Amsoil for engine and tranny ?

I have a 2017 Sierra with a 5.3.  I have had free oil changes for the last two years and have used the dealer's supplied Dexos.  My engine and transmission are working great.  I have read that many people hare having issues with AFM and hard shifting trannies.  I have use Amsiol signature in all my other vehicles.  Has any one switched to Amsoil and experienced problems?  I am wondering if I should leave well enough alone.

One shouldn't have any issues using AMSOIL.  I have not heard of any and I'm curious to know if anyone that has an 8sp and has the shudder issue if they have tried using AMSOIL's ATL to see if it made any difference.

I haven't used Amsoil but my 2015 1500 5.3 just turned 45K and although I have only owned for a year, I pretty much strictly use it for towing our 27' Airstream trailer, so I opted to have the tranny service done. I have only driven it home from the dealer, but it sure seems to be shifting much smoother. So, I think the tranny service in general is probably a good idea doing before the suggested 90K on the service manual. Amsoil wasn't an option at the dealer but it sounds like these Silverado owners and even the OP swear by it. 

I have had AMSOIL Signature Series 0W-20 since about 5,000 miles. I also changed over to AMSOIL in the transmission (8-sp), transfer case and both differentials.  Used nothing but AMSOIL for over 30 yrs.  I will never use anything else, only the best if good enough for me.  Even use it in my JD X738, RZR S 900, lawn mower and week wacker. 

I was once an Amsoil dealer among others. Back in the early 90s when we were running test we used among others a 88 Ford 7.3 one ton with a C-6 transmission as a test. This truck was used most hauling a 5TH wheel camper. At 80K miles the transmission needed rebuild. At the same time a banks kit was installed boosting HP. An overdrive box was added to the transmission. Along with the camper we started using it as a backup equipment hauler. Heavier loads. The only change to the transmission was Amsoil synthetic transmission fluid. At 285K it was traded in with no more rebuilds. Made me a believer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 1SLOW1500 said:

Amsoils is 2or3 best you can run. But no the fluid isn't the reason the teams has issues so don't expect the fluid to fix or prevent and issues.

I agree brother.. Amsoil is a very good product.. It's not going to fix or prevent any oil related issues though. 

I agree brother.. Amsoil is a very good product.. It's not going to fix or prevent any oil related issues though. 

Prevention of oil related issues is the point, brother. Otherwise just put in cheap stuff, as I thought I was pointing out.

• Haha 1

Some great input here thanks everyone.  This is the first vehicle I have owned that has AFM and direct injection.  Also the numerous posts indicating tranny problems has me a bit nervous about changing anything because my AFM and transmission are super smooth.  I would prefer to switch to amsoil on my next oil change this summer. 

Issues are many but the automotive world is in some agreement that this dexros VI is it's own enemy. They set it to be good to 240* then the engineers set the trans to run around 209*. First and many agree most important is get that temp down. 104* is minimal base operational temp. Not that lower hurts at all. Never more than 180* max.
Then as I have said before the afm and DOD cause so many problems. The stall converter should be much better and then the tran will hold with no issues.
To much computer control. Burned up clutches then will destroy the best fluids and heat up super fast.
If it was me I would buy a good stall converter, modified thermostat and external trans cooler. These trans are crazy expensive.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, KARNUT said:

Prevention of oil related issues is the point, brother. Otherwise just put in cheap stuff, as I thought I was pointing out.

Cheep stuff?  Anything but Amsoil is ?

1 hour ago, 1SLOW1500 said:

Issues are many but the automotive world is in some agreement that this dexros VI is it's own enemy. They set it to be good to 240* then the engineers set the trans to run around 209*. First and many agree most important is get that temp down. 104* is minimal base operational temp. Not that lower hurts at all. Never more than 180* max.
Then as I have said before the afm and DOD cause so many problems. The stall converter should be much better and then the tran will hold with no issues.
To much computer control. Burned up clutches then will destroy the best fluids and heat up super fast.
If it was me I would buy a good stall converter, modified thermostat and external trans cooler. These trans are crazy expensive.

When it comes to cooling. I see light bars covering transmission coolers.. Wouldn't this have an affect?  

A little but not enough to make the difference. The trans lines go to radiator so when that is 180* plus hard to expect the trans fluid to be less.
I am told I must remove those line and install largest cool I can. Also nothing mounted on radiator. And D6 fluid.

When you.spend 10k on a performance trans. $400 for cooler and lines is no big deal.0eb927e460a0d176c4dfcf8989797108.jpg20cd2d6ca16f2cd98e0c97292c1bfc4b.jpgf472483db350bec8b07b7a463e0e92a0.jpg2beba2807823b3245c8c1de93d7dab21.jpg52eaecb27402a3491fc02b262e1fc2b2.jpg