Speculation on what happened...

Snowcamo

Looks to me like he took a hit on the rear, and it sheared off the bed bolts and/or ripped the bed and pushed it up against the cab.  Really wouldn't take too much of a hit to accomplish that.  Those are the weak points when the body only is hit.  The bumper and frame look o.k. because the bed took the brunt of the hit.  

Looks to me like he took a hit on the rear, and it sheared off the bed bolts and/or ripped the bed and pushed it up against the cab.  Really wouldn't take too much of a hit to accomplish that.  Those are the weak points when the body only is hit.  The bumper and frame look o.k. because the bed took the brunt of the hit.  
Man if that was all id swap that bed in a heart beat.
I wonder if the insurance totalled it.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

Sorry had to break up images. 
so trailer heavy truck goes over hill and the hitch fights the frame and that right there is the weak spot I would say. Looks 100% the same right? 
Yeah this is along the lines of what i was thinking happened. Cant believe the frame would bend like that.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

I don't think rear end I say like the truck in pics I posted but even more extreme to get the tailgate dented. Tail gate and bumper damage isn't enough to justify the frame or even the bed to look like that. Those should have folded up before the frame folded or the bed ripped up.
Maybe trying to pull a stump with the hitch. Front of truck in the air bouncing, made the lower end go low and the heavy end get back to the ground with just that one fold in the frame.
I have seen truck competitions where they ripped big beautiful truck in pieces. Expensive hobby.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I bet it was a car that hit it maybe a semi. Whatever it was it low mostly getting the hitch. It could have been the hood heaving up or the cowel that got the tailgate. He could have backed into a low wall at a higher rate of speed maybe.

My buddy had similar damage on his 2500hd when he was rearend at +50mph by a car. Very little damage to the bumper and none to his bed, but his hitch was straight down. Plus it tore his frame.

It takes a ton of power and traction to bend the frame on a truck pulling something. Even if that was the case how did the tailgate get damaged? The hitch is just bent down to far for me to think this is the case. I'm not even sure the frame is bent in between the cab and bed. Thats where it bends when your pulling hard. The truck looks to be sitting pretty level, so maybe the the frame bend by the hitch pulling the bed down in the back

We will likely never know what really happened.