Can we talk about the omission of Adaptive Cruise Control

On 12/13/2019 at 10:05 AM, gearheadesw said:

Why do people suddenly not want to drive? All this driverless car crap, take the bus or train, then cab, see, you didn't drive.....

Just like computers. it will stop people thinking, just press buttons and go.

And AC in a house...with thermostat!

Where will it all end!!

• Like 2

Well, now what do I say?

It's human nature to like easy convenience, I'm guilty.

I feel as a species, we are depending on machines to do our thinking for us, and forgetting how to think of ourselves.

I used to remember so many phone numbers, now with the cell phone, just press a button and it calls, I don't remember phone numbers for crap anymore.....

• 5 weeks later...

Towing and or hauling significant loads are what this tool/truck is designed for so I understand why its not offered. I am not saying it wouldnt be nice for someone using it as a car on a road trip but again, that is not what it is designed for. Hauling significant weight makes adaptive cruise a pain in the backside, inefficient towing, and frankly not particularly safe.

Towing and or hauling significant loads are what this tool/truck is designed for so I understand why its not offered. I am not saying it wouldnt be nice for someone using it as a car on a road trip but again, that is not what it is designed for. Hauling significant weight makes adaptive cruise a pain in the backside, inefficient towing, and frankly not particularly safe.

I can see that from a towing perspective. But I still wish it had it. My Jag has it and I love it! I don’t feel it takes my attention away either. I love it for those times where the car ahead of you may be changing its speed just a few mph.

Heck, even if the person in front of me slows down 20 mph the car reacts perfectly to it. It’s just a nice convenient feature, and should be included on these expensive vehicles. It’s not like they don’t have the technology.

I wish it had it, make it an option worst case scenario. But should be standard feature

At the price point and with the competition offering it it should be there. The adaptive part can be shut off and used as normal cruise. It's inexcusable not having it available on a $80K truck. 

1500 didn't get it the first year (2019) with the new body style either.....

1500 has it available for 2020 ... so maybe there is hope for HD for 2021?

Fwiw, on 1500 it's not standard.  It's available on the higher trims. 

If you want GM's 'super cruise' -- the one that steers too -- it's still only available on some Cadillac's.

https://www.cadillac.com/world-of-cadillac/innovation/super-cruise

Nice to have lots of choices...

Everything that is made 'standard' has to be paid for by everyone -- even those that don't use/want it.

Edited by redwngr

8 hours ago, magnum74 said:

At the price point and with the competition offering it it should be there. The adaptive part can be shut off and used as normal cruise. It's inexcusable not having it available on a $80K truck. 

then don't buy one? 

On 1/14/2020 at 7:35 PM, BB&Chiveon said:

agree- cant turn it off on my yukon denali - hate driving it on cruise

You can switch between adaptive and regular cruise on the 2020 1500 pickups.

Switching Between ACC and Regular Cruise Control
To switch between ACC and regular cruise control, press and hold *.
A Driver Information Display (DIC) message displays.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Well, I bought one anyways, 2020 Denali 2500HD with every option....but man, I really am second guessing myself, I really want adaptive cruise. Holding out hope that an aftermarket solution, like comma.ai or if the 2022's(2021's don't) get it, someone figures out a retrofit.