2.7 Turbo 4 Fan Club

It's my first post.  Howdy.

I don't know much about E85, diesel engines or REO (except for that one rock band) but you can add me to the 2.7 fan club.  I just took delivery of a 2022 Silverado LT with the 2.7T HO.

I read this whole thread.  Mostly looking for serious posts about why people appreciate the motor or fair criticism of same.  Thanks to the folks who posted up thoughtful and informative posts. 

It is not a V8 and doesn't pretend to be.  It's not a diesel but it almost thinks it is.  I really like the low RPM power delivery.  The motor is sort of in its own niche. 

The truck drives smooth and nice, and gets better mileage than most other stuff I've had (K1500, F150, a few Expeditions 5.4L and 3.5 Ecoboost).

No issues so far (knock on wood).  Our plan is to pull a 6000 lb trailer.  Now we'll have to see how it holds up.

New 2022 Silverado.jpg

New 2022 Silverado Dash.jpg

• Like 3

This 2.7 turbo 4 works well.  Imagine if GM made it in a straight 6 cylinder!  Man the possibilities! 

Horsepower TV took an 300 Ford straight 6 that was stock, 88hp and 217tq, put a better flowing head and a few other things and a turbo and the final result was 517hp and 597tq at 4,300 rpm. 

It can be done and imagine the power if they just added two cylinders to the 2.7 and how it is developed with the variable cam. 

Edited by Black02Silverado
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, customboss said:

Wish they would do FTIR and KF water,GC fuels. I guarantee you the fuels dilution is at least 1% or higher. 

Please elaborate. Is there a different lab that would do a better test? If the fuel content is over 1% why would Blackstone say it is less than 0.5%? This is a concern I have so more information would be appreciated. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CoolHandWayne said:

Please elaborate. Is there a different lab that would do a better test? If the fuel content is over 1% why would Blackstone say it is less than 0.5%? This is a concern I have so more information would be appreciated. 

Contact Black02Silverado 

He offers a ISO certified TUNER or ADVANCED  oil analysis service that will get the lab work I recommend.  Blackstone is using technologies that worked well in 1960 but you need better water reading than crackle test they do, better fuel reading than open cup flash testing they do, and a full FTIR run that shows oxidation, nitration, anti-wear, sulfation, glycol, soot. 

Even their TBN, TAN, and viscosities are limited.  He offers all that and vis at 40C and 100C so you can really tell whats going on in the oil and engine. 

I have posted some oil analysis results in this thread check them out and compare and contrast to the data you got. 

Also Nick will have your data the same day it hits the lab. Nearly real time for oil analysis. No one else offers that. 

Nick is a site sponsor so he's the real deal. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Gamer Flash said:

It's my first post.  Howdy.

I don't know much about E85, diesel engines or REO (except for that one rock band) but you can add me to the 2.7 fan club.  I just took delivery of a 2022 Silverado LT with the 2.7T HO.

I read this whole thread.  Mostly looking for serious posts about why people appreciate the motor or fair criticism of same.  Thanks to the folks who posted up thoughtful and informative posts. 

It is not a V8 and doesn't pretend to be.  It's not a diesel but it almost thinks it is.  I really like the low RPM power delivery.  The motor is sort of in its own niche. 

The truck drives smooth and nice, and gets better mileage than most other stuff I've had (K1500, F150, a few Expeditions 5.4L and 3.5 Ecoboost).

No issues so far (knock on wood).  Our plan is to pull a 6000 lb trailer.  Now we'll have to see how it holds up.

New 2022 Silverado.jpg

New 2022 Silverado Dash.jpg

Wow that display is easier on my old eyes than the 22' LTD Custom Trail Boss I have.  Welcome!  Nice Truck. 

Couple of observations to update from my 13500 miles so far with the L3B.  Have a Synthetic Advantage Advanced analysis which will be test 4 about to hit the lab today I will share here.  

In a recent 3500 mile trip to Michigan and back to Colorado I used my scanner and tried various fuels to see how this engine behaves.  I have some background in R&D engine testing from a fuels and lubricants POV.  

The active cylinder management is disabled when selecting tow mode. Now I only have one mode to change shift points but when I did change to tow all 4 are firing.  I may be wrong and if someone knows for sure say so, but the two cylinders never stopped firing in TOW.  This observation if correct would have me use TOW in town or starting out on a pull but switch back at cruise to normal shift and see if AFM drops to two cylinders.   One fellow here was not happy with 11 mpg towing in Missouri and that may be why if he was in TOW mode the whole time. 

