Tonneau cover for CarbonPro??

On 1/4/2021 at 2:42 PM, russellmm said:

There is a pretty popular youtube video of someone who have shown some quality control issues of the Revolver x4 (the cloth on the bottom of the rollers separating from the metal). Has anyone seen these issues?

This happened to me twice with my previous truck. BAK replaced the Revolver X4 the first time but after the second time I just moved on. I went to an Extang Solid Fold 2.0 and the first one leaked like crazy. Extang replaced it but I let the tonneau go with the truck. Both BAK and Extang are Truck Hero companies.

No expertise implied or expressed

I placed an order for the BakFlip MX4 for the Carbon Pro on December 9.  Initially they gave me a 12/31 delivery date.  Then they revised to a 1/31 delivery date.  Last week, they gave me a 3/4 delivery date.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/5/2021 at 12:36 PM, drdrh said:

I placed a Retrax pro off of my 2019 Silverado onto my new 2021 Carbon Pro Denali 1500 Duramax.  It took a little time to come up with a way to secure it, but for about $25 and time it looks like it did on my traditional bed.  I would insert pictures, but have no idea how.

Can you tell us exactly what you did to get it to work on the carbon pro?  Thats the tonneau im really set on.

James,

I removed to top bed covers to mark where the round holes are located, drill a 7/16" hole over these locations.  The bed is made to place "fender clips" through the square holes into the round holes next to them.  Using a 3/8" (or larger) to match the fender clips by 2" long.  Next assemble the retrax as described in the instructions, but prior to placing on the truck; measure from the tailgate to each of the holes on and drill a 7/16" hole, then using a dremel tool I turned the hole into a notch the same diameter 1/4" longer in front and behind this hole. I then mounted the cover as in the directions, using the white plastic "set screws" to position the bed.  Then using a 2" "fender screw" a metal tube spacer I picked up from NAPA and a washer to mount.  The spacer will need to be cut to length, be sure to account for the washer to fill the gap between the bed and the retrax rails.

IMG_0480.jpg

IMG_0483.jpg

IMG_0572.jpg

IMG_0573.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Got the Bakflip MX4 from BAK Industries and had it installed in around an hour. Also used the clamps that were recommended on this thread from MM1 (thanks Matt!) and they worked like a treat with no issues. Then I got inside my own head and read the instructions that came with the MX4 that included specific instructions for the CarbonPro so I wound up drilling through the plastic caps on the bed as I figured I would never remove the cover anyway since it allows full access to the bed.

Love this cover and the whole kit. It isn't waterproof yet... But I have plans on that. After a downpour at the shore it had a couple of leaks but honestly kept out probably 97% of the water that was coming down and we are talking buckets here.

Geat design, great system and great look that was designed for this truck from the outset. One of the posts to hold the cover up while traveling was damaged in transit but BAK shipped a new one next day so no issues there. Super happy with this purchase from this company. Now onto the next unnecessary upgrade...

On 10/20/2020 at 11:33 AM, White Duramax said:

I just recently purchased the Lomax cover and installed the rails.   It was a little rough at first but once you get the hang of it it’s quick.  I then took the cover and laid it on the rails to install, then noticed the edges on both sides of the cover were missing paint in many places.   I also noticed the seals were not as good as I had imagined considering it’s a 1k cover.  Some of the seals were coming apart from the aluminum.  

I am in the process of returning, I think I will be going with a Bak and making it fit as others have done.  I was very disappointed with the quality of the lomax, maybe I received one that was returned? Idk but I am pretty uspet with the time that has been wasted.  

16DDA239-D875-443D-82D4-0B985F3E486F.jpeg

D9D39A83-E82D-4ED6-A083-4F57C07B8896.jpeg

Mine also looked similar, I bought it 1 month ago. The rail seals were also torn and the inside of the cover was scratched. I wound up returning and ordered a bak mx4 designed specifically for Carbon Pro bed. Had to be made and shipped direct from the manufacturer. I should be getting it on Friday. 1 month after ordering. I'll update with the quality. 

Edited by Philbert
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Philbert said:

Mine also looked similar, I bought it 1 month ago. The rail seals were also torn and the inside of the cover was scratched. I wound up returning and ordered a bak mx4 designed specifically for Carbon Pro bed. Had to be made and shipped direct from the manufacturer. I should be getting it on Friday. 1 month after ordering. I'll update with the quality. 

I ended up getting the mx4 also. Good quality.  

I received and installed my BAK MX4 tonneau cover. Installation directions were clear with one exception - the installation of weatherstrip at the front of the bed. Based on my installation experience, the weatherstrip needs to be installed at the rear of the top of the front of the bed (away from the cab). With the tonneau cover adjusted so it overlaps the tailgate there is not much cover at the front to overlap this weatherstrip (poor or no overlap if you install the weatherstrip  in the middle or next to the cab).  I suggest setting the cover on the installed rails and positioning it fore/aft with respect to the closed tailgate to see where to install the weatherstrip at the front.

Installation went well, works well, looks good. I'm glad I got the BAK cover.

Art

• 3 months later...
On 2/17/2021 at 6:54 PM, drdrh said:

James,

I removed to top bed covers to mark where the round holes are located, drill a 7/16" hole over these locations.  The bed is made to place "fender clips" through the square holes into the round holes next to them.  Using a 3/8" (or larger) to match the fender clips by 2" long.  Next assemble the retrax as described in the instructions, but prior to placing on the truck; measure from the tailgate to each of the holes on and drill a 7/16" hole, then using a dremel tool I turned the hole into a notch the same diameter 1/4" longer in front and behind this hole. I then mounted the cover as in the directions, using the white plastic "set screws" to position the bed.  Then using a 2" "fender screw" a metal tube spacer I picked up from NAPA and a washer to mount.  The spacer will need to be cut to length, be sure to account for the washer to fill the gap between the bed and the retrax rails.

IMG_0480.jpg

IMG_0483.jpg

IMG_0572.jpg

IMG_0573.jpg

I just got a hold of a use retrax and I would like to install it like the way you did but It have a few question before i tackle the installation

• 6 months later...

Well my beautiful GMC hard rolling cover got ripped off and then slammed back into the bed during high winds in Rapid City, SD.  Luckily it slammed in hard and stayed because we had a long drive left to Kansas City with a bed full of expensive cargo.  The owner of my dealership is going to bat for my warranty claim with GM.  If my warranty claim is denied I won't do the rolling cover again.  They don't seem as robust as the folding or retractable options.

I guess the upside is that my carbon pro bed is already drilled and speed nuts installed for the next cover.

4.thumb.jpg.56cf9ce89d628c3c99992a7efba6250b.jpg

5.thumb.jpg.0031134f0cf2eeb836110d68e4ad1e3a.jpg

6.thumb.jpg.4aed8c78408374c17b9fed35eaefd986.jpg

12.thumb.jpg.bd71267f01c7cd28d2180f6473098aef.jpg

13.thumb.jpg.e48f3a5e9c22aa1f214c54f520e8853e.jpg

Edited by hammick