Adding headup display

6 hours ago, Welder2014 said:

Wondering if there is any way to add headup display to SLT trim level I have the cutout in the dash?

HUD is a fun feature when included with a new vehicle but not worth the money and effort as an aftermarket modification.  If driving in a manner that a glance of your gauges is problematic then other changes will be of much more benefit. Scanning your surroundings and being aware of your surroundings is a much safer driving strategy than fixating your eyes in a narrow field directly ahead.  (This may not be the case for racing on a straight track ? )

5 hours ago, Donstar said:

HUD is a fun feature when included with a new vehicle but not worth the money and effort as an aftermarket modification.  If driving in a manner that a glance of your gauges is problematic then other changes will be of much more benefit. Scanning your surroundings and being aware of your surroundings is a much safer driving strategy than fixating your eyes in a narrow field directly ahead.  (This may not be the case for racing on a straight track ? )

Thats great.

15 hours ago, Mountain boy said:

Why I turned mine off you can’t see it in the daytime wearing sunglasses, it was cool for about 5 minutes.

Polarized glasses will make it near impossible to see a HUD.

On my other cars HUD works great in full daylight even with sunglasses on (non polarized). 

Once you get used to a HUD you can never go back. Its a great feature. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, killramos said:

Polarized glasses will make it near impossible to see a HUD.

On my other cars HUD works great in full daylight even with sunglasses on (non polarized). 

Once you get used to a HUD you can never go back. Its a great feature. 

I have no problem seeing my HUD with polarized glasses.  Seems GMC addressed that by making them bigger and brighter.  

Same sunglasses on my wife's '16 Yukon, it is much harder to see.  

The entire purpose of polarized glasses is to reduce glare from offset reflections, which is exactly how a heads up display functions (it’s just a reflection from a screen off of the windshield). An example is reflections of the sun off water being reduced with polarized glasses as a primary selling feature.

Making it brighter might help but that probably says more about the glasses than the HUD. With perfect polarization, like using a high end camera polarizing filter setup correctly, the HUD really will disappear. Overall though using non polarized glasses just works better for a heads up display.

No need to take my word for it though:

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/style/advice/a7989/a-glaring-problem/

• Like 1