The reasons I am disappointed in my 2019 Custom Trail boss

I have issues with my new truck, and I regret driving home with it a month ago for what are seemingly minor reasons, but have turned out to be practically deal breaking.

Traded in a 2016 V6 work truck Silverado, black with the black out package, 4v4 with locker.

left the deal with a 2019 Custom Trail boss with the 5.3 of course, satin steel

As much as I like the 2019 Silverado, I am really disappointed in the features that are missing from this Z71 custom trail boss, that came standard with my base model work truck...

the 2016 WT Silverado had the following :

BRIGHT H.I.D headlights

large storage compartment in the center fold down seat.

sunglass holder

multiple other storage compartments in the interior

Manual parking brake

manual transfer case lever near drivers right foot.

the 2019 Custom z71 Trail boss:

Does not have H.I.D headlamps, It does have terrible halogen headlamps.

Does not have a large storage copartment in the center fold down seat, it does have almost no storage at all except a small openly visible cubby on the center of the top dash and the 2 glove boxes.

Does not have a sunglass holder.

It does not have any other storage compartments

It does not have a manual parking break, it does have an annoying electric parking break that I have to wait for it to activate, deactivate before being able to drive off or get out.

It does not have a manual transfer case lever, it does have electronic transfer case buttons, that again, you have to wait for them to activate/deactive and even have to put the truck in neutral to activate/deactivate.

The lack of H.I.D's and the center seat storage have really made me consider this my last GM product, sure they gave me red recovery hooks, some decent tires, and a ghetto lift, but to be honest, It just isnt enough to offset losing certain options, I thought I could live without them, but after living without them for a month, I cant stand it, it bothers me so much and I want to get rid of the truck.

20190628_093747.jpg

Sorry, yea those things are annoying. 

I thought all the 2019's with bench seats had that flip down center console with storage inside? Or do you mean the one underneath the seat cushion?

E-brake, you get used to it. 

Headlamps, they did that intentionally because some people in focus groups preferred the color temp of the old halogens, and they are cheaper.  But you test drive during the day and usually don't get to see the headlights at night. 

Sunglass holder, I have no clue why they took that away. 

The electronic transfer case is nice, actually. You'll probably learn to like it. 

And the custom trim is pretty stripped in other ways too. But that is the custom trim, and its cheaper because of it. 

For me personally the custom trim is too stripped down. 

LT is the sweet spot for me. 

I think your truck looks really nice and I wouldn't mind driving it. It just comes down to whether you can live with its faults. Like what if this truck drove for the next 100k miles without a single problem, would that make it worth it? 

Edited by protovack
  • Like 2

Im talking about the bench seat that folds down with the storage inside. There is plenty of room they just didnt add it...  That and the headlights are the true deal breakers here. Considering they were included on the lowest model in 2016. Sadly im not certain theae new trucks will last 100k.. After the very first wash a few days later i noticed surface rust already starting on. The chassis and suspension/frame brackets. The fenders are super flimsy i can push on them and get them to flex and squeek. The speaker covers on the dash do not sit flush on all corners i can push them down and they flex. As in they are not attached fully. The quality just isnt where it was on the 2016. If it wasnt for the terrible black paint and ugly grey seats i probably would have kept the last one. Ill never do gm black again as long as i live.. It scratched if you looked at it funny ?

So why did you buy the 19?  All of these items could have been figured out within the first 5 mins of reviewing the truck?  

200.gif

Edited by RyanbabZ71
  • Like 16
  • Haha 2

I understand your complaints.

You should have taken it back right away and maybe upgraded.

I was thinking about the posts on the disappointments people post with their new trucks. 

How many of you can find flaws with the wife and you probably haven't traded her in. 

:)

• Like 3

I do miss the HID's as well. The truck I purchased does have LED headlamps but they are not as bright or "cool" looking as the HID's. The other items you can used too. The electric transfer case is nothing new, been on trucks for 20yrs. And most vehicles are going to electric parking brakes, saves weight and less parts to wear out. Activates in seconds, just need to get used to that. Great looking truck BTW

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Meintool said:

It does not have a manual parking break, it does have an annoying electric parking break that I have to wait for it to activate, deactivate before being able to drive off or get out.

It does not have a manual transfer case lever, it does have electronic transfer case buttons, that again, you have to wait for them to activate/deactive and even have to put the truck in neutral to activate/deactivate

Why do you have to wait on the parking brake, it automatically disengages when you put vehicle in gear and give it some gas, at least mine does,  as far as waiting for it to activate it seems pretty instant to me. Don't know about the single speed transfer case but the two speeds have been shift on the fly for many years, only time you have to put in neutral is to get into low range. Everything else seems pretty petty to me except for maybe the headlights.

• Like 3

I understand your complaints.
You should have taken it back right away and maybe upgraded.
I was thinking about the posts on the disappointments people post with their new trucks. 
How many of you can find flaws with the wife and you probably haven't traded her in. 
[emoji4]

I can’t believe the nit picky complaints about the new trucks. Gets worse each year. People expect more and more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 4

There are a lot of good reasons you chose this particular truck.  Focus on them.   When I purchased my '15 SLE it lacked a couple of features found on my '09 (auto-dim & auto fold mirrors) but I was introduced to others like back-up camera and heated seats!   These trucks have many configurations and all are designed to meet most of our needs most of the time.   The little items you have chosen to focus on suggests to me that you are upset over something else … loan payment perhaps?   You chose this particular truck for reasons that motivated you to trade...Enjoy! Its a beautiful truck!

A Ram or Ford at the same price point isn't going to have HIDs or LEDs either. Getting rid of the sunglasses holder was a dumb move by GM, I agree on that. It's not a deal breaker for me though. 

• Like 2

I can understand your frustration.My future father-in-law just purchased a custom trailboss. I just recently got a Z71 RST myself....Both trucks side by side its like night and day. Its frustrating seeing the custom so stripped down. Little features like even onstar or satilite radio as an option not being on the custom is very saddening. I didnt realize the stark contrast between the trim levels until actually seeing them side by side. 

I’d take your Trail Boss 100 times over a 2016 WT with a 4.3....headlights and the seat storage are solvable....if you do some digging here on the forums there are people who upgraded these things for not much money.

Besides, what are you going to trade into? The lower trim Rams and F150s have halogens too. At least GM gave you LED taillights. ?‍♂️

• Like 1

It's fascinating how guys will trade in perfectly good trucks for something they don't want. I'm pretty sure I saw a thread here the other day about somebody wondering if they can add the safety seat to a model that doesn't have it.

I've also seen many times the same thing with tow mirrors, guy absolutely must have the truck right now and will pay an obscene amount to install the mirrors when they arrive later.

To each their own but why not just wait until the right one arrives or simply order one to your liking? These things cost too much to compromise.

• Like 3

I can understand your frustration.My future father-in-law just purchased a custom trailboss. I just recently got a Z71 RST myself....Both trucks side by side its like night and day. Its frustrating seeing the custom so stripped down. Little features like even onstar or satilite radio as an option not being on the custom is very saddening. I didnt realize the stark contrast between the trim levels until actually seeing them side by side. 

That’s why they have different trim levels. People don’t always want everything. If a model doesn’t offer what you want they move to another model or add the items after market. I moved up to a HC because I didn’t like all the chrome on the LTZ models. I had the door handles painted and installed. I also had the trailboss lift added because I wanted the 6.2 and couldn’t get that in the trailboss for 19. I wish it was like BK (get it your way) but it’s not. Plenty of info out there showing what you get with each model

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 4