2.7 Turbo 4 Fan Club

19 hours ago, Slvrado said:

I do not have a scanner, but the light did come back. It was 109 yesterday and I was driving the truck pretty hard so it could have attributed to it. Ill see if i can barrow a scanner from a GM buddy and log some data.

If the MIL system light came back on and it actually has an active Renewable Fuels fuel map then something is awry.  As far as I am aware and we did discuss this at my dealer they doubt our L3B has anything in the ECU that can compensate above 50% ETOH. You may have just been below that for ethanol content since winter blends of pump E85 can be as low as 51% ethanol by law. 

2 minutes ago, customboss said:

“Military-grade” refers to AES-256 encryption. This standard was established in order to be in compliance with the Federal Information Processing Standards (FIPS) that govern the handling of sensitive data. It offers 128-bit block encryption via the use of cryptographic keys.

Having said that I found out from my GM service manager who also races a Cadillac LTA with larger than stock twin turbo 6.2L V8 that there are 3 companies including Trifecta who has done the work to get into the GM ECU's and mod them.  So I was wrong about that. 

As a computer science guy I'm well aware of what military grade encryption refers to. I'm simply telling you that "military grade" is something marketing guys latch onto because it sounds impressive. It's not something special, it's just off the shelf encryption. All you need to say is "the communication system in the these trucks are encrypted" but some how that lacks the ... "bling" of military grade.

Anyway the point is not that the system is encrypted, the point is that it has to be decrypted at some point because hardware doesn't understand encrypted messages. That's the way in. You don't need to break encryption at all.

• Like 2

On 6/25/2022 at 12:26 AM, ECE said:

Hello, started an account here because I read through this thread and found it very informative. 

Here is my question if anyone wishes to reply or suggest anything. I plow my driveway (just mine) with a 2010 Silverado 4.8 with 120,000 miles. It does a great job, even where I live in Maine where we can really get buried some winters. I kept the 2010 for a plow truck and recently purchased a 2022 2.7 Custom which I absolutely love so far with the 600 miles I’ve put on it.

After driving it for a bit now I don’t see why the 2.7 wouldn’t be a good option to use as a plow truck for just a single drive way. Everything I’ve found stated that the 2.7 has more HP and more torque even at lower rpm than the 4.8. Does anyone know why this wouldn’t be a good idea to plow snow with?

I’ve scoured the internet and only found one forum where someone put a plow on his but after the initial post and conversation, it hasn’t been updated. Some plow sites say that they don’t have options for turbo engines (eco boost or 2.7 Chevy), but some do. For reference I have a BOSS HTX straight blade that’s about two years old, basically brand new. 

The only thing that some people mentioned is that the plow may block some air flow that may effect the turbo and cause it to go into limp mode.

I’m no expert so any knowledgeable comments to this would be greatly appreciated if there are any other snow plowers lurking on here.

Also, I’m averaging 23.5 MPG since I set the trip after leaving the dealership. I’ve seen that that is a common topic on this thread.  

On 6/25/2022 at 9:54 AM, customboss said:

The air intake is located upper left hand side ( drivers side under hood facing up).  Turbo air flow restriction NOT A PLAYER. I have pictures on this site of my trail boss buried in snow up to 

lower head lights and doing just fine. 

I don't plow but live in high snow area at 9000' msl in Southern CO. The front suspension is plenty 

tough to handle a once a week snow plowing.

You will need counter weight in bed as like majority of GM trucks its sprung too light in back over locking differential for my 2022 LTD

Trail Boss. I ended up needing about 720 lbs of sand tubes @ 60 lbs a piece.  

For a Custom it MAY not be stiff enough in front unless you have Z71 package or better shocks etc. 

Off topic All the sudden this site is wrapping wide on display is that happening to others or my browser? 

Its funny.  GM's dealer training on the 2.7 when it came out, they mentioned the lesser engine weight makes it perfect for carrying a blade up front.  The L3B is 80lbs less than the 4.3 alone, so no doubt its much lighter than the 5.3.    

However.  2.7T has no plow prep available.  There are two reasons I can come up with.  The shutters is a negligible factor, the issue is CAC performance.  GM saw this on 17-19 L5P trucks in the K2 body.  With a blade up front, especially when driven with it straight and at low speeds while plowing, there is no airflow over the CAC.  As a result, they set a CAC efficiency code because the ECM isn't seeing a proper temperature drop from the CAC inlet to the outlet temp sensors. 

The other issue I see is the CAC mounting area could interfere with plow mounts.  

All these trucks are 3800lbs GFAWR.  The highest plow weight GM allows on 5.3s with VYU Plow prep is up to 500lbs for a regular cab long box.  Plenty of FAWR left over on a 2.7T, and plenty of power, so no reason it "couldn't" push snow.    

Edited by newdude
  • Thanks 1

On 7/1/2022 at 8:11 AM, silveradosid said:

apparently our 2.7's do have a possible flaw https://gm-techlink.com/?p=16219

Is it just me or do those assemblies look like they were stamped from Libby's can scrap such as was the case of the China made 1950's friction toys I played with as a child. :nonod: What kind of nonsense it that? 😡

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Is it just me or do those assemblies look like they were stamped from Libby's can scrap such as was the case of the China made 1950's friction toys I played with as a child. :nonod: What kind of nonsense it that? 😡

Hey we had to keep the costs low.....GM    Seriously I thight the same thing and then instead of laughing I realized I own one. 😬

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, customboss said:

Hey we had to keep the costs low.....GM    Seriously I thight the same thing and then instead of laughing I realized I own one. 😬

Ya know if it were not for engineering like this the aftermarket wouldn't exist. 😉 

• Haha 1

Love the 2.7 but damn I’m getting nervous. In the 2 years I’ve had the truck I’ve had to have the MAF replaced and the EVAP valve or whatever. Now my engine randomly idles a little rough and yesterday I put it in park and the damn thing kept revving. Nothing was touching the pedal 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Mike Borowski said:

Love the 2.7 but damn I’m getting nervous. In the 2 years I’ve had the truck I’ve had to have the MAF replaced and the EVAP valve or whatever. Now my engine randomly idles a little rough and yesterday I put it in park and the damn thing kept revving. Nothing was touching the pedal 

Mike, the design will idle up for cooling and emissions. I’ve noticed a higher idle when I’m short cycling it on and off in town and it’s warm out. No codes and it’s not super high idle. Maybe 1000 RPM for a few seconds. 

Was MAF sensor replaced before or after you installed the oiled K&N airfilter?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, customboss said:

Mike, the design will idle up for cooling and emissions. I’ve noticed a higher idle when I’m short cycling it on and off in town and it’s warm out. No codes and it’s not super high idle. Maybe 1000 RPM for a few seconds. 

Was MAF sensor replaced before or after you installed the oiled K&N airfilter?

any idea why the engine would rev in park?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mike Borowski said:

Those are like the most trivial things I could think of. Don't over analyze the truck. None of those seem to be engine related either.

Rough idle isn't good but I'm sure there is a reason whether good or bad.

• Like 1