Muffler swap with J pipe

Looking to get more rumble out of my '18 5.3 without drone or V4 chop. Thought about either deleting the muffler and adding a J pipe to reduce/eliminate any drone in the 1300-1800 range or swapping the muffler for more open design, thought something from flowmaster, borla, or magnaflow in addition to the J pipe. I'd like to not mess with AFM though.

Any thoughts on the effectiveness of a J pipe or mufflers that would give that bit of rumble on acceleration and startup?

My current setup is long tube headers, y pipe, 3.5" exhaust into a borla xr1. V4 really isn't that bad compared to the normal drone cruising. My v4 will be turned off once I get my truck tuned tomorrow. The j pipe might help with the v4, but I can't say for sure. Give it a shot. Regardless the j pipe will eliminate the drone in that RPM range if you make it long enough. 32" long and 2 1/2" pipe is what I think I might go with.

Here's everything you need to know about adding a J-Pipe to your vehicle:

20170804_155218.jpg

"Once again, grasshoppers, the "simplified" formula for determining the length of a Helmholtz quarter-wave chamber dealing with the elimination of a known resonance frequency is as follows:

The speed of sound in feet per second (say, 1072feet/second)
divided by
The frequency you wish to eliminate (say, 128cycles/second)
equals
8.375feet/cycle (numbers divide/seconds cancel out)
This is the length of a full wave form; much too big to work with under a vehicle.
To get a quarter-wave length, divide 8.373feet/cycle by 4 to get 2.09373feet/quarter-wave length.
Multiply 2.09373feet/quarter-wave by 12inches/foot to get the chamber length of 25.125".

Tube diameter does not affect frequency, only the amount of attenuation.
This worked back in 2009, and it still works today.

Be sure to use your own target frequency in the formula.
The speed of sound figure is not going to vary enough to worry about. We're not rocket scientists.

REMEMBER: Be sure to use your own target frequency in the formula."

Edited by BigBlueLB756

I put J pipes on the wife's G8 with Solo cat-back system. The J-Pipe had 2 pieces to it so it was length adjustable like a trumpet slide so you could tune it in.

Do yourself as favor and turn off V4 instead.

Edited by Pearl2017

16 hours ago, Pearl2017 said:

I put J pipes on the wife's G8 with Solo cat-back system. The J-Pipe had 2 pieces to it so it was length adjustable like a trumpet slide so you could tune it in.

Do yourself as favor and turn off V4 instead.

I've seen it talked about elsewhere, but does using the OBD2 module affect the warranty? 

55 minutes ago, Farmerman1379 said:

I've seen it talked about elsewhere, but does using the OBD2 module affect the warranty? 

According to Range no it won’t effect the warranty. If you take your truck in for regular maintenance just throw it in the center console before you get there and plug it back in when you pick it up. If taking it in for major repairs, check engine light, recalls, ect. take it out of the truck and remove it before driving there. Range says 10 key cycles so that it will cycle between V4 & V8 if they happen to check that it has been.

5 hours ago, Racindave said:

Are those flapper delete?

Yes. The flapper is part of the muffler. The only one to have this is the Chevy Performance exhaust which is a Borla system between the Touring and S-Type.

• Like 1

On 4/27/2019 at 11:40 AM, MikeNH said:

I have the Borla S-Type on the truck. Installed for a week. Even in 4-cyl mode there is no noticeable drone. I'm quite impressed with it.

I just don't want to drop the money on a full cat back system. Rather either swap mufflers and/or delete muffler. If there's drone I would put a J pipe in ahead of the current muffler location.