In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

DirtyAndy

Does GM warranty chrome wheels?

Bought my 2018 last August with 3,200 miles on it(loaner truck- titled new). It now has ~13,000 miles on it and my chrome wheels have some light pitting and chrome flaking off.

Just curious because less than a year of ownership and only 10k put on by me and the wheels are already starting to look not good.

Until earlier this year they would almost certainly cover them. GM started a new program where the dealership takes a picture and sends to GM and they decide. Dealer has no say. If they are acually peeling you are probably ok though. If it's a "no", don't hate on the dealer.

Same with seat covers and mirrors.

Ok. I’ll at least find out. Appreciate the response!

Same with seat covers and mirrors.
The chrome ones hold up a lot better than the colored ones.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk

Posted (edited)

Too much abuse. I would tend to agree with GM on that. GM paid for a LOT of repairs that should never have been warranty. Driver scuffs curb, screwdriver in pocket pokes hole in seat, driver clips garage door with mirror, etc. Oh, geez, he's a good customer or he's a buddy of the owner or the service manager. Lets take care of that under warranty. Seen it many times.

Edited by tbarn

4 hours ago, DirtyAndy said:

Bought my 2018 last August with 3,200 miles on it(loaner truck- titled new). It now has ~13,000 miles on it and my chrome wheels have some light pitting and chrome flaking off.

Just curious because less than a year of ownership and only 10k put on by me and the wheels are already starting to look not good.

Possible winter salt damage?  Conspiracy theory here, Michigan is one of the largest salt mining states in the country, they ship salt to all of the upper mid-western and north-eastern states. So what's good for the Michigan salt miners is good for Detroit by speeding up the vehicle replacement cycle. There are alternatives to salting winter roads, I used to live in eastern Wa. state where they never used salt or brine on winter roads, sand and in later years they've used the corn based squirrel pee stuff.

His peeling wheels on a new truck...is bad press for GM and will further depress sales.

If you were thinking of buying a new GM, saw his crappy wheels and found out he owned the truck for less than a year...would you buy one?

We had a MILD winter. His wheels have not seen hardly any salt. My steel wheels are not even rusty and they went thru 3 winters of salt.

I do live in Illinois and Illinois does like to salt. The truck did get run through the car wash when I could. But I set out to give er a good hand wash yesterday and started working on the wheels and was pretty surprised to find chrome flaking off in spots. As for the slight pitting, I’m not sure if some chrome polish and a Mother’s ball will do the job or not.

I could understand if I had the truck for 2-3 years or if I had 50k+ miles(brake dust).

On 6/22/2019 at 2:51 PM, tbarn said:

Until earlier this year they would almost certainly cover them. GM started a new program where the dealership takes a picture and sends to GM and they decide. Dealer has no say. If they are acually peeling you are probably ok though. If it's a "no", don't hate on the dealer.

Good to know. My father in law is experiencing this on his 2016 Denali with chrome 22" wheels. I will let him know about this program...

Thanks!

Posted (edited)
On 6/22/2019 at 1:37 PM, DirtyAndy said:

you need to upload pics. GM uses PVD or powder coated chrome now, GM calls it "painted chrome" they don't use the old dipped copper & chrome plating process. I seriously doubt it is peeling, but yes paint does pit. the PVD chrome is extremely resilient to salt corrosion.

You might have aftermarket remake's that are plated chrome.  

Edited by camcamaro1991
  • Like 1

I’ll take pics when I get a chance to clean them up more. It’s been so damned hot here that I haven’t had the motivation to do it. It may just be stubborn brake dust.

I’d hate to think that someone swapped my wheels for afternarket at a dealership.

Finally getting around to this. These are all off of one wheel.

15498e08e7311983f28b581950a1cc5a.jpg

8bf3b754b004190d0ff1f582309fe149.jpg

56c593f9a7c7d693bd5e6f54cc35a496.jpg

6afa696cef2fd5b924f91655d8c8704a.jpg

Finally getting around to this. These are all off of one wheel.

15498e08e7311983f28b581950a1cc5a.jpg

8bf3b754b004190d0ff1f582309fe149.jpg

56c593f9a7c7d693bd5e6f54cc35a496.jpg

6afa696cef2fd5b924f91655d8c8704a.jpg

I have an 18 as well with the same wheels. I have no issues with the chrome. That should be covered under bumper to bumper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1