2.7 Turbo 4 Fan Club

1 hour ago, Low Elevation said:

Well they were the first to crack the new corvette ecu. So I would say this is the real deal. 
https://gmauthority.com/blog/2022/05/trifecta-becomes-first-company-to-natively-tune-c8-corvette-ecu/

Until GM says Trifecta is a partner I’m suspect. I retired in 2014 from Cummins and military grade encryption wasn’t being defeated by outside programmers nor have I seen anyone do it except backdoor patch piggyback systems that usually fail on new GM products. I’m all ears and eyes. Thanks for sharing. 

14 hours ago, customboss said:

The air intake is located upper left hand side ( drivers side under hood facing up).  Turbo air flow restriction NOT A PLAYER. I have pictures on this site of my trail boss buried in snow up to 

lower head lights and doing just fine. 

I don't plow but live in high snow area at 9000' msl in Southern CO. The front suspension is plenty 

tough to handle a once a week snow plowing.

You will need counter weight in bed as like majority of GM trucks its sprung too light in back over locking differential for my 2022 LTD

Trail Boss. I ended up needing about 720 lbs of sand tubes @ 60 lbs a piece.  

For a Custom it MAY not be stiff enough in front unless you have Z71 package or better shocks etc. 

Off topic All the sudden this site is wrapping wide on display is that happening to others or my browser? 

Thanks for the replies. I probably won’t be plowing with it this first winter but maybe next once it is broken in and I’m not terrified to put a scuff on it anymore. I will definitely. post of how it handles it. 

• Like 1

Update on the E85, engine light is back off, I suspect maybe the ECU finally adjusted enough in the 100 or so miles I've driven to not “run lean”. I will say there is a noticeable difference in bottom end torque, the truck on 87 feels torquey, but theres a difference on E85 that you can feel, I barely pass 2500rpm’s and the truck gets right up to speed.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Slvrado said:

Update on the E85, engine light is back off, I suspect maybe the ECU finally adjusted enough in the 100 or so miles I've driven to not “run lean”. I will say there is a noticeable difference in bottom end torque, the truck on 87 feels torquey, but theres a difference on E85 that you can feel, I barely pass 2500rpm’s and the truck gets right up to speed.

Light off in 100 miles? That’s really telling if you have over 50% ETOH content. Makes me think there is a ethanol fuel map embedded then. Hmmm.  Thanks for sharing. I can’t get E85 but when I can I’m gonna back up your testing. 

• Like 1

Yeah has to be over 50% ETOH in the tank especially at 15 gallons. Tired getting a family member with the same truck (2.7l) to run e85 with me and gather more data, but he called the dealership and “spoke with a mechanic” who said not to. So i guess ill be the only data point for now. I will say paying $3.99 for gas again is nice lol 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Slvrado said:

Yeah has to be over 50% ETOH in the tank especially at 15 gallons. Tired getting a family member with the same truck (2.7l) to run e85 with me and gather more data, but he called the dealership and “spoke with a mechanic” who said not to. So i guess ill be the only data point for now. I will say paying $3.99 for gas again is nice lol 

Your mpg will be interesting post 100 mile MIL code then disappearing. 

1 hour ago, Slvrado said:

I was down to 11mpg all city with light on, since its gone off ive jumped up to 15mpg average

Do have a scanner to view dynamically?  I would like to see if you had a permanent MIL code set, the STFT and LTFT and timing at different RPM and loads.

If the MIL system corrected and extinguished the the light with no historical MIL code set then our L3B's are setup to correct for Ethanol fuels above 15% with no issues. 

Talk about a cheap improvement to HP, TQ and cleanliness!  

On 6/26/2022 at 2:14 PM, customboss said:

Do have a scanner to view dynamically?  I would like to see if you had a permanent MIL code set, the STFT and LTFT and timing at different RPM and loads.

If the MIL system corrected and extinguished the the light with no historical MIL code set then our L3B's are setup to correct for Ethanol fuels above 15% with no issues. 

Talk about a cheap improvement to HP, TQ and cleanliness!  

Everything past about 2001 is E-15 capable. 

https://www.sae.org/publications/technical-papers/content/2017-26-0072/

Edited by Grumpy Bear
  • Thanks 1

I do not have a scanner, but the light did come back. It was 109 yesterday and I was driving the truck pretty hard so it could have attributed to it. Ill see if i can barrow a scanner from a GM buddy and log some data.

• Like 1

On 6/25/2022 at 10:17 PM, customboss said:

Until GM says Trifecta is a partner I’m suspect. I retired in 2014 from Cummins and military grade encryption wasn’t being defeated by outside programmers nor have I seen anyone do it except backdoor patch piggyback systems that usually fail on new GM products. I’m all ears and eyes. Thanks for sharing. 

Side note, but military grade encryption? That's funny. The military doesn't come up with encryption algos, the computer science guys do. Military just uses standard off the shelf encryption algorithms, your bank or even this website are protected by the same stuff.

And while the encryption algorithm is not breakable, the truck comes with everything it needs to communicate which means the encryption keys probably have to be stored on the truck (much like a dvd player is crackable). Or there will be another way to crack in since all these devices don't operate on encrypted streams, they need to decrypt at some point in order to read the actual communications.

There is always a way in, it's just obfuscated a little more than in the past.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, the wanderer said:

Side note, but military grade encryption? That's funny. The military doesn't come up with encryption algos, the computer science guys do. Military just uses standard off the shelf encryption algorithms, your bank or even this website are protected by the same stuff.

And while the encryption algorithm is not breakable, the truck comes with everything it needs to communicate which means the encryption keys probably have to be stored on the truck (much like a dvd player is crackable). Or there will be another way to crack in since all these devices don't operate on encrypted streams, they need to decrypt at some point in order to read the actual communications.

There is always a way in, it's just obfuscated a little more than in the past.

“Military-grade” refers to AES-256 encryption. This standard was established in order to be in compliance with the Federal Information Processing Standards (FIPS) that govern the handling of sensitive data. It offers 128-bit block encryption via the use of cryptographic keys.

Having said that I found out from my GM service manager who also races a Cadillac LTA with larger than stock twin turbo 6.2L V8 that there are 3 companies including Trifecta who has done the work to get into the GM ECU's and mod them.  So I was wrong about that.