 in the 22' Custom Trail Boss L3B runs great without but a hint of MPG loss.  The timing stability is better too.  The L3B is really interesting after a 3469 mile trip to Indiana, Michigan then back Colorado.  I tested a few different schemes enroute with a few notes to share later here. 

Tuning an engine for ethanol octane and mechanical energy capability is key. A turbo engine can use that clean cool burn capability. 

• Like 1

794666378_ScreenShot2021-11-20at11_40_47.png.0f4b529b114c59e45c6d03ea47912f91.png

17 hours ago, Mike Borowski said:

I don’t think you can run E85 in these?

Any modern engine can burn E85 but the pulse width, timing curve and fuel map will not be optimized nor are our gasoline spark engines designed to optimize the fuel. I had a 2011 VW GTI 2.0 with APR tune, down pipe etc and burned E85 90% of the time with great results and good MPG.  When we had to replace the turbo pressure relief valve at or over ~100,000 miles for worn out seal techs could not believe the carbon making GTI 2.0 T was so clean, literally no valve deposits, no pistons deposits, no turbo deposits. 

On stock engines you will get a MIL code for fuel density out of spec ( generally at 50% ETOH in fuel) and sensed lean which will over-fuel needlessly because it thinks its too lean for that fuel. Timing will go as far as ECM allows. Most summer E85 is about 70% ETOH and runs great.  

Non turbo engines really depend on tune and setup but the engines can't optimize its use but will run fine on it with degraded MPG because the engine was designed to gasoline which is heat energy rich not mechanical energy rich. 

Edited by customboss
add pics and video
  • Thanks 1

On 6/17/2022 at 5:58 PM, Black02Silverado said:

You can't run it straight but mix like you did with the BMW wouldn't be a problem.  I mix it in my 2019 with the 6.2.   Run 8 gallons of E85 and the rest 93 in a 24 gallon tank.

My biggest concern was eating away a fuel line or something, but most newer cars all the plastics and rubbers are designed for it since most gas has ethanol in it already. 

On 6/18/2022 at 9:52 AM, customboss said:

E15 in the 22' Custom Trail Boss L3B runs great without but a hint of MPG loss.  The timing stability is better too.  The L3B is really interesting after a 3469 mile trip to Indiana, Michigan then back Colorado.  I tested a few different schemes enroute with a few notes to share later here. 

Tuning an engine for ethanol octane and mechanical energy capability is key. A turbo engine can use that clean cool burn capability. 

Yeah i know for BMW’s they make tunes that bump up the injectors output to compensate for the fuels. Our trucks are still so new I doubt thats available yet. I may try a heavy mix like 15 gallons of e85 and 4-5 gallons of 87 and see how it goes; worst case scenario It throws a lean code and MPG is bad till i can get some more regular gas in the tank.

• Like 2

Maybe we should start an E85 thread for the 2.7L and share data. The truck are designed for it but if we build data on it maybe we can get to safe usage levels. Here in california E85 is half the cost of 87 so being able to run a heavy mix of e85 would be nice, im sure others will benefit from the knowledge as well. 

4 hours ago, Slvrado said:

Maybe we should start an E85 thread for the 2.7L and share data. The truck are designed for it but if we build data on it maybe we can get to safe usage levels. Here in california E85 is half the cost of 87 so being able to run a heavy mix of e85 would be nice, im sure others will benefit from the knowledge as well. 

Running E100 isn’t unsafe in any modern engine. You’ll get a nuisance code via MIL and overfuel needlessly. Of course we already overfuel needlessly with gasoline at 100%. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, customboss said:

Running E100 isn’t unsafe in any modern engine. You’ll get a nuisance code via MIL and overfuel needlessly. Of course we already overfuel needlessly with gasoline at 100%. 

Which begs a question. If over fueling on alcohols how does that effect fuel dilution? Does it have a 'different effect' then gasoline? Would it even show up in the GC as fuel dilution? 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Which begs a question. If over fueling on alcohols how does that effect fuel dilution? Does it have a 'different effect' then gasoline? Would it even show up in the GC as fuel dilution? 

Good questions.  

Density of ethanol is 0.79 kg/l, which is slightly higher than that of gasoline 0.7489 kg/l. Higher density improves volumetric fuel economy to some extent compensating a bit for lower BTU. The oxygen content of ethanol is 35%. 

Higher octane is another positive that compensates for an engine that can be tuned to optimize that benefit and most ECM's will try within limits of fuels mapping and physical capabilities of fuel delivery system.  

Our gasoline engines are  over-fueling with ETOH because the fuels system and engine are designed for gasolines lower per unit density and higher BTU and most importantly the density change has the non ETOH fuel map WRONGLY accommodating what it detects as a lean condition. 

It's more solvent and it burns cleaner so that physical property compensates to a degree for the poor tuning for ethanol. 

NO, ethanol will not show up as a gasoline reference GC.   Testing for ethanol would require the GC to be reset for that chem  signature.  Same as testing diesel, diesel crossover with gasoline is small. So always make sure the lab gets the fuel correct. 

ETOH has a positive cleansing affectation to the PCV/CCV and EGR systems because of the solvency and clean burn characteristics. 

• Thanks 1