I used a qt of oil in 6978 miles and 8% OLM reading, running Amsoil OE 5w30. Will get my second free oil change with Mobil1 5w30 Monday.  The steel rings in the L3B are diesel stout and may need more seating time than I thought at first.  The usage was not notable until we started the trip and I ran hard to get to Kansas City 75-80 mph.  In that leg running 87 octane we saw 19.6 mpg. 

I tested VP racing 91 octane 100% gasoline and saw 19.8 mpg. 

This engine needs 87 octane ideally. In my mountain market 85 is normal regular and I ran it in winter. I do NOT tow.  The ideal fuel would be CENEX in 88 octane but I can't get that.  Maverik here has E15 that is at least 86 octane and can be 88 depending on ethanol blend feedstock they buy from Phillips 66.  That fuel seems to run nearly perfectly in this design.  If I was towing 6000 lbs consistently I would start at 87 and if hot and hard pulls up hills or mountains use at least 91.  

NOTE when this unit is on 2 cylinders the timing goes to 0 basically.   Otherwise high 40's no stress. Will pull back to 0 and as much as -5 on 87 E10. 

E15 stops nearly all pulling of timing.  88 octane and above will lower or eliminate timing pull until you are in 2  cylinder mode.  Above 88 octane for this unit unless under high heat and a lot of boost is probably a waste for daily driving. 

My overall average is over 20 mpg since delivery in November.  Amsoil OE 5w30 seems to do best for smoothness and stable oil pressures on a variable pump thats all over the place on cold start...LOL   I did consume it and did not consume the other three oils tested to date. OEM, QS full syn, Mobil1 but they all were thicker on start based on oil pressure and sound was louder than Amsoil OE.  

After I get some miles on the new Mobil 1 from dealer I will change to Amsoil Signature Series 5w30 and probably run that for the remainder of its life here in the mountains. 

Gamer Flash you are spot on about its TQ and its instantaneous with very little throttle on low RPM. 

I can get consistently 26 mpg here on 87 octane to Alamosa on 160. Coming back I see consistent 22 mpg.  I drive it 60 mph around here and I am off road for real for about 7 miles in and out of the hacienda. 

Cheers

• Like 2

21 hours ago, customboss said:

At one of my old gigs at Cummins we purpose built a Turbo 4 2.8L E85 engine I have shared links for here and we went deep into all you mention and it worked better than using a diesel or gasoline design with ECM and injectors changes. 

This could also be said if you had instead built a clean sheet  gas motor. Right? 🤔

What design can not be improved? Point being that success in doing so does not make flex fuel motors as an adaptation somehow without the benefit they were intended to deliver.

You knew I would 'trigger' on BETTER when you wrote it :P  This one is but 2 liters. Is it, your 4.8 Turbo, BETTER than this? (Note flat 600 Nm (442 lbs/ft) torque between 2K and 7K rpm.) Also note this gas motor does not have a throttle nor is it throttled by fuel. FREE VALVE. 

Go ahead, rabbit hole the word better. :crackup:

Okay, okay....I'm just play'n around here. We are NOT getting Detroit's 'best'. We all know that. But this 2.7 seems to be next level stuff and you all know when this motor first appeared...I was not a fan of even the idea. Who knew...right? I'm still not impressed with its fuel economy. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, customboss said:

Contact Black02Silverado 

He offers a ISO certified TUNER or ADVANCED  oil analysis service that will get the lab work I recommend.  Blackstone is using technologies that worked well in 1960 but you need better water reading than crackle test they do, better fuel reading than open cup flash testing they do, and a full FTIR run that shows oxidation, nitration, anti-wear, sulfation, glycol, soot. 

Even their TBN, TAN, and viscosities are limited.  He offers all that and vis at 40C and 100C so you can really tell whats going on in the oil and engine. 

I have posted some oil analysis results in this thread check them out and compare and contrast to the data you got. 

Also Nick will have your data the same day it hits the lab. Nearly real time for oil analysis. No one else offers that. 

Nick is a site sponsor so he's the real deal. 

Thanks. I will contact him. 

• Like 1

Test 4  arrived at lab this AM and just got data an hour ago. 

Using  Amsoil OE from Nick with the last 3500 miles being brutal hot high

speed ops to get to memorial service for family member.  I never intended to run this long on Amsoil OE but its like new. 

Best fuels dilute reading to date. 0.6% via GC vs 1.7% test 3. 

Only service was air filter change @ 8271 miles,  tire rotations and airing DOWN the rear tires to 35 psi vs 41 cold. Fronts 41 cold.   

