LONG TUBE HEADERS AND Y PIPE

I'm looking to long tube headers and Y pipe for my 2014 Silverado 5.3.

What brand do you think have the better price/quality ?

I'm very interested in the Speed Engineering kit:

https://www.speed-engineering.com/shop-by-vehicle/2014-2017-gm-trucks/exhaust/headers-y-pipes/silverado-sierra-1-7-8-headers-y-pipe-2013-4-8l-5-3l-6-0l-6-2l-truck-suv.html

What do you think about ?

Any experiences ?

And most important: the headers fits good or I have to be mad like usual to install them ?

Thanks in advance

I installed mine 2 weeks ago. Have the headers and y pipe v-banded to ensure no leaks. That is my only complaint is the slip fittings leak and have a little play. Other than that install was a breeze. My setup is 1 7/8 headers, y pipe, 3.5" exhaust into a Borla XR1

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, EaglesZ71 said:

I have the KOOKS long tubes and the y pipe with high flow cats best mod I have done besides my supercharger

John

Which brand of supercharger do you have ?

Your engine is 5.3 or 6.2 ?

1 minute ago, RN12CT said:

Which brand of supercharger do you have ?

Your engine is 5.3 or 6.2 ?

I have the Magnuson on mine.

5.3 Magnuson supercharger, KOOKS long tubes, Kooks y pipe with high flow cats, Corsa cat back, air raid cold air intake.

dyno tune 449rwhp/459tq, stock was 292rwhp/327tq

John

27 minutes ago, EaglesZ71 said:

I have the Magnuson on mine.

5.3 Magnuson supercharger, KOOKS long tubes, Kooks y pipe with high flow cats, Corsa cat back, air raid cold air intake.

dyno tune 449rwhp/459tq, stock was 292rwhp/327tq

John

It is very interesting, also for the bypass valve and the good price, do you have the TVS1900 or the TVS2300 ?
My truck have the Flex fuel sensor, do you know if it works good with it ?

Edited by RN12CT

5 minutes ago, RN12CT said:

It is very interesting, also for the bypass valve and the good price, do you have the TVS1900 or the TVS2300 ?
My truck have the Flex fuel sensor, do you know if it works good with it ?

I have the tvs1900

Mine to was flex fuel but now I have to run 93 with the tune I have now.

Thank you 

John 

1 hour ago, EaglesZ71 said:

I have the tvs1900

Mine to was flex fuel but now I have to run 93 with the tune I have now.

Thank you 

John 

Thank you for the info ! :thumbs:

Kooks, American Racing Headers and Stainless Works are the best for these trucks. There are cheaper options like the ones you showed, OBX, and PaceSetter but they don't always use the best 304 tubing, it will often be much thinner than the first three I listed, fitment will be poor at best, while KOOKS, ARH or SW will fit perfect and last a lifetime. 

But you are comparing $500 headers and Y-pipe to a $1,500 set, so there is a big jump there. If you are going cat-less, you will also need to have a remote tuner or dyno tune done after the install to turn off the Check Engine Light (CEL) You were talking about a turbo before, decided that maybe a supercharger might fit your build a bit better?

• Thanks 1

Nothing wrong with Speed Engineering headers at all.  If you can afford to step up one notch, I would go with Texas Speed, the build quality is slightly better, and they use seamless primary tubes, so they may last a little longer.

Edited by qwank
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, RN12CT said:

I want to totally delete the cats, I already deleted the muffler cutting it away, I just keep the resonator.

It's gonna be loud as hell lol.

Prepare for loads of terrible sounding rasp and drone. Or just wear ear plugs.

• Like 1

On 18/4/2019 at 6:12 PM, L86 All Terrain said:

Kooks, American Racing Headers and Stainless Works are the best for these trucks. There are cheaper options like the ones you showed, OBX, and PaceSetter but they don't always use the best 304 tubing, it will often be much thinner than the first three I listed, fitment will be poor at best, while KOOKS, ARH or SW will fit perfect and last a lifetime. 

But you are comparing $500 headers and Y-pipe to a $1,500 set, so there is a big jump there. If you are going cat-less, you will also need to have a remote tuner or dyno tune done after the install to turn off the Check Engine Light (CEL) You were talking about a turbo before, decided that maybe a supercharger might fit your build a bit better?

Yes, I'm still thinking about but reading the comments and knowing about the bypass valve, I think that maybe the supercharger is a bit better for a daily drive also considering the easy installation compared with a turbo, especially for our mechanics that don't know LS engines very good.

Do you can suggest me a good tuner ?

Edited by RN12CT