Green good highlights, Blue notation,Yellow almost bad and Pink really bad... LOL 

Going in Monday to get last free Mobil1 5w30 oil change and will get machine pump out and installation of Amsoil ATL trans fluid, front and rear differentials

differentials to  Amsoil SVG 75w90.   Ordered 25 qts of fluids on Saturday from Synthetic Advantage ( Nick ) Black02Silverado and got the products in time for mondays

services, delivered TODAY!  Fantastic service Nick, thanks. 

Spoke to my dealer and they will cover me under warranty vs the mobil 1 HP ATF and non AC Delco GL's.  Service Mgr is an ex racer too.

Finding a good, COMPETENT dealer is gold. 

1046724997_unit580test4.png.925e9bf70d13786ebc3be8fb552ac514.png

Edited by customboss
add air filter replacement
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Black02Silverado said:

This 2.7 turbo 4 works well.  Imagine if GM made it in a straight 6 cylinder!  Man the possibilities! 

Horsepower TV took an 300 Ford straight 6 that was stock, 88hp and 217tq, put a better flowing head and a few other things and a turbo and the final result was 517hp and 597tq at 4,300 rpm. 

It can be done and imagine the power if they just added two cylinders to the 2.7 and how it is developed with the variable cam. 

Doing quick math on the 2.7: 2720 cc, 680 cc per cylinder,  77.5 hp per cylinder and 107.5 ft/lbs torque per cylinder(2022 H.O.). Add two more cylinders and keep that output level and it would be 4080 cc (4.1 liter) with 465 hp and 645 ft/lbs torque. 

That would push the frame and driveline components up into 3/4 ton territory me thinks. Adding 1 more cylinder would make it 3400 cc (3.4 liter) with 388 hp and 538 ft/lbs torque. 

And wow what a thread, thanks for all this info! Much like Gamer Flash I'll be same with a 22 custom but 3000 lb trailer instead. Got just about 500 miles on it so far, love the power delivery, silence, and fuel efficiency so far. 

Edited by 4banger
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, customboss said:

Test 4  arrived at lab this AM and just got data an hour ago. 

Using  Amsoil OE from Nick with the last 3500 miles being brutal hot high

speed ops to get to memorial service for family member.  I never intended to run this long on Amsoil OE but its like new. 

Best fuels dilute reading to date. 0.6% via GC vs 1.7% test 3. 

Only service was air filter change @ 8271 miles,  tire rotations and airing DOWN the rear tires to 35 psi vs 41 cold. Fronts 41 cold.   

Green good highlights, Blue notation,Yellow almost bad and Pink really bad... LOL 

Going in Monday to get last free Mobil1 5w30 oil change and will get machine pump out and installation of Amsoil ATL trans fluid, front and rear differentials

differentials to  Amsoil SVG 75w90.   Ordered 25 qts of fluids on Saturday from Synthetic Advantage ( Nick ) Black02Silverado and got the products in time for mondays

services, delivered TODAY!  Fantastic service Nick, thanks. 

Spoke to my dealer and they will cover me under warranty vs the mobil 1 HP ATF and non AC Delco GL's.  Service Mgr is an ex racer too.

Finding a good, COMPETENT dealer is gold. 

Very curious to hear your results with the Amsoil atf in terms of mpg. I have been planning to do that but the cost is deterring me. If I can't get at least 1 mpg out of it I don't think it's worth changing it out too early. 

Edited by CoolHandWayne
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, CoolHandWayne said:

Very curious to hear your results with the Amsoil atf in terms of mpg. I have been planning to do that but the cost is deterring me. If I can't get at least 1 mpg out of it I don't think it's worth changing it out too early. 

I can't say you would get an increase, but some of my customers have seen and increase in MPG.  Changing over all drive train fluids to AMSOIL can't hurt but only help.  Especially in protection. 

If you sign up as a Preferred Customer, the cost is 25% off the retail price.  Plus free shipping on orders over $100 and like now, up until the 28th of June, AMSOIL is running a PROMO you get free shipping on orders of $49 or more.

Let me know and I can get you set up. :)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, diyer2 said:

I have known about Amsoil for years, just wouldn't pay the price. Now having used it I believe it's worth every penny. 

Test 4 above in pretty stressful running compared to the earlier 3 tests cements my confidence vs 3 other oil brands/chemistries. 

In fact the Amsoil OE looks more robust than Mobil1 Advanced 5w30 in 3800 more miles.  You're use of OE is well founded. 

• Like 1

Your truck custom, but I would pass on the free Mobil oil. To new, to expensive of a truck to not use Amsoil OE after the UOA. Our vehicles get used harder than most due to mountain driving, pulling grades and colder temps. It has been 45 here the last 3 mornings.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1